How's Bent Creek right now?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How's Bent Creek right now?

Sorry for another trail conditions request, but I don't see any recent ones or updates in the 'sticky' above.

Good chance I'll be in Asheville this weekend, and am hoping that Bent Creek is (or will be) dry enough to ride? Weather looks great but I think you guys got a fair amount of snow recently, so I wonder if I'll be confined to gravel roads?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Not sure exactly, but USFS posted roads closed in that area. Ledford Branch specifically.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    And knowing what it was like last year, riding when all that snow is melting, and a few days after even, can do a large amount of damage to the trails. If you ride tonight, probably won't be an issue, but all bets are off tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Please stay off until the freeze thaw stabilizes. It will be an absolute mess this weekend.

western NC

How's Bent Creek right now?

Not to mention inbound rain tonight and tomorrow as well.

mtbr member
    Okay, thanks. And yeah, that's why I asked about conditions. I'm not interested in damaging other people's trails.

mtbr member
    its proper ****ed right now...

will be for at least a week until we get sunny and dry weather.

FWIW... Laurel/Pilot and Farlow/Daniels hold up well due to the rockiness of those trails. If you gotta ride trail I would stick to steep, high elevation trails that are rocky. BC, Dupont, and machine built low elevation stuff will be peanut butter.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Hey all I just got this from the Dupont folks this AM. Just a heads up!

'DuPont State Recreational Forest Asks Visitors to Respect the Trails:
    The recent snow event has made DuPontís trail system vulnerable to damage from bicycle, equestrian, and hiking traffic. The Forest trail system will remain open but trail closures may be enacted if damage such as rutting and compaction occur. If you enjoy DuPontís trails, please consider giving them a break this week and after future snow and rain events.
    Thank you from the DSRF Rangers.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    its proper ****ed right now...

will be for at least a week until we get sunny and dry weather.

FWIW... Laurel/Pilot and Farlow/Daniels hold up well due to the rockiness of those trails. If you gotta ride trail I would stick to steep, high elevation trails that are rocky. BC, Dupont, and machine built low elevation stuff will be peanut butter.
    Thanks for the helpful advice, Banjopickin. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make it out to Laurel or Farlow, so it looks like I'll be skipping riding down there this weekend. I'd hoped that maybe the forest/gravel roads might be an option, but with the closings, that's sounds like it's out too. Oh well... thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice, Banjopickin. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make it out to Laurel or Farlow, so it looks like I'll be skipping riding down there this weekend. I'd hoped that maybe the forest/gravel roads might be an option, but with the closings, that's sounds like it's out too. Oh well... thanks again.
    You can still ride the forest roads, you just cannot drive on them when closed.

mtbr member
    Rode last night. The fire roads are in pretty good shape out of Rice Pinnacle. The bottom of Ingles Field is sloppy. I stayed away from all the lower trails figuring they would be really soft.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone ride Bent Creek today (Saturday)? Thinking of heading there tomorrow. Wondering if the trails have firmed up.

mtbr member
    FWIW, the trails in Spartanburg are in perfect shape. That area only got about 2" of snow and it has been warm since Thursday. I rode Southside yesterday and didn't even need to wash my bike. Y'all come on down the mountain and visit sometime.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    FWIW, the trails in Spartanburg are in perfect shape. That area only got about 2" of snow and it has been warm since Thursday. I rode Southside yesterday and didn't even need to wash my bike. Y'all come on down the mountain and visit sometime.

Thanks for the reply. We changed our minds after seeing rain moving into the Asheville area yesterday morning and decided instead to ride at Clemson. Saw your post after returning. Trails there were in excellent condition, even found some new trails which is always fun exploring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Rode several trails in Bent Creek this morning. The exposed trails like northern boundary are in bad shape. The whole community would appreciate it if those went unused for a few days. All of the covered trails are wet but generally in good shape. Greens lick is awesome, but a responsible rider would ride up and then down and avoid Boundary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any updates on BC status? I am planning to head out there tomorrow evening to do some unfortunate gravel grinding. Would love to have some intel on any singletrack options that have survived the snow/rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    Any updates on BC status? I am planning to head out there tomorrow evening to do some unfortunate gravel grinding. Would love to have some intel on any singletrack options that have survived the snow/rain.

BC is drying out slowly. Walked the doggies around 10am and it was a little squishy. With all the wind and sun today it very well could be tacked up nicely by tomorrow mid day. As always the lower trails hold moisture longer so look to the mid and upper sections if possible.