How many mountain bikers live in Asheville area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How many mountain bikers live in Asheville area?

Does anyone have an estimate of how many mountain bikers live in the Asheville area?

How about an estimate of how many visitors mountain bike while visiting the Asheville area per year?
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

Official Cooler Inspector
    Taking Bent Creek in to consideration, and this was five years ago - I assisted with a Saturday spring road side survey. Most of the people entering the area were nice enough to stop for a minute. Two of three vehicles were coming to ride. The total was aprox, 300.

Of that 300, almost half were from out of state. I could attribute that to the locals having gone to Pisgah/DuPont. A bit surprising was how many people I talked to had not heard of those areas.

To them, Bent Creek or Tsali were the primary destination points. How times have changed.

Maybe the regional bike shops could do an informal survey?
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Dig it!
    I saw 1400ish "likes" on the PAS website. But who knows?
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    They don't even let you live in Asheville unless you own a mountain bike. If you show up without one, the cops bring one to your house within the first week and garnish your wages to pay for it. If you can't ride from Rice Pinnacle to 5 points in less than an hour within 6 months of moving in, you are forcibly relocated to Hendersonville and forced to hang out with retirees at the Carl Sandburg home.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    They don't even let you live in Asheville unless you own a mountain bike. If you show up without one, the cops bring one to your house within the first week and garnish your wages to pay for it. If you can't ride from Rice Pinnacle to 5 points in less than an hour within 6 months of moving in, you are forcibly relocated to Hendersonville and forced to hang out with retirees at the Carl Sandburg home.
    THAT'S funny stuff. Now to get the coffee out of my laptop....

Thread Killer
    ... you are forcibly relocated to Hendersonville and forced to hang out with retirees at the Carl Sandburg home.
    But as some of us know, from Hendo you can be at ANY trailhead within 30-35 minutes, except maybe Kitsuma. Sure, it's by car, but there's a whole big world outside of Bent Creek ... if you can get out from behind all the sky-blue Buicks.

ready to ride
    I like Mike's answer.

Maybe call the Chamber of Commerce?

Nothing too scientific here but per the IMBA (which sites several sources) says there are approximately 40 million mountain bikers in the USA. The population of the USA is 311 million. If I am doing my math correctly that means about 12% of the population mountain bikes. Given the area we live in, I might increase that by a a couple of points. Lets round it to 15%, but that kind of sounds high to me. I suspect a good number of mountain bikers in that figure aren't trail riders but rider their "mountain bikes" on roads etc. So lets just go with 10% that actually mountain bike in the area. Makes math easier too.

So Asheville proper has a population of 84,000 that would mean there are 8,400 mountain bikers in Asheville. The metropolitan area which consists of Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson, and Madison counties has a population of about 400,000 so that would be 40,000 mountain bikers in the area.

You would think with that number of casual users we would have some leverage when it comes to "multiuse" trails. I'd venture to say there are a lot more mountain bikers than there are equestrians per capita.

Also makes sense that the local economy can support what 8 bike shops in Asheville proper?

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Also makes sense that the local economy can support what 8 bike shops in Asheville proper?
    We are closer to 20 shops that will work on a bike and that does not include the industry like I9, Cane Creek, Bystickle, Smoke bikes, I am sure I am missing more.

Pisgah Area SORBA Forum Whiteboard - You must be logged into PAS web site to post. Bike Shops & Bike Brands
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Pretty Hate Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by jack22 View Post
    Does anyone have an estimate of how many mountain bikers live in the Asheville area?

How about an estimate of how many visitors mountain bike while visiting the Asheville area per year?
    What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dingle View Post
    What do you get if you multiply six by nine?
    A gold star?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy View Post
    But as some of us know, from Hendo you can be at ANY trailhead within 30-35 minutes, except maybe Kitsuma. Sure, it's by car, but there's a whole big world outside of Bent Creek ... if you can get out from behind all the sky-blue Buicks.
    It could be worse. They could make you move to Spartanburg and ride road bikes (like me).

ready to ride

... and if we just ...

It could be worse. They could make you move to Spartanburg and ride road bikes (like me).
    What are these road bikes you speak of? Is it possible we have an infidel in our midst?

Mikey has admitted to owning a thong... least we not leave out the Cross Bike community. I've seen them on trails. Cross dressers unite!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Yeah - I just got my thong in last week. Here I am modeling it on my most recent ride:

In case you're wondering, yes I sometimes have too much time on my hands.

Lucky for you, I have progressive lenses. They only focus on the important aspects of vision. Nice bike!

(BTW: I use "threaded mode")

ready to ride
    Sweet handlebars! and I'm not talking about the ones on the bike either

Members who have read this thread: 0