How is FATS?- Mtbr.com

Thread: How is FATS?

mtbr member

How is FATS?

Gonna be heading up with a group of people from South Florida (possible bus trip) in 2 weeks end of Oct and we've heard mixed things on trails conditions. Could a local or someone who has ridden there very recently confirm if trails are open AND in good condition?

I've always heard great things about FATS but I was told the trails haven't been maintained. I'm looking for fast, flowy, jumpy kinda like Ridgeline and/or Bailey in NC.

Gonna head to Coldwater, AL too.

Any input appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Trails are usually well maintained, BUT hurricane may have impacted that recently. Search for SORBA-CSRA website for trail conditions before you leave. There's a phone number on there you can call too. Relative to Florida, trails are way fun. Lots of rollers and flow. If you ride it all, I think you can get 40+ miles with the 5 different loops. Don't expect anything like the stuff in WNC. There's no elevation to support that there.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Will do. Thanks

00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Just called the Hotline and the trail is currently OPEN.

Call before you haul (803)561-4025, dial 4 for the FATS conditions

I went a few weeks ago before the storm and the conditions were great. I would be very surprised though if there aren't a lot of new trees down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Gonna be heading up with a group of people from South Florida (possible bus trip) in 2 weeks end of Oct and we've heard mixed things on trails conditions. Could a local or someone who has ridden there very recently confirm if trails are open AND in good condition?

I've always heard great things about FATS but I was told the trails haven't been maintained. I'm looking for fast, flowy, jumpy kinda like Ridgeline and/or Bailey in NC.

Gonna head to Coldwater, AL too.

Any input appreciated

You're going to love Coldwater.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    The idea of FATS not being maintained is laughable. IME, it's one the most maintained trail systems in the SE. You're from Florida, so a good example from my experience is it's much more maintained than Santos.
    Wear BRIGHT ORANGE if riding any day except Sunday. The area is very popular with hunters.

mtbr member
    Best MTB tip I've been given for 2016! 👌

mtbr member
    I've heard great things about Coldwater. Looks like we are heading to Oak Mtn as well... never heard of it so need to do some homework

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    I've heard great things about Coldwater. Looks like we are heading to Oak Mtn as well... never heard of it so need to do some homework

Ridden Oak Mountain as well. Great trail system, make sure to get a map. If you're not sure about directions, don't hesitate to ask someone there. I found it easy to get turned around even with a map. Coldwater is much more "user" friendly I think. You'll have a blast at both of them though.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Both of these trail systems are on MTB Project. Get the app and you can track your location while riding.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Keep in mind, Coldwater and Fats are probably about 4 hours apart from each other, east - west with Atlanta right in between them.

I have not been to Fats, but I have ridden Coldwater and it is awesome, as is Oak Mountain. There is also an awesome, lesser known trail a little south of Coldwater called Sylaward which is super fast and flowy. There is enough mileage and variety between Coldwater, Oak mountain, and Sylaward to keep you smiling for several days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Local here; rode there Friday and there were only 2-3 trees down. I'd expect them to be cleared by now. You shouldn't have any problem with conditions when you come later this month, trail has been in good shape and gets enough traffic/maintenance to keep it pretty clear. All trails: 36mi, 2700 elevation

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Unless FATS is on the way, I'd recommend swapping FATS for Racoon Mtn in Chattanooga. You will be pretty close by when in AL. Although I haven't been to FATS before. Racoon has it all. Rock gnar, flowy, and high speed fun. Amazing views as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Unless FATS is on the way, I'd recommend swapping FATS for Racoon Mtn in Chattanooga. You will be pretty close by when in AL. Although I haven't been to FATS before. Racoon has it all. Rock gnar, flowy, and high speed fun. Amazing views as well.
    If hes driving from Oak Mtn to Chattanooga, you drive through and Huntsville and literally over Monte Sano Mtn. Id would be a crime not to stop and ride there. Monte Sano is a gem. Also you would pass directly by the trail at the US Space and Rocket Center. Only 4 miles or so but very fast and tight and right off the interstate