How is Coleman Boundry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How is Coleman Boundry?

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/bestrides/brcoleman.html

I'm just thinking about trails to bring my brother on during his visit to NC. He's a strong rider, but I'm afraid my favorite ride (Laurel Mt.) may be a little much, as he is a bit more XC oriented (Very strong athletically, but not used to the rocky stuff in Pisgah). Also, we will by on both of my bikes, so while one is on an Enduro Sworks with 5x5, the other will be on my Giant XTC HT, with it's harsh AL ride....

I'm leaning toward DuPont, possibly Bent Creek, or something. Coleman Boundry sounded pretty nice, and good for a daytrip (out and back from Charlotte).

Any comments?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Coleman boundry is a fun ride to do once, but that is about it. It is really remote and the single track descents are great, a little over grown, but none the less great. The problem I have with it is there really is not that much single track. The forest service road - single track ratio is not your favor. You climb, climb, and climb some more remote forest service roads and get very little single track in return. Don't get me wrong, it is a great ride to do, but it is not representative of the great single track Pisgah has to offer. This area has great potential if the Forest Service would allow some more trail building.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Punker
    Coleman boundry is a fun ride to do once, but that is about it. It is really remote and the single track descents are great, a little over grown, but none the less great. The problem I have with it is there really is not that much single track. The forest service road - single track ratio is not your favor. You climb, climb, and climb some more remote forest service roads and get very little single track in return. Don't get me wrong, it is a great ride to do, but it is not representative of the great single track Pisgah has to offer. This area has great potential if the Forest Service would allow some more trail building.
    Thanks, that is what I need to know. I'll skip it this time, maybe check it out on a 4-day weekend up there when I want to try something new and throw in some variety....

Sounds like a good scenery ride, but not the "if you only have one day to ride pisgah where would you go?" kind of ride....

Hell, Maybe I should just arrange to get him a FS bike, and then drag him up to any number of trails in the Davidson River or Mills River areas....

May 2004

Cb

Save Coleman Boundary for winter. Excellent snow riding especially when the road is gated.

mtbr member
    I'm not so sure putting a guy w/ strong legs and no technical skills on a big hit bike and then expecting him to keep up with you in Pisgah is a good idea. A FS bike is not going to make him technically proficient overnight, and it might make him over-confident. I ride every trail there is in Pisgah on my hardtail, so I don't think that should affect your trail decisions. You might want to just wait on him when he falls behind you on the downhills and rock gardens.

Not trying to be critical, but take if from me, crashing at a lower rate of speed hurts less. :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I'm not so sure putting a guy w/ strong legs and no technical skills on a big hit bike and then expecting him to keep up with you in Pisgah is a good idea. A FS bike is not going to make him technically proficient overnight, and it might make him over-confident. I ride every trail there is in Pisgah on my hardtail, so I don't think that should affect your trail decisions. You might want to just wait on him when he falls behind you on the downhills and rock gardens.

Not trying to be critical, but take if from me, crashing at a lower rate of speed hurts less. :-)
    No critique taken, although I was probably misleading in my post. He has good skill-set, Been riding MTB for 10-15 years and a Roadie for about 25 years, just not used to Pisgah. He'll likely be on the HT (I'll let him choose, but he rides a 4x4.5 at home, and has been really curious about how my HT rides, not to mention, when I went out there he put me on his '93 C-dale with rim brakes and a faulty head-shock and left me in his dust....).

Anyway, He's been riding a long time, and I believe he can handle any terraine I can offer up, including knowing when to walk a section. We last rode together in Washington State at a trail called Tiger Moutain. My recollection is that it was very similar in a lot of ways to Kitsuma. (Fire road up, fast singletrack with a few tecky sections down), we rode several other trails in the area that were fun. He's also been sending me pictures of his rides on Plains of Abraham Trail, Skookum Flats and a few others in the area, I'm dying to get out there and do those two and others.

I would easily take him on a trail like Laurel Mt. if we were both on equivelant bikes (HT or FS), but I'm afraid that the terraine would seperate us in a big way for the reasons you mention. In addition to riding, I also want to visit.

We've pretty much decided on Dupont. It is great for scenery, there are some nice "strolling sections" to get caught up on old times, etc. And I can still drag his ass up Burnt Mt and then maliciously drive his ass into the ground on the way back down for all the times he did the same to me growing up (Oh, did I forget to mention that he's my older bro, and there is plenty of payback that has been festering inside of me in a brotherly love kinda way )

All jokes aside, the replies have all been helpful. One of these days I'm going to get him out here for a 3-day trip. Then we can rent or borrow a bike and give a fitting tour of Pisgah.
    Last edited by bmateo; 06-01-2004 at 01:29 PM.