hike a bike shuck ridge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

hike a bike shuck ridge

Has anyone down hiked Shuck ridge on the Art Loeb trail from the BRP to access Farlow Gap? Looking to tie in Flat Creek with Farlow without dropping all the elevation on rt 215. Thanks for the advice.

drunken pirate
    Yeah, I've done it. You hike down about 1000 vertical feet. I would drop 215 instead and then take 5031 to get to Farlow.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Thread Killer
    I'm with driftwood on this one -- I haven't hiked Shuck, but popping over Pisgah Ridge from the end of Flat Laurel Creek isn't too bad, and that 215 downhill is wicked fast. The climb up to Farlow on that side isn't too horrible.

mtbr member
    Someone told that the Park service will write you a ticket if you are some road (????) going up to Farlow? Any truth to what I heard?
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

drunken pirate
    The National Park Service will write you a ticket if you ride your bike off the Blue Ridge Parkway roadway onto any of the trails that come off the parkway. For example, you should carry your bike down Big Creek until you get to the bike sign and should carry your bike up Pilot Rock until just past the top of Little Bald Mtn.

But what you are probably referring to is the recent closure of FR475 and Davidson River trail. If you ignore that closure the US Forest Service and/or Transylvania County Sheriffs will write you a ticket if you ignore that closure.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Thanks, I knew about the Pkwy rule. But another question on 475, does that mean you can't walk or ride past the 475 road closure? I think it's obvious about driving past it and getting a ticket. Between what two trails is the road closed (so I can look it up on my natgeo map). Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Thanks, I knew about the Pkwy rule. But another question on 475, does that mean you can't walk or ride past the 475 road closure? I think it's obvious about driving past it and getting a ticket. Between what two trails is the road closed (so I can look it up on my natgeo map). Thanks in advance.

Closed to ALL USERS is what the sign says. There's a big lighted sign right as you head into Pisgah on 276 and another at the closure. ALL USERS means you, me, everyone

FR475 and Davidson Rvr Trail (#650) are both closed. The actual closure is at each end of #650. You can get to Daniel Ridge / Cove Creek via FR471/FR475 (aka Cathy's Creek Rd) or via 215/SR1327/475 (1327 aka Shoal Creek Rd). You can ride up 475B and drop Cove Creek and back to the hatchery via Cat Gap but only until 4/15 when the seasonal trails close to bikes.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was just looking to get the easiest route up to do Farlow, have yet to do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm NOT a user...

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    I heard they're just about done with the 475 work. The roadbase is down and the blacktop should be laid soon, depending on weather and temperature.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Farlow Lap

On the subject of Farlowm access.

Can I just park at the Fish Hatchery and ride Butter> Long Branch> Cemetery to bypass the closure, Then the usual 229 > Farlow> Daniel Ridge ride?

Thanks,

Eric ||

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_dirtsurfer

Can I just park at the Fish Hatchery and ride Butter> Long Branch> Cemetery to bypass the closure, Then the usual 229 > Farlow> Daniel Ridge ride?

Thanks,

Eric ||
    If by that you mean going out the back of the parking lot up Cat Gap to Butter/Long Branch, yes, until April 15. Your call whether you want to slog up all the stairs, or take the long way around (475B > Cove Creek > 475). Cat Gap to the back of the parking lot is seasonal.

Heck, you could just climb up Butter ...

mtbr member

Thanks,

Eric ||

Less pushing route: 475B, 225, Cove Creek (down!), 475, 229 then Farlow
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Yes to climbing

Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Less pushing route: 475B, 225, Cove Creek (down!), 475, 229 then Farlow

Yea - not to mention more scenic and fun on the Cove Creek downhill.

BTW: On the way down from Farlow : Is there a landmark for the Daniel >225 sneak from Daniel?

I always ride it the other way.

Thanks,

E

drunken pirate
    Yea - not to mention more scenic and fun on the Cove Creek downhill.

BTW: On the way down from Farlow : Is there a landmark for the Daniel >225 sneak from Daniel?

I always ride it the other way.

Thanks,

E
    But if you are looking for the fastest route to Farlow it is Cat Gap > Butter > Long Branch > 5095 > 475

The 225 connector is at the very top of the climb on Daniel. If you really start going down you missed it. Not a sneak, it is now on the map.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    The 225 connector is at the very top of the climb on Daniel. If you really start going down you missed it. Not a sneak, it is now on the map.
    Once you climb past the Daniel split (stairs), staying left, and then up the root bole, it's on your left. No sign there that I know of yet, but it is on the map.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE=driftwood]But if you are looking for the fastest route to Farlow it is Cat Gap > Butter > Long Branch > 5095 > 475

How wet is this option?

Are the creek crossings ridable?

Speaking of getting wet: Peter Rajcani and I got run of got run off Daniel Ridge in 2008 by a lightning storm when we go to the river crossing at the bottom of 137/5046 the bridge was out.

Has that bridge been repaired?

E

drunken pirate
    [QUOTE=NC_dirtsurfer]
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    But if you are looking for the fastest route to Farlow it is Cat Gap > Butter > Long Branch > 5095 > 475

How wet is this option?

Are the creek crossings ridable?

Speaking of getting wet: Peter Rajcani and I got run of got run off Daniel Ridge in 2008 by a lightning storm when we go to the river crossing at the bottom of 137/5046 the bridge was out.

Has that bridge been repaired?

E
    I don't consider that option to be wet but you do have to ride across the small stream on Cat Gap as well as one or two on Long Branch. All are easily rideable. The bridge on 5046 has been repaired and is big enough to drive a car over (or a logging truck).
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Members who have read this thread: 0