Hi There ... "imminent" new resident ...- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

Hi There ... "imminent" new resident ...

Okay, so

... short version ...

We're in town (Charlotte) this week, among other activities the Mrs is starting work at her new gig, we're exploring the area, and looking for a place to lease and move into RSN.

Of course, I have a bike with me, and I'm hoping to get some dirt miles in. I have my load of info from MTBR, Trailforks, MTBProject, and some of the local groups' web info but what I do NOT have a head on is what's the situation vs rainfall. I know there's been significant stuff in the region over the last few weeks, and I have no idea how the terrain handles it.

And I dislike dealing with muddy crapped out equipment almost as much as I hate doing that to the trail.

So, simply, are there trails close to Charlotte that would be okay with current precip levels? I may have an opportunity for a longer jaunt, so with the rainfall levels I was eye-balling Uwharre also as it looks like rainfall has been lesser to the east. Even if I get time for a long duration run I doubt I have time for an All Day run this rounds, sadly, so something out in the mountains is really not likely for me, this run.

Now, last June or July, things may change. Depends upon the timing of the actual household move.

... as for me, since it's kind of courteous to intro one-self ...

Long time reader, long time poster. Been on dirt for a stupid long time (think: before Vint Verf invented the internet, ha ha ha) but really jumped the shark on MTB when I lived in Austin TX ('99-09). Some MTB racing, XC, Enduro. Some crazy solo events (most rewarding, Guts n Glory at Flat Rock Ranch for 76 miles of trail). Picked up DH while living in PA (Plattekill, Blue Mtn, Diablo/Mtn Creek primarly) even with some racing (even though I know better)..

My favorite riding is by-far the long all day thing, somewhere between 4 and 8 hours on the trail, social but moving pace, I'm not XC-winner. I've loved the long stuff I've found in PA (Michaux, Rothrock, Bald Eagle SF) and almost always came home uninjured. I'm truly looking forward to taking my climbing to a new level (hah, pun!) in exploring the WNC mountains. Have only lightly sampled previously, just enough to know that my wife is going to demand I get a Spot emergency beacon.

Anyway, thanks for reading, looking forward to meeting new bike people of all sorts.

I just wish this move was moved. Argh!

-bear

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Uwharre would be a good choice. Soil content has a lot of crushed rock and sand. We have still gotten a good amount of rain in the piedmont, however I think Uwharre would be ok. You might double check the local mtb group (trailblazers IIRC).

mtbr member
    Are you bear from the PA thread? If so, welcome to the south! I moved down from Philadelphia but am in Charleston. Charlotte has some good riding. Very different from PA (no rocks!) but fun none the less. Western Carolina is better but again, very different from PA.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Rocky River

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Are you bear from the PA thread?
    absolutely. I remember your name from various discussions. [[waves]]

I've only ridden in WNC once before (1 day at Dupont and one day a pretty small run into Pisgah) but remember the lower rock vs [most of] PA. I may be able to scale back my tire width choice a little bit. Maybe. Kind of accustomed to those 29x2.6 at this point.

The Mrs and I were out looking at rental properties today and afterwards got some time to explore, ended up out at Lake Norman SP. Saw a small amount of riders coming and going so I feel like that and Uwharre are my best bets this week.

I do appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    absolutely. I remember your name from various discussions. [[waves]]

I've only ridden in WNC once before (1 day at Dupont and one day a pretty small run into Pisgah) but remember the lower rock vs [most of] PA. I may be able to scale back my tire width choice a little bit. Maybe. Kind of accustomed to those 29x2.6 at this point.

The Mrs and I were out looking at rental properties today and afterwards got some time to explore, ended up out at Lake Norman SP. Saw a small amount of riders coming and going so I feel like that and Uwharre are my best bets this week.

I do appreciate the feedback.
    As mentioned, Rocky river trail is nice and the Back Yard trail is an absolute hoot. One thing I find is the MTB community is much tighter down south. More people are involved and if anything - the number of trails is increasing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Poston (George Poston Park) handles the weather better than a lot of the other Charlotte trails... and "never closes" but that doesn't mean you will encounter some muddy spots.

Chilling out
    Thanks again,

I've a long list of stuff to hit here now, and some basis to go on, as things go forward.

With house hunting and stuff I didn't get as much chance to get out as hoped, but I did get out and had a nice roll on Sunday.

Hi There ... "imminent" new resident ...-uwharrie-bear.jpg

Was a great venue for the tough-as-nails, forgiving-like-a-hangman, Canfield of mine.

I only had time for a single loop but clearly this is one of those places I need to plan on doing ping-pong loops (as I call them).

I also need to re-acclimate to southern temp / humidity, life's been too easy up north.

See y'all again, soon as I can!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Thanks again,

I've a long list of stuff to hit here now, and some basis to go on, as things go forward.

With house hunting and stuff I didn't get as much chance to get out as hoped, but I did get out and had a nice roll on Sunday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uwharrie-bear.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	1201035

Was a great venue for the tough-as-nails, forgiving-like-a-hangman, Canfield of mine.

I only had time for a single loop but clearly this is one of those places I need to plan on doing ping-pong loops (as I call them).

I also need to re-acclimate to southern temp / humidity, life's been too easy up north.

See y'all again, soon as I can!
    The heat is something else down here but you get used to it. Before long, if it goes below 70, you will have to wear arm and leg warmers!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The heat is something else down here but you get used to it. Before long, if it goes below 70, you will have to wear arm and leg warmers!
    Ah, I remember those days, from when I lived in Austin TX. Cold was "wear jeans and shoes instead of sandals and shorts" and hot was "quit frying an egg on my head."