help with trip to Tsali- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

help with trip to Tsali

I'm thinking about making a trip down to the Pisga area next week. I'm looking for some advice on trails to ride. Middle age guy a 10 and 15 year old. We're low intermediate but are riding a lot these days and we're not afraid to walk a little to ride some good trails. The kids ride the beginner and intermediate loops at Rocky Knob ine Boone almost daily and while they have to stop and rest on the uphills some they ride everything except for one rock garden if that gives anybody a reference. I'm thinking Tsali may be the place for us . I've read it may be a little less technical but I'm open to suggestions. Also need a suggestion for a good family campground. Like for it to be relatively close to the trails but it's more important that the wife and rest of the kids have something fun to do while I'm riding.
    Thanks
    Bryan

mtbr member
    I'd say go to DuPont instead - closer to Boone area, more scenic, and more trails of different types to choose from. Lots of hikes and waterfalls to see, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    DuPont is a nice area to ride and will probablly fit what you are looking for. If you do go to Tsali and don't want to stay in the campground there the Big Nantahala Campground is just up from the NOC and right across the street from Endless River Adventures. It is right there on the river so it would give yoiur family some water to play in while you were out rideing.
    Last edited by scmtbiker; 07-27-2011 at 02:09 PM.

pronounced may-duh
    If you go to Tsali, try Tumbling Water camground. It's very close to the trailhead, the people who run it are awesome and they have a killer trout pond for fishing. My kids LOVE that place.

Another idea is Wilkesboro. Super close to Boone and great trails for all levels of riders. They also have camping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you want to climb go to Tsali. I don't exactly know how they managed it, but that place seems like nothing but constant uphill. Brevard has some amazing riding for all skill levels. If you're doing the knob on a regular basis then I think Dupont would be a good fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks everybody I really appreciate it. We're going to spend some more time in Wilkesboro on those trails but for this trip we're getting out of town for a few days before the kids go back to school and I go back to teach. Plus it's just HOT down there. 80* at 8 AM is not my idea of fun. Maybe this fall. We're ok traveling a couple of hours to get away. Really travel time is not an issue for Pisgah, Tsali or DuPont. As of right now I'm thinking we'll go to DuPont based on the recommendations. So the next thing is recommendations for trails to ride there (start slow and work our way up in difficulty) and a good family campground in the area. Also if it's not a real long trip we could go at Pisgah or Tsali if you guys recommend it. I'm thinking we'll be there for 4 days. Hopefully we'll get a half day in on day one, then 2 full days and no riding on the 4th day. Just pack and head home. I doubt we'll ride all day on our 2 full days. Maybe ride in the morning. Then let the kids rest (and me) for a couple of hours then go back out in the afternoon. Guys any advice you can give me to make this a great trip I'd really appreciate. In the future if I can help out if anybody wants to come to Boone I'll return the favor. We're getting some great places to ride up here!
    Thanks again,
    Bryan

Official Cooler Inspector
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the help. I've been checking out that campground but I've got to call them to see what their policies are. We've got a tent for us and a tent for the kids but they've got some policies that may make it hard for us to fit everybody on one site.

Thanks for the maps too. Seems like maybe we can get this together. Keep the info and suggestions coming.

One other question. The other family that's supposed to be coming with us is now getting wishy-washy about going. Do any of you with experience at DuPont have any feelings one way or the other about me riding with my 10 year old daughter? How risky are the trails? From a safety standpoint I basically consider myself to be riding solo when I'm with her. If I get hurt she's probably not a reliable safety partner. If anything I kind of consider it to be more risky than if I'm by myself. I've got to make sure she's ok. Are the trails easy/safe enough for me to take her solo? Or is there enough other traffic that if I get hurt someone will probably come along fairly quickly? I really hope we can get down there but if we can't ride safely we'll probably put it off until later.

Thanks
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Cascade Lake campground at DuPont is a great place to camp.