Help planning Dupont route- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Help planning Dupont route

I'll be in NC next week to celebrate my 30th birthday and am trying to plan a couple rides. Day 1 will be Dupont, and Day 2 Bent Creek. I think I have Bent Creek figured out as I plan to do the following loop (other suggestions are welcome):

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3408618

Back in April, I rode the "Best of Dupont" route on MTBProject and enjoyed it. However, I'd also like to ride Cedar Rock / Big Rock / Burnt Mountain if I can. Can anyone recommend a route that includes those trails along with Ridgeline, Hooker Creek etc that is no longer than 15-20 miles, or am I trying to do too much at once? A couple people I'll be riding with probably won't be able to ride Bent Creek the following day if I drag them on a 25 mile outing on day 1.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Side note, I'd be willing to break it up into two smaller routes, one leaving from Lake Imaging and the other from Corn Mill Shoals.

mtbr member
    Park at Corn Mill Shoals lot. Corn Mill to Burnt Mountain clockwise, Nooks, Little River to end, up Cedar Rock, down Big Rock, up Longside, right on Pitch Pine, cross street, left on Sheep Mountain, immediate right on Cascade, left on street, right on Rock Quarry, straight on Buckhorn, right on Cannon Creek, right on street, follow until turns to gravel, continue until you see mailboxes and trailer on right, make that right, follow until back in forest (you will be back on Rock Quarry), continue on Buck Ridge, left on Micajah, right on Wilke, left back to car.

https://www.strava.com/activities/91...S&v=1490463198

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Side note, I'd be willing to break it up into two smaller routes, one leaving from Lake Imaging and the other from Corn Mill Shoals.
    I just noticed you wanted to include Ridgeline and such in your route, which what I posted doesn't accommodate. Personally, I'd rather not drive to Lake Imaging from another lot. The route I posted is a blast, especially Cannon Creek, if you don't absolutely have to ride Ridgeline. Save that for another day.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Here you go, this route will be perfect for you. Note in this route you're doing Burnt Mountain counterclockwise which means climb the tech, descend the flow. Do it clockwise if you want to climb the flow and descend the tech. Bring extra socks for the stream crossings! https://www.trailforks.com/route/dupont-tech-and-flow/
    Last edited by rpearce1475; 05-31-2017 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Here you go, this route will be perfect for you. Note in this route you're doing Burnt Mountain clockwise which means climb the flow, descend the tech. Do it counter clockwise if you want to climb the tech and descend the flow. Bring extra socks for the stream crossings! https://www.trailforks.com/route/dupont-tech-and-flow/

That is a great route. Highly recommended.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    +1 for this route. Did it a couple of weekends ago. It has just about every riding condition there is.

The creek crossing is slippery as hell. Extra socks is good advice. Wear socks for grip during the crossing.

P.S. If you see my sock in the creek, please lay it out on a rock to dry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehosephat View Post
    +1 for this route. Did it a couple of weekends ago. It has just about every riding condition there is.

The creek crossing is slippery as hell. Extra socks is good advice. Wear socks for grip during the crossing.

P.S. If you see my sock in the creek, please lay it out on a rock to dry.
    Yes, and when I was there, the creeks were really high, not fully knee deep but darn close!
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Here you go, this route will be perfect for you. Note in this route you're doing Burnt Mountain counterclockwise which means climb the tech, descend the flow. Do it clockwise if you want to climb the flow and descend the tech. Bring extra socks for the stream crossings! https://www.trailforks.com/route/dupont-tech-and-flow/
    This is a similar route to what we usually do when we come up. So what is the Barn Trail like? I usually climb up Conservation Rd and descend Air Strip. IMO, it's also worth hitting Pitch Pine and 3 Lakes; they're entertaining enough and certainly better than just riding the gravel road.

mtbr member
    I just mapped a very similiar route out for a ride up there in a couple of weeks, only we were starting at Corn Mill Shoals lot.
    RideMFRide