Help me plan a trip?- Mtbr.com
    stl_burner

Help me plan a trip?

We're looking to make a trip to N. Carolna from St. Louis for a camping / riding vacation. We need around three days of good hardcore XC riding. We also want to camp or stay at some kind of primitive cabin (cheap!), optimally at the trails. Showers are almost necessary. We figure we want to do one day at Tsali for the speed, one day at DuPont, and one or two days in Pisgah. Where should we stay? What trails should we hit in Pisgah and Dupont? Any help / suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Oh yeah, it wouldn't be bad to hit a bar one night in Asheville or something. Word on that would be great also. Thanks in advance.

pronounced may-duh
    In Dupont, I recomend the eastern slickrock areas arround the Corn Shoals parking lot. In Pisgah, Caney bottoms is a fun ride access is from the fish hatchery. Also there are many good single track trails in the mills river area. Mills river has campsites. You could ride right from you campsite. For both Dupont and Pisgah I would get maps and posibly a guide book or two. Also, heck out the website mountian biking in WNC.

There are many good bars in downtown Asheville. Jack of the Wood is a brewpub if you are a beer person. Most places have live music. Where to go depends on what you want to listen to and who is playing that night.

mtbr member
    You can usually camp at Tsali, there are showers. I understand the campground was closed over the winter, so call first.

Davidson River is a nice Campground in Pisgah, Dupont is a 15 min drive, no need to break camp.

Check out Black Mountain trail if you want hardcore, also Laurel Mountain.

Agreed on Jack of the Woods in Asheville (bluegrass). Also Westville Pub (smoke free). Orange Peel another option, less mellow.

Cyclist

check out this site

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

a great resource for planning a trip to Pisgah.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

white boy extraordinaire

Another good resource....

Is the Falcon Press book Mountain Biking North Carolina, by Tim Muth. That, coupled with www.mtbikewnc.com should get you going pretty good. They offer variations on the same areas and maybe a little different insight on the same trails. Not knowing anyone when I moved here, those were two of my best friends.

Barleys and Mellow mushroom, in Asheville, are two other good places for beer each carrying around fifty beers each on tap. The pizza is pretty good at both too.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude