Help me plan my vactaion please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me plan my vactaion please

I live in Florida and plan on heading up to North/South Carolina for a few days vacation. I'm not looking for just the best riding, but the best overall expierence. This includes just the scenery. After looking at pictures, I already know that I will be riding Pisgah National Forest. Are there any certain trailheads or trails in particular there that I should hit up? What other places should I look at? I wouldnt mind riding a trail or two in south Carolina on the way to N.C or comming back out of it. I also wouldnt mind doing a little fishing on one of the days.

I also need trailheads that either have a campground attached, or are within a few miles of one. I am not going to be staying in hotels. I plan on bringing my tent and camping every night.

When will the weather be best? I like chilly nights. I'm mainly just concerend about rain. My job is very flexable with me taking time off, so I can litteraly look at weather forcasts for a few days in advance and then decide to take off with just a day or two notice. I am trying for late March, early April.

Thanks for any help. I really need a vactaion right now so I'm trying to make sure this one goes well. BTW, I ride a Giant Reign so it can handle some decents hits. I would like to finally do some faster downhill stuff, as living in Florida kinda kills my chances here.

mtbr member
    If you consider yourself a pretty good mtber, Laurel/Pilot is the can't miss Pisgah ride in my opinion. Beautiful woods, massive views, and great tech climbing and descending. There is one major league hike a bike that has been known to kill the weak, but it's not that long.

For DuPont, the most killerest riding/scenery combo is easily accessed by parking at Corn Mill Shoals and doing the Burnt Mountain/Big Rock thing. A great route for this is here:
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1101

Stop at an LBS, buy some maps, and ask them to show you the rides on it. This is BY FAR the best way to get the low-down, IMO.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    think about basing yourself out of the fish hatchery area near brevard. there's plentiful free campingm and it gives you a centralized location to the hatchery trails, dupont state rec area, and the laurel/pilot epic.

and, the davidson river is right there for some very state supported trout fishing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into those trails and camping areas.

I dont consider myself an expert rider, but I can get through most everything we have around here, and that includes an IMBA expert level trail. If the views are that good on the Laurel/Pilot trail, then I'll make sure to ride that.

Whats the weather usually like late March/early April?

Also, is Looking Glass Rock near these trails? It looks like there is a hiking trail that goes to the top of the rock, and that is definitley something I would like to do.
    Last edited by dkbikes4life; 02-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    You can have weather anywhere from warm, the 70's to very cold with snow possible.You probably need to pack prepared for almost all ranges of weather. A few years ago Mt. Pisgah had 57" of snow, IN MAY!
    http://www.accuweather.com/.../anniv...of-nc-snow.asp -
    So you think you can jump!

drunken pirate
    You should drive straight to Pisgah Forest, NC and then stay at Davidson River Campground or a free roadside spot nearby. Stop in one of the local bike stores right out the forest gate and buy a #780 map and have them point out a few rides. Laurel > Pilot has some good views as do lots of other trails. I would recommend the Black Mtn. trail myself.

Looking Glass Rock is 8 miles down the highway from the forest gate. It is a nice hike but rather crowded at times. One of my suggestions for a hike would be to go to the top of John Rock at sunset and watch as the light plays across the giant Looking Glass Rock right in front of you.

Lots of good fishing right there on the Davidson River as well.

The weather in March and April is as unpredictable as it gets. It could be 70 and sunny or 20 and snowing and everything in between.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

pronounced may-duh
    Lotsa great suggestions already.

If you want to camp at Davidson River, make a reservation. They are booked solid on most weekends. If you want a free roadside site, arrive early as they fill up fast.

Cedar Rock in DuPont has some very good views and riding on solid rock is a unique experience. Also there are some great waterfalls in DuPont. If your looking for scenery, DuPont is a sure win and all of it is very accessible.

Pisgah is also great but you will have to work just a bit harder. Black Mtn trail has tremendous view but it's kinda hard to get to. The ride down if very fun.

Bennett gap also has a huge view and and awesome downhill. But it's only open to bikes before April 15th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    But it's only open to bikes before April 15th.
    Really? That's good to know (I didn't). I like Black better than Bennett (personal preference).
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Really? That's good to know (I didn't). I like Black better than Bennett (personal preference).
    There are several seasonal trails. Open to bikes only during the winter from October 15 - April 15.

Bennett Gap
    Cat Gap
    North Slope
    Pink Beds
    are some of the most popular seasonal trails.

mtbr member
    I was looking at maps trying to figure out where all the places mentioned are in relation to each other. I found the Davidson river campground and looking glass rock. Is the black mountain trail in the same area? I saw a town called Black Mountain, but it's about 50 miles away. Also, is the laurel/pilot trail near the davidson river campground? I checked the campsites website and they are almost completely open. My boss also said that a one or two day notice is fine, so I can wait until a window of good weather appears.

Also if I'm looking at the map correctly it looks like dupont is only a short drive south east of the campground so I'll probably head there for one day.

In any case, I'll will stop at a lbs there to grab a trail map.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    I was looking at maps trying to figure out where all the places mentioned are in relation to each other. I found the Davidson river campground and looking glass rock. Is the black mountain trail in the same area? I saw a town called Black Mountain, but it's about 50 miles away. Also, is the laurel/pilot trail near the davidson river campground? I checked the campsites website and they are almost completely open. My boss also said that a one or two day notice is fine, so I can wait until a window of good weather appears.

Also if I'm looking at the map correctly it looks like dupont is only a short drive south east of the campground so I'll probably head there for one day.

In any case, I'll will stop at a lbs there to grab a trail map.
    Black mtn trail (not the town) is across the road from Davidson River Campground.

Laurel Mtn trail and pilot rock trail are off FS 1206.

You really need the trails illustrated map #780 to navigate this part of Pisgah
    Also, get the DuPont map (that place is very confusing). Both are available at any of our local bike shops.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Im planning on camping at the Davidson River Campground as well and seem to be in the same situation as dkbikes4life. Not to jack your thread but which trails exactly are close to the campground? Black Mountain. DuPont? Tsali? Laurel/Pilot? Warrior Creek? Bent Creek? I based my campsite choice based on the place that was closest to as many trailheads as possible and ordered the #780 map as was suggested. Any help would be awesome!
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freaknunu
    Im planning on camping at the Davidson River Campground as well and seem to be in the same situation as dkbikes4life. Not to jack your thread but which trails exactly are close to the campground? Black Mountain. DuPont? Tsali? Laurel/Pilot? Warrior Creek? Bent Creek? I based my campsite choice based on the place that was closest to as many trailheads as possible and ordered the #780 map as was suggested. Any help would be awesome!
    If you get here before April 15th, Northslope is a fantastic 4 mile loop right out of the Campground. Could not have been more fun last weekend. Then go across the street to find Black Mtn, Sycamore, Thrift. Personnally, when I want to do Black Mtn, I ride up the gravel (Clawhammer or Clawhammer to Maxwell Cove) and then go down Black Mtn. (all mentioned except NS are NOT seasonal...the map will tell you)

Dupont is about a 20 min drive away. Warrior and Tsali are hour+ drive away.

pronounced may-duh
    this route is very popular and starts right across the road from the campground

This one is also very fun and in the same area

Like the chick said, if you arrive before april 15th, you can mix in the seasonal trails like north slope and bennett gap. Dupont is also close by. Get a map or better yet hook up with a local to get you a guided tour. DuPont is very confusing if you don't know the trails from the roads.

Members who have read this thread: 0