• 11-03-2014
    woodyak
    Help me plan my trip to Asheville/Pisgah
    Me and some buds want a last hurrah before the winter really hits. We're looking to hop on a flight from Boston to Charlotte and zip over to Asheville to tear into some of your singletrack. I'm thinking we'd come in for a long weekend on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Maybe do Thursday and take a late flight back on Sunday. This would give us a half day on Thursday and 2 full days on Friday and Saturday and a half day on Sunday. We'd be coming down there with some burly 6x6 bikes. We're not afraid to climb but we'd prefer to shuttle. Wouldn't mind doing an all day epic XC thing for at least one of the days. So I guess I'll start with some questions:

- Hows the weather in the middle of November? Any snow going on? Too cold to camp?
    - Any recommendations on cool places to stay? Wouldn't mind being near downtown so we cold walk to food and bars.
    - What's the best way to figure out rides? Are there maps we could purchase? Any online resources?
    - How's the shuttling scene? Worthwhile for us to get a 2nd rental car?

Any help would be SUPER appreciated. More than willing to reciprocate with intel on the Boston/New England area.

Cheers!
  • 11-03-2014
    acer66
    We already had snow and by the time Thanksgiving comes it will be pretty cold.
    At what temperature is it to cold to camp? Only you know that.
    You might want to check out The Bike Farm
    I like these maps Kee Mapping and Surveying, P.A. Asheville, NC
    The hub or Sycamore cycles in Brevard are good places to start to get info.
    Asheville, I do not even know where to start.
    You will have no problem to find good food or drinks.

I hope that helps at least something since I am pulling stuff randomly out of my head and I do not live here that long.
  • 11-03-2014
    kjlued
    Shuttling this area IMO is the crappiest way to enjoy it and all the trails. Very few ways to get good shuttle runs in here.

The maps made my Pisgah Map Company are by far the best trail maps for the area and easiest to follow. The quality is also top notch. You can buy them at any bike store.
    They have one for DuPont, one that covers Bent Creek and most of Pisgah and now one for Pisgah Grandfather Mountain area.

I might start out the first half day at DuPont and then hit Pisgah on the full days.
    The Bike Farm does have camping available that will have you close to DuPont and you can ride from your campsite.

Like mentioned, we already got 5+ inches of snow on the morning of Nov 1. It all melted that day and warmed up nicely today. 2 weeks from now who knows.

BTW, I would consider renting bikes from The Hub before bringing your own bikes. It will be a lot easier and and probably not cost anymore than flying your existing bikes. You are looking at 3 days of rentals @ $65 a day (for a top line full suspension) which comes to $195. I think the going rate on airlines is $100 each way.
  • 11-03-2014
    wi1trackrider
    Just got back from a 5 day NC tour. Stayed 2 nights/3 days around Pisgah. I think I lucked out and caught the last warmish weather weekend. As mentioned, fall brings quite a range in weather conditions. Be prepared temps from 30-70, with a mix of precipitation. I've been to Pisgah quite a few times over the past years and would say the following:

- Some National Forests campgrounds (Davidson River just outside of Brevard for one) are open year round. Again, depends what your tolerance is on temps. Late October had night time temps in the mid 30s (chilly for tent camping, at least IMO). How would you bring all your camping gear when flying in? If staying in a hotel or lodge/condo your options would be either in Asheville, or Brevard/Hendersonville areas. IMO - pros of Asheville are closer to 'the city' - food, drink, etc. Cons - further away from a majority of riding spots, but not much of a drive. Brevard is a half hour drive from Asheville. Brevard - pros are you are literally on top of 100s of miles of trails. Cons - small town (not a wide selection of food/drink/entertainment).
    - Maps. Suggest National Geographic's Maps Illustrated one. Don't recall the number off hand, but they have one that covers all of Pisgah. It is very accurate on trails, forest roads, etc. I got it the first time out there and still reference it each trip. Just need to work the map with trail intel from ride reports, etc. The map shows all trails, but not all trails are necessary suggested for biking. I picked a map up for DuPont at Sycamore Cycles in Brevard.
    - For rides I'd suggest checking out the SORBA website. They have some good 'intro to Pisgah' type rides varying from beginner to holy sh!t what did I get myself into. Visit the local shops. I know Sycamore Cycles in Brevard has ride cue sheets. You'll still need a good map though. Comb through this forum. Trail routes are always being discussed.
    - Actual ride suggestions: a day at Bent Creek in Asheville. Kind of the token county park type of setting, but it is very big with some nice trails. Some people talk down on it as it is not true back country riding, but when coming from out of town I think it's a good spot to hit. It's a guaranteed good ride. Well maintained, well signed. Can ride almost everything in an afternoon, then double back and hit your favs. With your 6" bikes, their are some good trails to use them on here (Greenslick for one). Good place to combine with a night in Asheville if you end up staying out in Brevard. Good map available on line at SORBA I believe. Another day can be spent at DuPont State Forest. Nothing too burly that I recall, just a really nice forest with some cool singletrack all around it. Other days can be spend riding in Pisgah proper. Suggest riding out of the Davidson River/Visitor Center and Fish Hatchery trailheads, but that's just because I'm most familiar with those locations. Ask 5 people and you'll get 5 different ride suggestions. Each major trailhead can be used as a ride start point for a 5 mile trot or 40 mile epic.

Hopefully at least some of this is useful to you. Have fun!
  • 11-03-2014
    AVL-MTB
    In Asheville, you can experience all 4 seasons in 1 week. We had snow on Saturday, and today was sunny and shiny :)

Check out Bent Creek. Nice trails with lots of climbs and rocks. No shuttle there, but you park ride beside the trails (Rice Pinnacle). The weather is unpredictable. Check in advance. Like someone said, we've had snow this weekend. Look into Tsali, Bent Creek, and Kitsuma. Nice views!

Motion Makers have a good map for $15 and they're close to Bent Creek.
  • 11-03-2014
    rocksolid
    In Ashville I'd stop in at Beer City Bikes. This is a great bar, bikes and a big screen filled with MT. Biking. Its rite across from Wild Wings and always has local riders hanging around. Many craft beers on tap. From here it's easy walking to any downtown Ashville hang out. Next to the trails what I miss most about living there has to be Beer City. As far as trails I don't think you can go wrong..
  • 11-03-2014
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
    In Ashville I'd stop in at Beer City Bikes. This is a great bar, bikes and a big screen filled with MT. Biking. Its rite across from Wild Wings and always has local riders hanging around. Many craft beers on tap. From here it's easy walking to any downtown Ashville hang out. Next to the trails what I miss most about living there has to be Beer City. As far as trails I don't think you can go wrong..

Are you an owner of beer city? You seem to mention it often, and aside from you, I rarely, if ever, hear anyone mention it. I work very near by it, and occasionally will stop in for sundries out of pure convenience, but that's it. The selection is meh as is the staff. They do have beer. But so does everywhere else. I just don't see the attraction. 2 e's in Asheville, NC.
  • 11-03-2014
    rocksolid
    I really just love them. It just feels good there. My idea of heaven. Sorry
  • 11-03-2014
    rocksolid
    The compu training is good when the weather turns crap.
  • 11-04-2014
    kjlued
    Mark, he is from SC and that is just the bike shop he found.
    Maybe he hasn't been to The Hub yet. I dunno. lol
  • 11-04-2014
    mbmb65
    Quote:

I really just love them. It just feels good there. My idea of heaven. Sorry

No need to be sorry. It's ok. I was just curious why you had the infatuation with that shop. I guess it's a roadie thing.
  • 11-04-2014
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

I reckon.
  • 11-04-2014
    matty22c
    Quote:

Or maybe he went to the hub and they treated him like he had ebola.
  • 11-04-2014
    woodyak
    Thanks guys for the info/advice. Looks like the weather might be a little sketchball for this time of year but I still want to make it down there at some point. When does it start warming up? Do you generally have snow on the ground in the spring? Would late April/early May be a good time to get down there?
  • 11-04-2014
    MarcusSommers
    Its hard to predict the weather around here, and you can have dry trails in some places and wet or snow in others. This is a large area, with lots of elevation change. Asheville is an hour from Dupont, and it will take an hour to get from Asheville to several of the Pisgah Trail heads. I think the weather channel is fairly bad at predicting weather here, but check the 10 day forecasts for Bent Creek Nc and Pisgah Forest NC. They are close enough to plan a trip. Rain moves in and out so just be flexible. I doubt anyone will open up about shuttle options, however Kitsuma in Old Fort is a likely research point for you.
  • 11-04-2014
    matty22c
    The Bike Farm runs some shuttles. You should seriously consider calling them up, they could be one stop shopping for you: camping, shuttles, bike rentals, guides, beer (Oscar Blues/Bike Farm), etc. Add in ride in/out access to Dupont and it is hard to beat. Food options are a little limited (nightlife too), but brevard and hendersonville aren't too far away for food options.
  • 11-04-2014
    WNCGoater
    I'm not knocking shuttles but most of this whole area has trails that, with a small amount of planning and the guys in the local bike shop, can be hooked up into a loop so you end where you started. Rarely do the guys I know and ride with would even consider a shuttle.
    And if it is a requirement that you rent a 2nd car then by all means, get that thought out of your head and hook up trails into a loop. Just no need for a shuttle.
  • 11-04-2014
    WNCGoater
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matty22c View Post

I've heard a number of people that have had a bad experience there with a somewhat "aloof" staff. I've only been in a time or two, preferring Sycamore.
  • 11-04-2014
    jnroyal
    Just want to point out that the trails in Pisgah don't close when wet so even if there is some rain you can still hit the trails right afterward (unlike a lot of urban trail systems).

As for where to stay, there aren't any spots that are both close to trailheads and good restaurants/bars so you've got to pick one or the other. I'd stay in the downtown Asheville area if it's really important to you to be near good beer/food. There are too many good bars and restaurants there to try to list them all (make sure you get to Wicked Weed), whereas in Brevard your only options are Oskar Blues, Brevard Brewing Co., and a few Mexican restaurants.

But Brevard is closer to the classic Pisgah trails so if you're planning on staying in and cooking at the house/campsite most nights then Brevard is a viable option.

By the way, Bent Creek does have good trails and is worth checking out but it gets extremely crowded there on summer nights and on weekends so finding a parking spot can be tough. Same with DuPont on weekends during leaf season. Get there early.
  • 11-04-2014
    kjlued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matty22c View Post

Maybe he does have ebola.

(BTW, not a huge fan of the Hub but it seems for every other out of towner they are the only bike shop in the area)
  • 11-04-2014
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Just want to point out that the trails in Pisgah don't close when wet so even if there is some rain you can still hit the trails right afterward (unlike a lot of urban trail.

And why do you think that is?
  • 11-04-2014
    rocksolid
    Ouch... Brutal bunch, definitely not a "roadie". That was below the belt. I'll have to check the hub out after I stop shaving my legs ;)
  • 11-04-2014
    rocksolid
    If you gentleman aren't scared of a little Ebola I could meet you for a ride on Friday. I'm pretty sure there won't be any contractors for me to babysit.
  • 11-04-2014
    rocksolid
    No reply and I'll be kayaking the upper green on Friday.
  • 11-05-2014
    kjlued
    Fridays are a no go for me.

If you are hitting the Green River area, you should try the trails out there too. They are super fun if you do them in the right direction. However this time of year I may suggest only hitting those trails on a Sunday. They are a little difficult to navigate at the top though and need better signage.
  • 11-05-2014
    AVL-MTB
    Quote:

If you gentleman aren't scared of a little Ebola I could meet you for a ride on Friday. I'm pretty sure there won't be any contractors for me to babysit.

Where at?
  • 11-05-2014
    acer66
    Quote:

(BTW, not a huge fan of the Hub but it seems for every other out of towner they are the only bike shop in the area)

They serve beer.
  • 11-05-2014
    Mike Brown
    Impossibru. Too many points of access.
  • 11-05-2014
    rocksolid
    I only really know bent creek, I'm up for anything. Let me know what you're thinking. I've never ridden DuPont but I've got a map and my legs are good for about anything.
  • 11-06-2014
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Impossibru. Too many points of access.

Bingo. Thanks.