Help Me Pick a Pisgah Squishy Bike- Mtbr.com
    western NC

Help Me Pick a Pisgah Squishy Bike

I'll preface this by saying, I'm heavily leaning towards a Trek of some sort for a couple of reasons. One, I'm good friends with the LBS owners, they've done a lot for me getting back into cycling, and nothing makes me happier than supporting them in return. Two, they also give me a nice discount for my loyalty, so there's that also.

I've never ridden Pisgah, but plan to ride it a lot this year, and I really want a bike that can tackle everything out there without feeling like I'm under biked. I was originally looking at a Salsa Bucksaw, but have decided against that idea. So, I'm looking at both the Fuel EX, and the Remedy, but in (dare I admit it) 29er configuration, long story.

So, on my budget, I'm looking at the Fuel EX 8 and 9, and Remedy 8 as of now. I realize I'd give up a little bit in climbing with the Remedy, but the head angle on the fuel worries me a bit on descents. No different than motorcycles, I'll take stable and confidence inspiring over twitchy all day long. But maybe it's not twitchy, I have no idea, and the LBS is very small and will have none of these models available to demo. I'm going to try and find a shop near Pisgah that offers these bikes for rent for the day and demo both however. I have plenty of time to decide, so there's no rush, I just value the opinions of those who ride that area a lot, and like having a goal to shoot for come spring.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Fuel EX 9, seems like the best bang for the buck.

Thoughts, opinions?

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would say to ride Pisgah on the bike you have now and see what you think you would want. Sycamore cycles has remedy's and the fuel for demo.
    Pisgah!

mtbr member
    +1 on CLKs comments.

Ride Pisgah on what you have and decide if you need the extra travel. I dont think there is a "Pisgah Bike". People ride it on rigid singlespeeds and 8"+ travel bikes. Its all in how YOU want to ride it. If you want to really send it on descents and jump everything then your needs are different than if your timid on descents and want to clean every climb. Not that you cant do both on the same bike, its a matter of opinion.

I would demo as many bikes as you can before making a decision. Buying a new bike is a big investment (for most) and you will want something that you enjoy everyday for every ride. Good Luck!
    On your left!

Big Mac

You don't need a special bike to ride pisgah. Run what ya brung. Every bike I've ever owned was the perfect Pisgah bike, full rigid to full squishy. Just demo bunches. That's your best bet.

mtbr member
    Agree with the above comments. I ride what my mood dictates (or what I have taken the time to prep/tune up) - my Surly singlespeed, Niner Air 9 10-speed, or Santa Cruz Butcher with all the goodies. It all works. Another accomplice of mine will show up one day with a tricked out Heckler, then next week be on his Chameleon.

Think less, ride more!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

western NC
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I guess I should have mentioned that I just want something with some squish for the rougher trails, as all I have currently is hard tails. I definitely don't mind climbing, but love the downhill portion coming from a motorcycle background. I'd love to tell you I'm really going to send it on the downhills. But, If I'm honest with myself, having seen videos of just how rough it is in places, I'm probably the guy that is slowly picking his way down the rocky chute. Hence why I'm leaning more towards the Fuel EX. But, having never ridden there, I can't say how I'll react to it until I've ridden it. I should probably also mention, I suck at technical chunk riding as there is nothing close by to practice that at all.I definitely want to demo some bikes though for sure. I may just try to camp for a long weekend and ride a different bike each day. I just don't want to buy something, then either my skills improve, or I'm more comfortable than I thought I was getting back on a full sus rig, and feel like I'm abusing / asking too much of a bike intended for a different purpose.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Full squish for Pisgah is nice Randy and so is alot of gears. I thought both were required until I see my son consistently clobbering me on the toughest out there with his 1X HT. Come experience the trails before you try anything, then you'll know what you might wanna demo.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Big Mac

You're putting way to much thought into this. Come here and ride. Ride a lot. And ride some more. This will tell you what YOU want/need.

mtbr member
    I think you have a valid question.

Get the fuel EX for overall efficiency. If you aren't striving for speed and getting really aggressive on the downhills, I don't think you will be fully utilizing the remedy. I think the fuel EX is more than capable of pisgah riding and is probably going to be a stronger all-day bike for most riders.

That said, if it was for me, I'd get the remedy 9.8 29. Looks really nice and it's getting great reviews. But I have a downhill racing background and really enjoy going fast and big on the pisgah downhills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You can't really go wrong there, all are fun to ride. From Spring to Fall I guide mostly beginners and intermediate riders in Pisgah and Dupont, usually on rented bikes. Seems that the Liberty and Sycamore both have most of the popular current bikes available to rent so you can try them.

From what I can tell, customers don't notice much difference in the actual frames, but greatly prefer the new 1x11 drivetrains. I haven't heard a single comment on each particular trek, giant, specialized or rocky mountain, but everyone notices how much they like the 1x11 over all other choices.

I greatly prefer single speed in Pisgah, but gears are fun in faster places like Dupont.

western NC
    ^^SS, in Pisgah? DAMN

Thanks guys. I do plan to get out there and ride, as soon as tax season is over, I'm trapped until then. Not that there's anything wrong with the bikes I have, but I still want a squishy bike though. And I'm also planning some pedal vacations this year where there'll be multiple days on the bike (which I never get to do), so I think having a squishy rig will help me to not feel as beat up over 3-5 days of riding. I'll demo the Fuel EX first for sure when I make it out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Full squish for Pisgah is nice Randy and so is alot of gears. I thought both were required until I see my son consistently clobbering me on the toughest out there with his 1X HT. Come experience the trails before you try anything, then you'll know what you might wanna demo.
    Yep, still want a squishy either way. LOL, that's just youth and treachery at work. Maybe I can sneak off for a weekend before seasons over.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    You're putting way to much thought into this. Come here and ride. Ride a lot. And ride some more. This will tell you what YOU want/need.
    I put too much thought into most things, can't help it. As I get older I want to buy once cry once and be done with it and go enjoy it.

western NC
    Duplicate post, no idea why, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trek Remedy or Tallboy LTC...but I am one of those Mo' Travel Mo' Betta folks

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Tallboy LTC, perfect from my standpoint

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I love being on my Knolly Chilcotin out there. Nice and casual up the gravel. (If you want to race up gravel, keep your hard tail) Sticks well climbing rocky/rooty single track. Slays downhills. The gnarlier the better. That bike has saved my ass a bunch of times and generally given me one fun day after another.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Checkout the Devinci Troy. Billy Goat Bike shophas a couple demos they'll let you take out.

mtbr member
    i disagree with the run-what-you-brung MO for pisgah. when i first moved to SE from out west, i was riding a v1 banshee rune with a 180mm fox fork and a -1* angleset to slacken out the HTA even more. that was a bad bike for pisgah. that bike was designed to charge through chunk at top speed but didnt turn very well

you dont want a super slack, super long travel bike for pisgah and dont need it. first off, we have a lot of turns to get around. theres also a lot of tech to negotiate. so much turns and tech that we dont spend a lot of our DH time at the super high speeds that west coast riders do

you want something confident yet agile for pisgah; for that reason i would definitely lean towards the fuel ex or similar. 130-150mm rear travel and a 67 or 68* head tube angle seems to be the general sweet spot for pisgah

EDIT: that rune i had also had long chainstays and the bikes ive bought since have shorter chainstays...this also factors into the whole moving away from an all out plow bike to something that can be maneuvered in the turns and tech

western NC
    Thanks again for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and get in a trip out that way late Feb / early March and rent a Fuel EX from Sycamore and see if it's for me. Geometry is really close to my X Caliber, which I've been very happy with after some minor cockpit changes. I also have a friend that has a Remedy 8 650b and I'm going to ask if I can demo it at some point as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have found my remedy 650b perfect for pisgah. i live in metro atl so everytime i make the trek over to brevard i find myself spending a majority of the time on the classic pisgah trails such as black, laurel/pilot, farlow and squirrel. I wouldn't dream of anything else for trails such as those but then again I am not a local subjecting myself to perhaps some less technical trails

I Love Bikes and Parts
    Jun 2009
    Specialized Enduro 29 is the best bike I have ridden in Pisgah. IMO, it climbs better than a Stumpjumper, not as twitchy, esp. in technical sections, the rear travel makes for excellent traction. It descends much better and soaks up everything out there. I believe Sycamore is also still a Specialized Dealer. If not, Motion Makers has excellent staff, service and has some unbeatable deals going on. IMHO, test them all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Me and another friend both have Enduro demos lined up from Sycamore for March trip. Anxious to see them tear up trail on that thing. If either doesn't click, we'll walk across the street to the Hub and grab a Bronson.
    Can't ask for a better demo scene. With Sycamore Trail right there, you can get a great comparison with different bikes in the same day.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

western NC
    ^^So long as you're buying, I'll take two.

I spent a little bit of time on a friends Remedy 8 650b the other day and was really impressed with how it pedaled and climbed. But I need to get a longer ride in some rough terrain though, and I want to ride the 29er version as well.

western NC
    Took a bit longer than I had planned, but after demoing some bikes, I decided on a 2016 Fuel EX 9 29er. I just really hit it off with this bike on a long (1.5hrs or so) demo ride, and I'm really happy with it so far. The re-design for '16 makes this thing fun as hell IMO. Got in a quick shakedown run over the weekend, made a couple changes, and headed to Pisgah later this week!

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Took a bit longer than I had planned, but after demoing some bikes, I decided on a 2016 Fuel EX 9 29er. I just really hit it off with this bike on a long (1.5hrs or so) demo ride, and I'm really happy with it so far. The re-design for '16 makes this thing fun as hell IMO. Got in a quick shakedown run over the weekend, made a couple changes, and headed to Pisgah later this week!

Dude, congrats on the new steed!

I was hoping I could make it out to Pisgah this weekend, but no dice. Have a kickass time!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

western NC
    Thanks woodchips! I won't be getting out there now though due to the weather. Oh well, it is that time of year I guess.