Heartbreak Ridge Tomorrow- Mtbr.com
    Heads up Flyboy!!

Heartbreak Ridge Tomorrow

My buddy Bush and I will be riding Heartbreak Ridge and some Mt. Mitchell Area stuff tomorrow for any interested. Meet at the Old Fort Pinic Area at the bottom of Kitsuma at 8:45am Saturday morning. Moderate pace, with some huffing and puffing of a 15 mile climb to start. 6% grade most of the way up with a few harder spots thrown in the mix. Deep Back Country riding 30-40 miles.

Jeremy

Heads up Flyboy!!

What you missed

Yesterday started out as a beautiful day for riding and indeed it would have ended with a great day for riding if not for 20 miles into a 32-35 mile ride at a descent pace my swingarm would not of broke, Yes sir or mam if so be it, I broke yet another bike in the idea that I have discovered, the bike gods must hate me. We were transversing the beautiful, tight singletrack of Heartbreak Ridge which did break my heart this day of endless sun and tranquility. Taking a nice slice to the left just before the switchbacks begin I felt my rear wheel buckle as though my quick release had come loose. Stopping to inspect and correct the culprit I found my swingarm had broken on the weld at the junction of my chainstay and dropout. Taking a old inner tube that my buddy Bush had just replaced after a pinch flat we used it like a sling around the crack and I proceeded to hump it back to the car for about 4 miles missing the truley thrilling finish of Heartbreak Ridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Yesterday started out as a beautiful day for riding and indeed it would have ended with a great day for riding if not for 20 miles into a 32-35 mile ride at a descent pace my swingarm would not of broke, Yes sir or mam if so be it, I broke yet another bike in the idea that I have discovered, the bike gods must hate me. We were transversing the beautiful, tight singletrack of Heartbreak Ridge which did break my heart this day of endless sun and tranquility. Taking a nice slice to the left just before the switchbacks begin I felt my rear wheel buckle as though my quick release had come loose. Stopping to inspect and correct the culprit I found my swingarm had broken on the weld at the junction of my chainstay and dropout. Taking a old inner tube that my buddy Bush had just replaced after a pinch flat we used it like a sling around the crack and I proceeded to hump it back to the car for about 4 miles missing the truley thrilling finish of Heartbreak Ridge.

Man, at least you didn't crash and die when that happened. We did Heartbreak on Saturday- first time in 4 1/2 years for me, that trail is settling in awesome. That break, by the way, is a bunch of crap- you should post if Jamis (I've read your other posts about your new bike) gives you any hassle about warranties. While they make great bikes at killer values, their customer service dept. is notorious, at least in my experience. But a break at a weld should be replaced so fast that they credit the store on a frame right off the floor, or the equivalent expedited replacement, because that's nothing but a defect. Peace, and good luck.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I broke yet another bike in the idea that I have discovered, the bike gods must hate me.
    It's bad karma from posting too much information on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    It's bad karma from posting too much information on the internet.

Yeah, LOCALS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:-(

Heads up Flyboy!!
    You know, Homebrew, I don't understand what your problem is against me. Indeed I am posting rides on the internet that have not been posted before. But tell me, Can you not find these rides on any topo map of the area or by stopping by and asking any bike shop? The routes I'm offering up are not going to be ridden by any Joe Smoe mountain biker but by the guy or gal that truely enjoys what I enjoy: an epic back-country ride. I'm also providing info on where local trail maintenance crews are working and how to contact them, something we need to get more of our locals doing instead of complaining about the maintenance done. Plus I'm offering info on local events that would otherwise go unnoticed by most locals as it tends to be mostly out of towners who show up and support our local mountain bike community by paying for events, supporting local bike shops through purchases and frequenting local eateries and places to stay. You can go in Epic Cycles right there in the town of Black Mountain and they will give you directions to HeartBreak Ridge and Kitsuma. I did it myself when I first moved here. Just by asking about local rides in the area. I am not posting unknown locals-only routes; just rides that have been known by everyone for quite a while.
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 06-07-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Do It Yourself
    Check your email.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Good News! I'm back on the bike and in the action again. I turned my bike into Back Country Sunday, they sent in a warranty request to Jamis on Monday and today( Friday) my bike rolling again. The Back Country mechanic was off today so I decided to go in and install the swingarm myself. Being a former mechanic has its pros. Hows that for cust service!!

Jeremy

the cool nerd

thanks to mountaingoatepics

I want to thank mge for posting his epic rides, I was in asheville last week and on the two days that I had for long rides (4+ hours, and 10 hours), I took two of his epics and then added a bit onto the end..Just to get a nice flavor for Pisgah.

I loved almost every minute, got a bit apprehensive (okay, scared) both evenings when it was getting dusk and I wasn't sure that I was onthe right trail, but it was so incredible...Oh yeah, added Satan's Staircase (and another climb up Black Mountain) to the Squirrel Gap to Turkey Pen Gap ride., Satan's staircase also increased the pucker factor just a bit, the only sections that I can think of off hand that Iwasn't able to ride..wasn't even able to attempt to ride a few rocks

Pisgah was definitely awesome..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Oh yeah, added Satan's Staircase (and another climb up Black Mountain) to the Squirrel Gap to Turkey Pen Gap ride., Satan's staircase also increased the pucker factor just a bit, the only sections that I can think of off hand that Iwasn't able to ride..wasn't even able to attempt to ride a few rocks
    One of my favorite sections of trail anywhere, although I *think* that is a seasonal trail. I'm not 100% sure, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wanted to post so that if it is seasonal, people will wait until after Oct. 15. I know that Bennetts gap is seasonal, I just can't remember if Staircase is part of that, or if it is before that when coming from the shelter side....

mtbr member
    I was not aware Bennet Gap is seasonal, although I've read that on this board a number of times. It's not seasonal on my map. Is that a recent development? (map probably 6 years old..so recent is relative)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I was not aware Bennet Gap is seasonal, although I've read that on this board a number of times. It's not seasonal on my map. Is that a recent development? (map probably 6 years old..so recent is relative)
    I got my map this year, so I'll go home and check it out for sure. I think I got my info on this board too, so I'd be elated to find out I'm wrong .

Pending a working memory, I'll report back tomorrow. You may have made my day...

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Bennet is seasonal. I am not happy about waiting until october to ride it though. Oh well, rules are rules, I am sure there is reason. It says on the trail sign that it is seasonal.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Bennet Gap is a seasonal trail and is marked as seasonal on the route map I drew up for the website. Please all riders, ride only trails that are open to mountain bikers. Consider seasonal trails as off limits through the dates of April 15th - Oct 15th.

the cool nerd

i'm very sorry

I did not intentionally ride a closed trail, I am typically bery attentive and respectful for trail closures and trails that are off-limits to cyclists. I don't know how I missed the trail markings (or even what kind of markings were there). I had just taken the loop description from the epic site, wrote down the name and order of the trails, and took a new map with me. After riding most of the loop I felt pretty good, and decided to close out some of the other trails in the area. If I had realized that the trail was clsoed (or had read the web description more carefully) I would not have ridden that leg..

scott

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad. I've ridden that trail for years and never noticed a seasonal marking on the trail sign.

Mar 2004

To Poach or Not to Poach?

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Don't feel bad. I've ridden that trail for years and never noticed a seasonal marking on the trail sign.
    All "Off the Beaten Path" books have seasonal trail closure information, I believe its on the back pages. The Falcon book i believe does not have this info.
    Plus, the web site on Western North Carolina riding also posts this information.

I'm surprised a local would not know this...I know this and i don't even live there.
    Maybe locals don't know everything.....

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Scott,

No apolgies needed. Pisgah tends to be a bit over grown in the summer hiding trail signs and the fact that a bear may pull one down every now and then never crossed my mind. I think the National geographic trail maps need another color for seasonal trails so they can be easily spotted instead of going down to the trail name box and looking for the S in the box beside the name.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    The bennet gap sign for seasonal is TINY, dont feel bad. on the bottom of the trail, where it comes out on 477 by the river, there is a tiny white square with "closed to bikes april 15-oct 15 Please obey" written on it in sharpie or something, its hard to catch.