Heartbreak Ridge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Heartbreak Ridge

Looking for a little help figuring logistics to ride heartbreak this weekend. we are going to climb the old Mitchell toll road but cant figure out where we need to park cars. We will not be doing a proper shuttle but it still looks like cars will need to be left in multiple places. any help would be awesome. I'm really looking forward to hitting this trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hebertbs View Post
    Looking for a little help figuring logistics to ride heartbreak this weekend. we are going to climb the old Mitchell toll road but cant figure out where we need to park cars. We will not be doing a proper shuttle but it still looks like cars will need to be left in multiple places. any help would be awesome. I'm really looking forward to hitting this trail.
    You park at Old Fort picnic area, climb old US 70 to Montreat. Up Old Mitchell Toll Rd, then down Heartbreak and Star Gap and road back to Old Fort. Or you can park at Kitsuma trail head and ride Kitsuma, then back up old US 70 to Montreat. Up Old Mitchell Toll Rd, then down Heartbreak and Star, then down FS 1407 back to Kitsuma. You can also park at Andrew Gyser historical site.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Park at Lookout Brewing in Black Mtn.
    Lookout Brewing Company

Ride up into Montreat from the brewery and up Toll Rd. from there. After you ride HB just go up Mill Creek (better than taking Old 70/Greenway) and then ride back down into Black Mtn. Easy as pie!

The only way to end a ride is with beer. There is no other way...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best way to do it is to park a car down at the bottom somewhere, either Andrews geyser or old fort picnic area. Then shuttle over to the end of appalachain way in Montreat. Climb up the gravel road to where it hooks into the old Mitchell toll road and then you are on your way. The connector trail from the toll road to heartbreak ridge is behind an old camper.

29er zealot
    Just as a heads up, you may want to call ridgecrest beforehand. It seems I read somewhere that the trails were closed temporarily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    Just as a heads up, you may want to call ridgecrest beforehand. It seems I read somewhere that the trails were closed temporarily.
    All of the above routes do not go through Ridgecrest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    Yeah Ridgecrest is being turds and not letting bikes go through during their busy summer conference/camp season. I called and asked and its not allowed... No word on if they will drop that for the offseason or not.

That being said... If you act like you dont know that youre not supposed to be there and just ride real fast through the gate yelling "Thanks you too, have a great day, God bless!!!" they dont seem to mind.

I love doing the Toll -> Rhododendron -> Kitsuma -> Rattlesnake -> Toll loop.... Bummer.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Yeah Ridgecrest is being turds and not letting bikes go through during their busy summer conference/camp season. I called and asked and its not allowed... No word on if they will drop that for the offseason or not.

That being said... If you act like you dont know that youre not supposed to be there and just ride real fast through the gate yelling "Thanks you too, have a great day, God bless!!!" they dont seem to mind.

I love doing the Toll -> Rhododendron -> Kitsuma -> Rattlesnake -> Toll loop.... Bummer.
    We've been denied during the off season as well. It really depends on who's guarding the gate. One guy was simply being a dick. Supposedly you can ask to be put on a list of authorized trespassers and be granted entrance during the off season. My friend has his name listed and never presents an issue when he's with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you're using multiple cars, park one at the top of Appalachian Way in montreat, by the water tower. There's a turn-a-round and small parking area. Hike up the gravel rd and you'll be on the toll rd in Sourwood gap.

the google maps tells me the address if 431 Appalachian Way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ill be riding monarch crest in September and looking to hit a heartbreak loop for training. Would I be better doing Kitsuma > Curtis Creek > Blue Ridge Pkwy > Heartbreak or doing one of the toll rd. roots?

Trying to maximize mileage and elevation gain.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If your goal is mileage, that would be a longer route. If your goal is a still long but technical climb, then toll road is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hoping to ride the Curtis creek loop to heartbreak on Friday. Are the trails rideable right now or has there been too much rain recently? I'm basically planning on riding the loop on trailforks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Hoping to ride the Curtis creek loop to heartbreak on Friday. Are the trails rideable right now or has there been too much rain recently? I'm basically planning on riding the loop on trailforks.
    Trails seem ok. I rode Kitzuma monday morning in the fog. Roots were slick, but dirt was good.