Heading down to South Carolina for 2 months- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Heading down to South Carolina for 2 months

Hello,

Just wanted to say hi to everybody in the Palmetto State.

It appears that I'll be heading down to South Carolina on a short work assignment for 2 months. So I figured why not pack up the bike and take it with me? I'm leaving this Saturday and will be new to the area so I don't know where the good places to ride are. I just got my bike a little over a year ago and did my first race last month. I guess I'd consider myself somewhere between beginner and intermediate as a rider. I currently ride a 2006 Giant Trance 3 with some upgrades.

I'm from Southern Ontario, Canada and I'm quite lucky because there's a great mix of trails from beginner to advanced all within a half hour drive of my home here. Heck, there's a nice technical trail I can ride to from my house.

So I'll be staying in a small town called Greenwood. Did some research on Greenwood and it has a population of 22, 000 people. I have a feeling the nightlife there isn't going to be quite what I'm used to. But that's another story. I noticed that Sumter National Forest is near Greenwood. Are there any good bike trails in that area? Are there any good mountain bike trails anywhere near Greenwood that I can ride?

On another note, what is there to do in Greenwood at night and on weekends? Any good clubs or bars in the area? If not, how far do I have to go to enjoy the nightlife there? Hope I don't have to drive all the way to Atlanta for that.

If there's any organized group rides in the area, I'd certainly be interested in attending one or more.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm sure the next 2 months will be quite an adventure.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Here are a list of great trails all in South Carolina...
    Harbison (have to ride SpiderWoman II w/ the interior loop)
    FATS
    Manchester
    Tour De Dump a.k.a. Southside
    and moving north you got Pisganh
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

H8 H8 H8
    Will you be here Saturday?

There is a race/ride that is hitting 4 different trail systems in the area -
    good chance to check them out and meet people.

Google "Sumter Metric Century".

You're probably looking at going to Columbia for Night Life.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Long Cane Horse Trail is 10 minutes outside of Greenwood.

It is SC's hidden gem.

Contact these guys for a tour - you will not be disapppointed. http://web.mac.com/ashby_stokes/Greenwoodmtb/Home.html

You will be an hour north of FATS. It's good too.

You will be about 2 hours south of DuPont and Pisgah in NC. Go there too.

But your hometown trail, the Long Cane Horse Trail is off the charts good. Just no one knows it.

Edit to add: It's really hot down here for the next two months. :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    Long Cane Horse Trail is 10 minutes outside of Greenwood.

Edit to add: It's really hot down here for the next two months. :-(
    2 months? - More like 4. Once June hits, we can look forward to 90 or better nearly every day until September

Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville is about an hour north of G'wood and offers some fun riding if you want a few more hills than Greenwood has to offer. And FATS is just 45 minutes down the road. 35 miles of primo trail.

I can't speak about night life in Greenwood, but every fast food restaurant known to man is on Hwy. 25. Think of your time there as a culinary adventure. Manny's Pizza is pretty darn tasty. Have fun!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    The kind of hot you'll experience for the next 4 months will make you tough! Whenever you feel like staying inside, just remember that. You'll be surprised at the great trail around there. Listen to Seenvic and get in with those guys. You may decide to stay longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great Trails around Greenwood. Go to Performance Cycle they can hook you up with the places to go and people to ride with

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all of the info so far.

I believe I'll be arriving in Greenwood on Saturday night. Flight arrives at 6:30pm in Greenville and I have to drive from Greenville to Greenwood. So I think I'll miss the race/ride on Saturday in the area.

Will definately have to check out the Long Cane Horse Trail. If time permits, I'll make the drive to the other trails in SC and NC.

To mikeridesabike: Fast food eh? Anything healthy in the area when it comes to food? Unfortunately, a home cooked meal isn't really an option for me as I'll be living out of a hotel for the two months while I'm there. Trying to cut down on the deep fried stuff myself.

I don't mind the hot weather. As long as it's not humid. Don't mind cold weather either though. So it's all good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Oh, it's humid alright.

Hook up with those guys on the site I gave you and you will be golden as far as riding while on G'wood. They are great guys who will also give you the skinny on locally owned eats and prolly have you over for a home cooked meal or two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hmmmmm... Just found out that United Airlines is going to charge me $250 to check-in two bags plus my bike. Sure wasn't expecting that. Not too sure about taking the bike now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload
    Hmmmmm... Just found out that United Airlines is going to charge me $250 to check-in two bags plus my bike. Sure wasn't expecting that. Not too sure about taking the bike now.
    If you aren't planning on riding every night, just bring your pedals, shoes etc. I am sure you can rent a bike wherever you go. Some might even have bikes for you to borrow.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Mail your bike.

Won't be rentals in Greenwood, SC.

pronounced may-duh
    Mail your bike.

+1 on the mail the bike idea. Get a box from the bike shop. It should cost way less then taking it on the plane. No way I would go 2 months without my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    what kind of riding do you do

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmatt17
    what kind of riding do you do
    Mostly XC riding. Not skilled enough to tackle downhill courses quite yet.

Mail your bike.

Looks like I'll bite the bullet and just take the bike with me as check-in luggage.

Gonna pack less clothing and try to fit everything into a single suitcase.

I just hope the rental car they give me can fit the bike box in it.

Hope to see some of you on the trails soon.

BTW, is there a bike shop in Greenwood? Will probably need a tune-up and possibly get the brakes bled when I get there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Go see Derek at Performance Bikes in Greenwood for the tune up. Derek will also know the Greenwood riders you need to hook up with. I am riding the SMC with a few of the G'wooders tomorrow and will give them the heads up you are coming and they will hear from you.

When you get down here, get in touch with me and I'll meet you and ride FATS and perhaps the LCHT.....which is an hour from me and I got 3 kids under 4 so that trip isn't always doable for me. I am a 2 miles from FATS though and can just ride there on my bike.

Check your PM. I sent you my cell number.

mtbr member
    I agree with Broussard. Come to Columbia for your nightlife fix. I know a great place for absinthe swilling and man versus bear boxing matches. Gentleman of leisure only so don't forget your powdered wig and luggage porter. But seriously, there are some wonderful places for general debauch in Columbia, you just need to ask! If you're only 1 hour north of FATS, then that's your most trail mileage per driving mileage option although Pisgah is pretty much endless. In fact, its trails reproduce themselves, constantly growing like a hydra.

Can you buy cuban cigars in Canada? Just curious. Thank you so very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Reload
    Mostly XC riding. Not skilled enough to tackle downhill courses quite
    yet.

Looks like I'll bite the bullet and just take the bike with me as check-in luggage.

Gonna pack less clothing and try to fit everything into a single suitcase.

I just hope the rental car they give me can fit the bike box in it.

Hope to see some of you on the trails soon.

BTW, is there a bike shop in Greenwood? Will probably need a tune-up and possibly get the brakes bled when I get there.
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpuke
    Can you buy cuban cigars in Canada? Just curious. Thank you so very much!
    You certainly can buy cubans in Canada.

Not to rub it in or anything but it's okay for Canadians to visit Cuba as well.

Anyways, I'm gonna spend the rest of the day and night packing.

I won't have access to the internet for a few days when I get there. It's a long story. But I may be able to access the forums from my BlackBerry. It's kinda annoying though.

Happy trails everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    gimme a holler too. I live on lake greenwood and have a pretty cool freeride/xc/dh trail to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Greenwood is a college town but I would probably still head to Cola forthe night life. As far as deep fried food goes......Welcome to the south, that is how we roll.

mtbr member
    See this site for some local trail info:

http://web.mac.com/ashby_stokes/Greenwoodmtb/Home.html

See these guys for bike shop stuff:

http://www.performancecycleinc.com/miscpage_005.asp

Tell Derek & Stan I told you to look them up!

Lee's BBQ up on the lake is pretty good . . .

Sushi bar down-town

Link to some of the events going on:

http://www.uptowngreenwood.com/

Not too bad for a small southern town . . .

You have got to find time for FATS, Paris Mountain and DuPont!

-Steve

Members who have read this thread: 0