Greetings WNC riders!- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

Greetings WNC riders!

x-post 'cause sometimes I'm an idiot.

My wife just accepted a job in Asheville, so we're going to be moving there from Indiana in about a month and a half. Looks like we're going to have to do a short term rental while we search for a place to buy. We can't close on a mortgage until early Sept, so we'll take the opportunity to work with a real estate agent to find the right place.

Just wanted to say hello. I've been reading a number of the old "moving to Asheville" recommendation threads and making good use of them where possible. We've visited the area a number of times over the years, so we're at least somewhat familiar with it already.

I've been coming to the southern Appalachians for a very long time. My family history goes way back in Eastern TN, and there's some family property there that's been handed down for many generations. I've been visiting WNC on and off to ride since the early 2000's.

mtbr member
    Welcome! I am sure you are already aware but real estate is cut throat here. Do you know what part of town you would like to be on? There are really nice places on the East side of town. We ended up on Riceville Rd and we couldn't be happier. We never have to deal with I26. I work in South Asheville but luckily my schedule allows me to miss heavy traffic. My aunt owns property in Weaverville which is also not a bad place to be. My advice is to know what part of town you want to be on, what you are looking for, and be ready to put in an offer asap. With real estate being so fast paced you might have to compromise on a few small details. If you hesitate a day or two there will be at least 10 offers. Happy hunting and happy trails!

since 4/10/2009
    Wife's job is off of Brevard Rd. near the outlet mall, an easier drive to there would be better. Aside from that, we're pretty flexible so long as our budget is met and the house has a little space to keep our bikes and other outdoor crap (basement and/or garage space). We're working with an agent ATM and getting our preferences dialed. We've got enough budget that it looks like we can get the things we want, potentially with some nice add-ons, depending on location.

The Weaverville area seems to offer a lot, and many of the homes we like are up that direction. But there are others scattered all over town, too. It might be tricky to put in an offer too soon given our closing date limitations, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Welcome Harold. I recognize your name from some help I've gotten from you over the years regarding GPS stuff. Hope you really dig it here man, lots of opportunities to use all that GPS know how!

We are looking to buy in the area as well, can fully back up Sugar Brad on his cut throat comment. Yikes. Renting atm, hoping to be in our own home by end of year. You on the lookout for a rental as well, just in case you go that option? Moving to a new city, there is definitely merit in renting for a while to really nail down the parts of town you want to target.

mtbr member
    Rent while you have to but buy you something as soon as you can. Rents are going up like crazy and there is very little left to choose from. Houses are for sale but you wont get much for the same money compared to other places outside of the AVL area. Its really tough. 1200sq/ft 3br/2ba little brick ranch style homes going for $250+ easily.

We bought 5 years ago and if we had to now there is no way we could afford what we have.

As long as you can make the housing/job thing work this is an amazing place to live.

Good Luck!
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Rent while you have to but buy you something as soon as you can. Rents are going up like crazy and there is very little left to choose from. Houses are for sale but you wont get much for the same money compared to other places outside of the AVL area. Its really tough. 1200sq/ft 3br/2ba little brick ranch style homes going for $250+ easily.

We bought 5 years ago and if we had to now there is no way we could afford what we have.

As long as you can make the housing/job thing work this is an amazing place to live.

Good Luck!
    Yeah, definitely "rent while we have to but buy ASAP" is how we're handling things. My wife's a veterinarian and so we have a few animals. We're likely going to have to board one or more of them or put them up at her coworkers' places until we can buy something. Plus we have a geriatric dog who's incontinent and has serious mobility issues. The euthanasia question has been one floating around for a little while already, and it's seeing some urgency because he will be unable to handle any of this well.

It's a good thing that we have a preference for modest ranch style homes because there's no way we could afford the bigger ones in the AVL area. We're in one that's about 1500sqft right now and I like the size. If the floorplan was a little better, I'd even be plenty happy with it being a fair bit smaller, as there's a good bit of dead space. The 250k range is sortof our "sweet spot" on pricing. We can go a little higher if we find something we REALLY like, but lower will give us a little more flexibility with our budget. The bank is willing to give us a whole lot more, but we've never been cool with being "house poor" and that's what would happen if we pushed it with the amount the bank is willing to loan us.

Job-wise, for myself, I'm pretty flexible. Right now, I'll probably be falling back more on mtb skills coaching/guiding. I've been working with a friend here in Indy on some clinics this year and I'll be traveling back up to do a few more this year. She's been putting me in touch with a bunch of coaches all over, also. I also know a guy who guides out of Brevard. We got our certs in the same course and I've kept in touch. I don't know if he's looking to add any more guides, but we'll certainly be riding together occasionally.

I've been following a number of wildlife biology/conservation job boards for a number of years and stuff definitely comes up in the Asheville area with some regularity. Winter/early spring is the "hot" time of year for job openings in the field, so I'll probably be biding my time over the fall until hiring picks up again. Until then, I've been doing my research trying to see who the likely employers are and I've come up with some. There's definitely more opportunity for me in the field in AVL than there has been in Indy. I've found ONE nonprofit land conservancy in AVL that hires more people in the general conservation field than I've found people working in the field in all of Indianapolis, so I think my prospects are much better.

I do wish we could have made this particular move 5yrs ago, though. We were certainly looking at the time. But the job opportunities for my wife (who is and will always be the primary money-earner) just weren't there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hello and welcome. I am recently moved from the midwest (IL) after vacationing and riding here since 2001. We are renting in Hendersonville since my wife and I currently work down this way. As said, the housing here is just ridiculous. Even in Henderson or Transylvania county things are way inflated. If only we moved a few years back...

Not sure if this home inflation will sustain here so we are not sure if we are going to buy for a while. If we do, it will be in/near Brevard to be closer to Pisgah/Dupont.

Good luck and smooth sailing to you from a ex-midwesterner. It really is great here if you can make enough scratch for the COL

mtbr member
    That side of town is pretty cool. I personally wouldn't want to be too close to Haywood. The Mills River area would be awesome. You should be able to find somewhat reasonable property in Arden. Arden and Fletcher are growing exponentially. Brevard road isn't that bad except for Friday evenings and weekends. It takes me 24 minutes to get from Riceville Rd to Motion Makers for what it's worth. It takes me 25 min to get to Cane Creek Rd in Fletcher. When I stayed at my aunt's house until I found a place it took 25-30 from Weaverville to Brevard Rd. If you want to to be out of the city my first two choices would be Shope Creek Rd or Somewhere near Mills River like Pennsylvania Ave.

since 4/10/2009
    We've come across a few places we like in Arden, but fewer with all the features we like. We'd have to have to make some compromises there. So we'll have to figure out what we want to prioritize here.

mtbr member
    Dont forget to look in East as well... Swannanoa, Riceville, Black Mtn. etc are all nice places to be...
    On your left!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Rent seems to be cheaper in Hendersonville. Not too far from the outlet. Asheville all-around is expensive to rent. The area that has less traffic than all is North-Asheville/Weaverville.

We're having many people move here, so we have more people than real-estate, thus higher prices. I got a lady working for me that drives about an hour to come to work. That's how far they'll run from these high prices.

What's your budget on a house?

since 4/10/2009
    I think our max is about 275k for a house, so that gives us some wiggle room with the local market. There are some stinkers showing up in our searches, so it's not a price point that will get us everything no questions...but there are also some nice homes coming up, so I think we'll be okay so long as we do our due diligence.

definitely it seems that n. asheville/weaverville has the highest proportion of homes on our list, with leicester up there, too. a little bit in w. asheville and s. asheville neighborhoods. only a few coming up in e. asheville.

when folks complain about traffic in the area...I have to raise an eyebrow in curiosity as to how bad it really is. I've driven on some of the roads mentioned as having terrible traffic and they haven't been so bad. not compared to what I have to work with in a much larger city.

I'm in Leicester and it's ok. South Asheville has the worst traffic, IMO. It's not that bad.

Big Mac

Greetings WNC riders!

I'll throw in my pennies. Consider this: Oakley. Convenient to just about everything. Oakley sits just south east of downtown. Close to: breweries, parkway, downtown, hospital, some food. I can be at bent creek in 15 minutes. It's a rising neighborhood with home prices that are still affordable as compared to many places around town. It's a great neighborhood with a thriving community. Large lots and some great homes here. Yes, I live in Oakley and I love it here. I've lived in north Asheville, Leicester, downtown, and west Asheville and Oakley is the favorite. Easy access in and out.

mtbr member
    AVL traffic is bad but only because the drivers suck. Its not the volume of cars its the people drive them. Traffic congestion (too many cars) was waaay worse in Charlotte but everyone there drove 20mph over the speed limit so it worked out.

Here half the folks drive 20mph under, the other half drive 20mph over. Still not as bad as Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

I'm in E. AVL (Oteen) and love it. Dont move here though... its got the perfect ratio of people:cool shit to do.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    AVL traffic is bad but only because the drivers suck. Its not the volume of cars its the people drive them. Traffic congestion (too many cars) was waaay worse in Charlotte but everyone there drove 20mph over the speed limit so it worked out.

Here half the folks drive 20mph under, the other half drive 20mph over. Still not as bad as Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

I'm in E. AVL (Oteen) and love it. Dont move here though... its got the perfect ratio of people:cool shit to do.
    Don't forget that all the slow drivers hang out in the left lane!! Luckily, North Carolina just passed a law that this is now an enforceable offense, which I hope the police depts. take to heart

At least the bridge on I-26 is somewhat done and helps traffic. Leicester is starting to expand into 4 lanes, so it'll be busy. If the 26 connector ever starts to roll, then we're looking at, what, 200 years of road work? Yes, NC is slow when it comes to road work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Don't forget that all the slow drivers hang out in the left lane!! Luckily, North Carolina just passed a law that this is now an enforceable offense, which I hope the police depts. take to heart
    I'd prefer it if they'd first start enforcing safe following distance laws and other versions of aggressive driving.

My .02.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You may want to consider looking in the Mills River/Avery Creek/Bent Creek. From what I understand, your wife's position will be on 191 west of i26. Commute shouldn't be too bad from those areas (highway or backroad), & you would have quicker access to Pisgah for any future MTB coaching, etc.

Housing is also cheaper in Mills River/Avery Creek.... not so much in Bent Creek

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Harold - My wife and I have been in the environmental field for the past 15 years in Asheville. We've worked in both the private and public sector from engineering, consulting, permitting, delineations, wetland/stream restoration etc. If you have any questions about possible opportunities, feel free to shoot me a PM or I'd be glad to grab a beer once you get down here.

By the way, I'm in West Asheville. If you can find something on this side of town in your price range, be ready to make an offer immediately and be prepared for a bidding war. Great place to live, you're going to love it.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I'm not a "traditional" environmental scientist. It would probably be easier if I was. I'm better suited to general conservation work. Right now I'm a naturalist at an ornithology center, but I'd really like to get into a nonprofit land conservancy. My wife's job is actually going to be to the east of I-26, north of the outlets. Not that it matters all that much.

What's this I-26 connector? I assume this is just a proposal at this point? Where's it proposed to be?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a "traditional" environmental scientist. It would probably be easier if I was. I'm better suited to general conservation work. Right now I'm a naturalist at an ornithology center, but I'd really like to get into a nonprofit land conservancy. My wife's job is actually going to be to the east of I-26, north of the outlets. Not that it matters all that much.

What's this I-26 connector? I assume this is just a proposal at this point? Where's it proposed to be?
    The I-26 connector has been in the works for at least 20 years, and is, I think, slated to begin in 2020. It will be a ginormous clusterfuk of a project that will span years. It concerns the corridor/connections of I-26, I-240, and Patton avenue. Primarily in town, and over the French broad river. If you look at a map, you'll see. It's gonna be yuge. This is partly why I wouldn't buy north, which includes weaverville.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I'd prefer it if they'd first start enforcing safe following distance laws and other versions of aggressive driving.

My .02.
    Says the guy driving slow in the passing lane

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    The I-26 connector has been in the works for at least 20 years, and is, I think, slated to begin in 2020. It will be a ginormous clusterfuk of a project that will span years. It concerns the corridor/connections of I-26, I-240, and Patton avenue. Primarily in town, and over the French broad river. If you look at a map, you'll see. It's gonna be yuge. This is partly why I wouldn't buy north, which includes weaverville.
    I just looked up this project on the ncdot page. Yeah, massive project. Good to know about. Does look like it'll improve an already screwy collection of interchanges, though.

Big Mac
    I just looked up this project on the ncdot page. Yeah, massive project. Good to know about. Does look like it'll improve an already screwy collection of interchanges, though.
    That collection of interchanges is an ongoing source of frustration and accidents, and this project will no doubt improve that, but it's gonna be a long row to hoe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No way dude, a left lane bandit law?!?! PLEASE ENFORCE IT COPS, PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I do agree about the sh1tty drivers here. Driving in/around Chicago most of my life was way was less dangerous than just a couple months driving here. I have had 2 really close calls/near accidents in a month.

I am amazed daily seeing people blow through stop signs and lights, crossing multiple lanes with no signal, pulling out in front of fast oncoming traffic, talking and texting when driving, hauling ass on blind, twisty roads, etc.

These aren't tourists either, NC tags on most of these cars I am seeing.

since 4/10/2009
    Luckily, North Carolina just passed a law that this is now an enforceable offense, which I hope the police depts. take to heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    No way dude, a left lane bandit law?!?! PLEASE ENFORCE IT COPS, PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!
    We got one of those in Indiana awhile back. Didn't make a difference. Cops don't pull people over for it. It's probably one of those things they'll use as an "add-on" if they get you for something else.

I see tons of awful drivers every day. Usually multiple close calls daily from lane changes without signaling (or even looking), illegal maneuvers of all kinds, you name it. The stuff you guys are talking about in AVL is nothing new to me. Except for slow drivers. There are no slow drivers in Indiana...unless you count 10mph over the speed limit as being slow.

I'm lucky to go to work early and get off at 2:30. Most of the days, I don't see traffic.

I live in North AVL and work in South. The I-26 connector will be a fantastic 20 year headache. Fantastic!!!

Don't let us scare you, Nate. AVL's pretty cool actually. I'm sure you've been here before. I'll take this over Charlotte, Atlanta, and other big cities. I've been to Chicago twice. Hope to never go back again.

Anyway, if I see a fatbike rider, I'll hollar at you. Afterall, I only saw about 2 fatties here in WNC so far.

Says the guy driving slow in the passing lane
    Driving home everyday on 26, here's what I've noticed:

From exit 37 to 33 there are 2 long hills. 18-wheelers occupy both lanes between these exits, slowing down the traffic while going uphill. If trucks stayed in the right lanes, traffic would flow better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Hasn't helped in SC. Like everything else, a law without enforcement is not a law. Left lane vigilantes can take pride knowing they're driving the speed limit, never mind the traffic stacking up behind them and then people getting pissed and making dangerous passes because of the vigilantes.

Welcome to the area, Harold. Asheville, like the upstate of SC is experiencing a population boom, even a crappy a realtor can make some money in this area since it doesn't need much help selling so get some references.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    I'm lucky to go to work early and get off at 2:30. Most of the days, I don't see traffic.

I live in North AVL and work in South. The I-26 connector will be a fantastic 20 year headache. Fantastic!!!

Don't let us scare you, Nate. AVL's pretty cool actually. I'm sure you've been here before. I'll take this over Charlotte, Atlanta, and other big cities. I've been to Chicago twice. Hope to never go back again.

Anyway, if I see a fatbike rider, I'll hollar at you. Afterall, I only saw about 2 fatties here in WNC so far.
    I thought you said you lived in Leicester?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    I do agree about the sh1tty drivers here. Driving in/around Chicago most of my life was way was less dangerous than just a couple months driving here. I have had 2 really close calls/near accidents in a month.

I am amazed daily seeing people blow through stop signs and lights, crossing multiple lanes with no signal, pulling out in front of fast oncoming traffic, talking and texting when driving, hauling ass on blind, twisty roads, etc.

These aren't tourists either, NC tags on most of these cars I am seeing.
    You do realize that there are other places in North Carolina, right?

Greetings WNC riders!

I thought you said you lived in Leicester?
    Just between Leicester and Asheville, really.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Welcome to the area, Harold. Asheville, like the upstate of SC is experiencing a population boom, even a crappy a realtor can make some money in this area since it doesn't need much help selling so get some references.
    The agent we got came recommended from folks my wife will be working with. So far he's been doing a great job. Getting us lots of extra documentation of properties we've asked questions about (surveys, vids, and pics of things). In about a week, he's proven that he's a better agent than all the agents we hired (and subsequently fired) put together when we lived in TX.

since 4/10/2009
    Landed a 3mo rental today across the river from Biltmore Park. Pretty close to wife's job, so that's nice. Going to have to put most of our stuff in storage until we have a house to put it in, but this at least buys us some time.

mtbr member
    Nice. You will have to work a little to get to trails but not too bad. I am sure it was difficult to get that place. Rentals are crazy here too.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Nice. You will have to work a little to get to trails but not too bad. I am sure it was difficult to get that place. Rentals are crazy here too.
    Eh, won't be any worse getting to the local trails than where I am now. Closest one to me now is about 20min away, and it's in a pretty wet area so is unrideable much of the spring/early summer.

As far as getting it, it wasn't hard. It was the only one left in the complex, so we prob got super lucky. I am sure with my wife's job.

Big Mac
    Landed a 3mo rental today across the river from Biltmore Park. Pretty close to wife's job, so that's nice. Going to have to put most of our stuff in storage until we have a house to put it in, but this at least buys us some time.
    So, you're down long shoals somewhere? Clayton road area? If so, you're actually super close to Bent Creek and close to north mills river as well.

since 4/10/2009
    So, you're down long shoals somewhere? Clayton road area? If so, you're actually super close to Bent Creek and close to north mills river as well.
    yep

That's a nice area too. You can pretty much jump into the river with your kayak if you're into that.

Big Mac
    yep
    Cool. That's actually a pretty sweet spot. Congrats.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    That's a nice area too. You can pretty much jump into the river with your kayak if you're into that.
    I thought of that. We have a canoe and a bit of flotation so it can handle some light whitewater, but will prob not have anywhere to put it except into storage...at least until we get into a house.