Greenville Bike Shops????- Mtbr.com
    Stop reading...go ride!!!

Greenville Bike Shops????

Is it me or is there a real lacking of a truly dedicated Mtn bike shop in Greenville??? Someone needs to open one!!!!! We've got tri shops, roadie shops, and the ocassional in betweener, but no one who is dedicated to the dirt!!!

consistent default champ
    I think the reason you see more roadie oriented shops is because there is a lot more $$$ to be made there. One of the shops I was talking to while looking at bikes this year said mtn bike sales have dropped a lot but road bike sales are up even with the crap economy.
    Good luck with whatever you are looking for. I had to go to Charlotte

mtbr member
    A bike shop is a business. Would you run a business and ignore 2/3 of your potential customers?

That said, I got my Santa Cruz at Gusto Cycles in Greer, and they have been very helpful with adjustments and so forth since then. I would highly reccomend them. Bikeworx in Spartanburg just moved into a much larger building and is adding some new lines of bikes. I know he is getting Giant and maybe one more big name. He has Cannondale and KHS now. The Great Escape will sell you anything you want, as long as it says Trek on the sticker.

For a dedicated MTB only (Almost) shop, Carolina Fats in Asheville is a good place to go. They are just up the road from Bent Crick.

mtbr member
    Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest. Bar none. If they don't have it, they can get it. A+ service there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You just need to find your shop. I've had great service from all of the shops previously mentioned. I have never been to Bikeworx in Spartanburg, but I don't doubt Mikes statement. I personally like the guys at Sunshine, but I'm not necessarily typical - I swing both ways - road and mountain.

If you take some time to really talk to the people at the shops, you'll find a good mix of interests. I know several of the people at Sunshine and The Great Escape also ride both road and mountain. Can you walk in and buy your boutique freeride part? no, but chances are the shop will work with you to earn your business.

Stop reading...go ride!!!
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes i understand that a bike shop is a buisnes and no you shouldn't ignore 2/3's of your clients. Your entry level product and comfort/kids bikes are your bread and butter!!! However, where does the competitive racer go to get advice, parts, ride info??? Does anyone at the shops mentioned race? This area seems so ripe for a shop that deals with high end mtn product, all i see is a few shops that lean heavily on tri and road. Nothing wrong with that, but we have some of the best riding in the nation just miles up the road!!

Just a rant. Thanks for the interest.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeylee
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes i understand that a bike shop is a buisnes and no you shouldn't ignore 2/3's of your clients. Your entry level product and comfort/kids bikes are your bread and butter!!! However, where does the competitive racer go to get advice, parts, ride info??? Does anyone at the shops mentioned race? This area seems so ripe for a shop that deals with high end mtn product, all i see is a few shops that lean heavily on tri and road. Nothing wrong with that, but we have some of the best riding in the nation just miles up the road!!

Just a rant. Thanks for the interest.
    yeah it is kind of sad that out of the 7 or 8 shops in the greenville area none really focus on Mountain Bikes.

Head to Brevard or Asheville

Sycamore, Biowheels, ProBikes, Liberty, Youngblood, Carolina Fats, the Hub,

mtbr member
    seriously, though...if you're looking at high-end stuff, the G'ville shops don't have it in stock for roadies either. I bought my road bike from a shop in MA, my road wheels from a shop in the UK, my road shoes on-line, yada, yada.

The guys at Sunshine ordered and installed my most recent mtn shock and my disc brakes. And...i can tell you that two of the ladies working at Great Escape are mountain bike racers. So, you're not completely alone ;-)

MIT Graduate
    You could skip Liberty in Asheville. They're not that attentive to their customers and tend to be a bit on the elitist side.
    Genius accepts genius unconditionally.

Trail Liberator

Mtb bike shops

The guys at Sunshine in Gville have been awesome. When i occasionally snap parts off the enduro. Bikeworks and The Great Escape are pretty good here in Sparklecity if you need somebody to do your wrenching.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Impalla
    You could skip Liberty in Asheville. They're not that attentive to their customers and tend to be a bit on the elitist side.
    Purely anecdotal, but I have had the exact opposite experiences at Liberty. They are consistently voted a Top 100 dealer in the nation and do a ton to promote and advocate both road and mountain biking in our community. On top of that, they have a huge inventory of bikes and stock a ton of tires and parts.

MIT Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    Purely anecdotal, but I have had the exact opposite experiences at Liberty. They are consistently voted a Top 100 dealer in the nation and do a ton to promote and advocate both road and mountain biking in our community. On top of that, they have a huge inventory of bikes and stock a ton of tires and parts.
    I'm sure lots of people have had a fine experience at Liberty. I'm just not one of them. Their sales team has always been fine but their service department is what I find to be lacking. A couple of the guys are good but the rest aren't worth a patched tube.

Incidentally, the owner of Liberty is on the board of the committee that awards the Top 100 Dealers. I'm just saying....

I like Biowheels myself. Those guys give you great attention and service whether you have a $200 bike or a $5000 bike. Top notch.
    Genius accepts genius unconditionally.

Baton Rouge, LA
    A shame to hear this. I am moving to the area next week from Baton Rouge. We don't even have mountains here and we have 3 shops that strongly support MTBs and 2 more that offer a lot of service to the riders.

What would be a good trail to check out when I get in town? Nothing too technical, but I want to do more than ride on a gravel path.

mtbr member
    The first place to go if you are moving to Greenville is Paris Mtn. State Park. Lots more than gravel paths.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by StompinStu
    A shame to hear this. I am moving to the area next week from Baton Rouge. We don't even have mountains here and we have 3 shops that strongly support MTBs and 2 more that offer a lot of service to the riders.

What would be a good trail to check out when I get in town? Nothing too technical, but I want to do more than ride on a gravel path.
    Paris Mountain info page here

mtbr member
    agreed. even though they know I'm not local, the guys in the shop will usally take my bike w/ no appointment on a Saturday and work on it while i wait. That's service!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    agreed. even though they know I'm not local, the guys in the shop will usally take my bike w/ no appointment on a Saturday and work on it while i wait. That's service!
    Actually that's called 'not busy on the biggest shopping day of the week'
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Funny this thread popped up again. Two weeks ago I just stopped in Carolina Fatz and was blown away by the service. I bought some grips and had to bring my bike in so that the shop owner could put them on. That led to getting lots of little tweaks getting done that I had ignored. I ended up buying socks and a new pair of shoes. Needless to say I found me a new LBS that is well over an hour from my house.

mtbr member
    I've had really good luck with Great Escapes in Spartanburg for my MTB needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StompinStu

Paris is definitely a fun place - but be ready to pedal up some hills! It's my weekday ride spot.

Croft/Southside in Spartanburg is a lot of fun, too, and pretty well marked. About an hour drive is Dupont just over the border in NC, and for my money that place is outstanding - a bit of everything but nothing too bizarre (like Pisgah). It never gets old!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Bless you all for supporting your local IBDs! Huzzahs all around!
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

mtbr member
    Does anybody ever know what that Halwey guy is saying?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Members who have read this thread: 0