Greentown to ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Greentown to ???

Starting at 181 and coming down Greentown you pop out at 198. If I wanted to avoid the wilderness area trails (MST and Raiders), is there anything going LEFT toward MST that is rideable? Feel free to send a message.

I'm trying to get from Greentown to the top of Yancy while avoiding the 981 road. Is this possible?

mtbr member
    You should consider flipping your route. You will have a lot of gravel going that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You could take Harper Ck trail over to Kawana Rd (comes out where HQ finishes) then go up Kawana Rd, right down pineola until you get to the 464a road on the left, at the bottom cross the creek and then up Bee Mtn... down timber ridge to the unmarked connector back to the Gragg Prong parking lot... from there straight up 192 to the top of Yanceys. Of course a lot of this is hiking only.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Derek - That was the route I wanted to take but wanted to be a good steward and all that.

Is there anything along the ridgeline connecting Sugar Knob to Cold Mountain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I can't even . . .

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Greentown and Yancey are not two trails you do on the same ride unless you're trying to have a terrible day. Just do GT to Raiders, it has 100 times the bike traffic that it has hike traffic and has for 30 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I understand wanting to be a good steward but the chances of seeing anyone else on this route is very slim... even on the MST sections. Maybe go buy something at Coffey's General Store or Betsy's... support the local community to balance out your trail karma :-)

Not aware of any trails where you mention but that a little outside of my usual zone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That gives me some ideas, thanks everyone for the feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0