Greenslick Injury- Mtbr.com
    banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Greenslick Injury

So we decided to climb Greenslick and got about 100yards up the trail and come up on three guys. One guy had crashed and was bleeding from a bump on his head and a few other places and had some type of shoulder injury. Twice he said I don't remember what happen We were able to get him up and he walked out and will probably be fine.
    Sorry dude I truly hope you are ok.Me and Cruso took a friend riding out of Turkey Pen TH and he got knocked out about 100 yards from the truck, it was kind of a flashback to see this guy down today.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    So we decided to climb Greenslick and got about 100yards up the trail and come up on three guys. One guy had crashed and was bleeding from a bump on his head and a few other places and had some type of shoulder injury. Twice he said I don't remember what happen We were able to get him up and he walked out and will probably be fine.
    Sorry dude I truly hope you are ok.Me and Cruso took a friend riding out of Turkey Pen TH and he got knocked out about 100 yards from the truck, it was kind of a flashback to see this guy down today.
    But did he have the cow stare?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you were the one with the brain injury if you were going UP Greenslick.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    LOL mike... Motobutane and I went up partially because there was a guy sitting at the bottom stressed that his guys had not shown up yet and thought one of them might have crashed.. But funny.. It seemed no harder to climb up that and end up at 5 points than climbing sidehill.. Except for one very steep section...

Yes, he did have the cow stare cruso!

banned
    I hated this guy got hurt, but all I could think about was....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UzfY-aXGcBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Sorry the guy got hurt. Hope everything turned out OK.

I did Greenslick for the first time last Fri on my Trek, now just wondering way I waited so long to go. BTW, which is quicker, pushing up or going the long way around up the road/trails?
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    It's a good thing he walked out because all of Skyland's rescue equipment was in Black Mountain looking for the girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Sorry the guy got hurt. Hope everything turned out OK.

I did Greenslick for the first time last Fri on my Trek, now just wondering way I waited so long to go. BTW, which is quicker, pushing up or going the long way around up the road/trails?
    It only took +/- 25 minutes to climb GL, going up N. boundary or ingles field would take longer.When you coming to the rock? May 1st maybe my next day.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    It's a good thing he walked out because all of Skyland's rescue equipment was in Black Mountain looking for the girl.
    No doubt, thats why I try to ride with someone,especially in Pisgah proper.At bentcreek you are more likely to be found.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Climbing it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Everyone should give it a shot. Unfortunately the descent down N Boundry isn't nearly as interesting as it used to be, but linking that straight through Five Points > Ingles makes for a long fast stretch.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I hated this guy got hurt, but all I could think about was....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UzfY-aXGcBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    HAHAHA! Damn Moto, thought you were too old/white... Nice allusion. For you and your new greek dh apprentice, we're running shuttles on Sunday. Give me a shout.

mtbr member
    When you coming to the rock? May 1st maybe my next day.
    Posted over at the other place.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    seems to me GL should be dh only. there's enough climbing in them hills, and everyone knows that's a trail where the skilled and unskilled alike test the limits...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Iridetitus... That's total BS. The end.

Edit- However, I will say that the "uphill rider has the right of way" rule does not apply on that kind of trail... When climbing a trail like Greenslick, I am always looking for a rider coming down and ready to get the heck out of the way and not ruin their DH... I know I would appreciate that.. On any other trail I would not climb this way.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    seems to me GL should be dh only. there's enough climbing in them hills, and everyone knows that's a trail where the skilled and unskilled alike test the limits...
    No thanks. And I disagree with the "enough climbing" part....ride BC enough and we all start looking for new routes. Dozens of people get hurt on GL, but I have never heard of any problems relating to two-way traffic. If you are going to make that argument, then Ingles Field should dh-only as well....there's a much greater risk of collision there.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs
    Iridetitus... That's total BS. The end.

Edit- However, I will say that the "uphill rider has the right of way" rule does not apply on that kind of trail... When climbing a trail like Greenslick, I am always looking for a rider coming down and ready to get the heck out of the way and not ruin their DH... I know I would appreciate that.. On any other trail I would not climb this way.
    I disagree. Downhill riders should always yield to uphill riders. Greenslick is not a mtb downhill specific trail and as such riders should be prepared for hikers, horses and bikes to be coming up the trail and should yield to them all. I haven't been on Greenslick in years but last time I was on it was very wide and had good sight lines so yielding should not be difficult.

Whenever I'm climbing Black Mtn. I'm always expecting a bike to be coming around one of the blind turns at 25mph, not exactly a good feeling.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Yeah lets get those " Suggested route" and directional signs mounted

mtbr member
    I feel the guys pain from crashing on Greenslick. Site of my worst crash, back in 2006. Shook me off the bike for nearly a year... Such a great trail and SO easy to go faster than my abilities can keep up with.

I have since ridden the trail successfully, at a much more reasonable pace
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Big Mac
    I think Greenslick should only be opened on Thurs. and users should have to have a permit. The permit would require fees and the passing of various "skills tests" to obtain. I think the only bikes allowed should be FS 26"ers because clown wheels are ghey and full rigid is just silly. I feel this way because we all know that what we really need is more regulation in the focking woods! Now stop with this nonsense!

Members who have read this thread: 0