Grandfather Knows best....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Grandfather Knows best....

Saw the article in Bike on the Grandfather district. Sounds like some good trails out there. Is it as hard to get around as they say?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's not terrible but there are definitely some seemingly clear cut intersections on the map that don't always translate to being clear cut on the ground. Lots of other 'trails' that are not labeled. Also what looks like a great trail on the map can turn into a dud in reality.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not terrible is a start. any other intel? Any good GPS links up there in the interwebs?

THANKS ALL.

mtbr member
    I'd wager that an article spilling the beans on that part of PNF is not going to be well received by some locals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    I'd wager that an article spilling the beans on that part of PNF is not going to be well received by some locals.
    This. Best bet is to ride with someone or you will get lost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pisgah Map Company

Haven't seen the article yet but the area could certainly handle a little more traffic, rarely do we bump in to other riders out there.

The Pisgah map company has a good map of the area. You can get it on your phone using the Avenza app. Make sure you have plently of juice in your phone though or have a battery extender.

It's a beautiful area that is definitely under utilized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mueller- Here in PA were not big on "secret stash" trails. Were not that protective here and welcome riders to our area. Its not received well to be exclusionary. If anyone here ever hits PA up- reach out and I'm sure you will get hooked up with some good rides.

As for the grandfather trails, sounds burly and back country. Good news is, I have someone that has offered to at least show us some directions and welcome a one day ride partner to show us around...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    Mueller- Here in PA were not big on "secret stash" trails. Were not that protective here and welcome riders to our area. Its not received well to be exclusionary. If anyone here ever hits PA up- reach out and I'm sure you will get hooked up with some good rides.

As for the grandfather trails, sounds burly and back country. Good news is, I have someone that has offered to at least show us some directions and welcome a one day ride partner to show us around...
    I'm hoping to get a tour of Michaux soon, since I live in northern MD now.

Maybe the grandfather district has become a little less hush hush now, but I think people have historically been protective because the "grey area" legality of a lot of the good trails in that area. That said, without bike traffic, lots of those trails would hardly stay passable and it's not common to encounter many other users. Regardless, its best to have a guide or some experience with the area and a good map. I haven't read the article, so I don't know what it contained.

mtbr member
    On that note:

Whoever the dipshits are that are cutting a new trail off the Parkway near Grandmother can stop now. Seriously. Awesome thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Mueler- that makes some more sense. Mueller- Michaux is a bit out there for me, I don't live so close, and have only been there once (shame on me!). If you are coming up north let me know and ill get the word out to the local community....someone will hook you up with a guide ride...

mtbr member
    Seriously, it's a horrible place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The NWNC Mtn Bike Alliance SORBA chapter did a work day on Lower Wilson Ridge trail back in March, and are participating in the Wilson Creek cleanup day on April 11. They are very much wanting to put in some work on the legal trails in Pisgah-Grandfather.

The other beautiful thing to note about this district is the hundreds of miles of gravel roads through the forest.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    On that note:

Whoever the dipshits are that are cutting a new trail off the Parkway near Grandmother can stop now. Seriously. Awesome thanks.
    Wow trbl

mtbr member
    Wilson Ridge is in rough shape. It was a jungle on Lower Wilson Ridge. Would be nice to ride that again.

Edit: apparently climbers are doing the cutting. Not good...
    Last edited by Sugar_Brad; 04-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    Maybe the grandfather district has become a little less hush hush now, but I think people have historically been protective because the "grey area" legality of a lot of the good trails in that area.
    There's no gray area; bikes are prohibited on a lot of the favorite trails in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, obikema