GPS coordinates- Mtbr.com

Thread: GPS coordinates

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

GPS coordinates

does anyone have the trailhead coordinates for some of the better rides? My newest toy is a GPS and being that I only know how to get to Bent Creek I thought that would make it easy to find them next time I come up. I was thinking Fleetcher Creek , Black mountain , Picklesimer Field ( if I'm up in fall) or even Tsali left and right loops. Or smewhere close.

If anyone has them saved please post them. It would be cool for the out of towners to post coordinates for the gatherings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datman

If anyone has them saved please post them. It would be cool for the out of towners to post coordinates for the gatherings.
    Just as accurate as my GPS and lots more convenient when I'm sitting at the computer...

Go here - USGS Map Download click on Map Locator, search for the map you want by zip or name. You can catch all the main Pisgah trails around Brevard with Pisgah Forest, Shining Rock, Rosman, Dunsmore, Cruso, and Sam Knob.

When you download topos from USGS they come as GeoPDF which is a PDF file enhanced with geospatial details by a company called TerrGo Technologies. When you open the map in Acrobat you will have some nice toolbars which let you mark locations and give you the GPS coordinates in about 300 different formats...

I can pull up the Pisgah Forest map and easily see that the intersection of Squirrel Gap and Cantrell Creek is at Latitude 36.36505 and Longitude -82.71146. The Black Mtn trailhead is at 35.28126 -82.72266

If you pay a few $$$ and get the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated digital maps you can use the note tool to mark a location and the GPS coordinates are a part of the note. For instance, the parking lot @ Cove Creek is at 35.2826995, -82.816566.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    great, thanks for the tip.

it just took a little fishing around I came up with this. I printed the page and preprogrammed the coordinates in the gps.

Tsali gps 35-23.64 83-35.541

From Bryson City, NC, follow US 19/74 (Great Smoky Mountains Expressway)
    to intersection with NC 28 north. Follow NC 28 north about 3 miles to sign for the Tsali Recreation Area;
    turn right. Follow this to the campground and trailhead parking lot; park in the lot signed "Riders Park and Pay Here."

Picklesimer Field gps 35-17.125 82-47.501

From Asheville, take I-240 west to I-26 east to the exit for the Asheville Airport (exit 40). Turn right onto NC 280;
    follow this 4-lane highway for 16 miles toward Brevard. At the intersection with US highways 276 and 64, turn right onto US 276 west
    (follow signs for Pisgah National Forest). Follow US 276 for 5.2 miles; turn left onto FR 475. Go 1.4 miles to the Center for Wildlife
    Education and Fish Hatchery. Turn left, cross the bridge and park in the parking lot.

Dainel Ridge gps 35-17.125 82-47.501

How to Get There: From Asheville, take I-240 west to I-26 east to the exit for the Asheville Airport (exit 9). Turn right onto NC 280;
    follow this 4-lane highway toward Brevard for 16 miles. At the intersection with US highways 276 and 64, turn right onto US 276 west
    (follow signs for Pisgah National Forest). Follow this road for 5.2 miles; turn left onto FR 475 (signs for the fish hatchery will be seen).
    The fish hatchery is 1.4 miles past the turn, then FR 475 turns to gravel. The parking area is 2.5 miles beyond where the road turns gravel,
    on the right.

Fletcher creek gps 35-24.425 82-38.800

From Asheville, take I-240 west to I-26 east. Take Asheville Airport exit (exit 9) and go south (right) on NC 280.
    Just past intersection with NC 191, make a right at the stoplight onto North Mills River Road and follow signs to
    the North Mills River Recreation area. Just past North Mills River Recreation Area parking lot, make a right onto Wash Creek Road,
    which is now paved for the first 1/4 mile or so. Follow this for several miles; this is FR 479
    although a sign at the beginning used to say "1000". Turn left onto the first un-gated gravel road which has a concrete low-water bridge,
    and follow this 0.5 mile to the Trace Ridge trailhead and parking lot.

Eastern Slickrock gps 35-09.811 82.38.384

How to Get There: From Asheville, take I-240 west to I-26 east to the exit for the Asheville Airport (exit 9). Turn right onto NC 280;
    follow this 4-lane highway for 16 miles toward Brevard. Stay straight on the 4-lane, NC 280 ends and the highway becomes US 276/US 64.
    Stay on this until downtown Brevard; turn left to follow US 276. Stay on 276 until Cascade Lake Road; just past Grammy's restaurant.
    Turn left here. Go about two miles and park in the large parking area on the left, rimmed with huge boulders and with an information
    board in the back of the lot. The Corn Mill Shoals Road trail starts across the road from the parking lot. Locate DSF on the WNC Area Map.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention the neatest trick of all - Google Map it!

Take the coords for Black Mtn that I noted above 35.28126 -82.72266 and just put it into the search at Google Maps

It marks the spot on the map, you can click 'Directions' put in your location and presto, turn by turn directions from any location right to the trailhead.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    So what are the coordinates for Papas and Beer?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    So what are the coordinates for Papas and Beer?
    35.524388,-82.60469

Members who have read this thread: 0