Gov shut down, Pkwy shut out- Mtbr.com
    Thread Killer

Gov shut down, Pkwy shut out

Heads up for newbies to the area: If the gub'ment goes into shutdown this weekend, the Parkway will be under "area closure" rules, meaning no access, even by bike or foot. Park Service law enforcement will still be on the job, and they'll be looking for ways to make money ...

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...cles/110409874

mtbr member
    Why do we elect silver-spooners to go to Washington to do something they are unaccustomed to doing? Budgeting.
    Last edited by Lule; 04-08-2011 at 06:20 AM.

pronounced may-duh
    Why do allow tax cuts for the rich when we can't afford to pay our teachers?

mtbr member
    Because the rich eventually run out of money.

If the Dems will admit they have a spending problem, and agree to CUT THE BUDGET , there will be no shut down. Oh, yeah, in years the past the Republicans were almost as guilty, politicians like to spend money, no matter what color they wear, but the time to suck it up has come.

I'm sick of government workers thinking they're entitled to way more benefits that I get in a private sector job, while they expect me to fund it with more taxes.

The article in question is a hilarious, but pathetic, example of why the government is in the mess it's in. It will shut down the road to users, which has a negligible marginal cost and forego the revenues that come to the Inns, but keep paying the law enforcement rangers. I'd like to see the numbers on that. Clearly, it's a political move. (unless they expect to give out a buttload of tickets...hmmmm.....)

-eddie.
    are you guys kidding? the government isn't the problem. it's their out of control spending. I'm glad they're getting things done and telling the dems how it is. They shouldn't break on this, the gov. always back pays, and the military is still going to get paid even if the shut down last until september.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    That's the most laughably stupid comment I've ever read on MTBR.

Read this paper and tell me that one more time.

Wealth, Income, and Power
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    "I'm sick of government workers thinking they're entitled to way more benefits that I get in a private sector job, while they expect me to fund it with more taxes."

You should take a gander at what your local letter carrier makes. High pay for low skills...

pronounced may-duh

If the Dems will admit they have a spending problem, and agree to CUT THE BUDGET , there will be no shut down. Oh, yeah, in years the past the Republicans were almost as guilty, politicians like to spend money, no matter what color they wear, but the time to suck it up has come.

I'm sick of government workers thinking they're entitled to way more benefits that I get in a private sector job, while they expect me to fund it with more taxes.

The article in question is a hilarious, but pathetic, example of why the government is in the mess it's in. It will shut down the road to users, which has a negligible marginal cost and forego the revenues that come to the Inns, but keep paying the law enforcement rangers. I'd like to see the numbers on that. Clearly, it's a political move. (unless they expect to give out a buttload of tickets...hmmmm.....)
    Run out of money! That's total BS. Last time, I checked wall street and many corporations were enjoying record profits. Even if the rich were forced to give up 50% of their fortunes they would still live very comfortable lives. I really would not feel sorry for them.

I'm sick of teabaggers thinking that roads and police and schools grow on trees. All these cost money. TAX MONEY!!! Time to pay your share.

Most teachers, cops, firefighters, DOT workers, garbage men, postal workers don't make much money. They should not loose their jobs because some wall street banker needs a fat bonus this year.

Wall street and corporate America is laughing all the way to the bank with record profits while we bicker over budget cuts. Well **** that. We need to raise taxes and give the teachers and cops and all the great government workers a fat bonus for doing an awesome job. Yep your heard me! Raise taxes.

H8 H8 H8
    Top U.S. Federal marginal income tax rate from 1913 to 2011.

Presented without further comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Politics suck! I am going to go ride my bike!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Where are the mods when we really need them?
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    But here's where you have made your error:

Wall street fat cats and investment bankers are a teeny, tiny , infinitesimal portion of the federal tax base. You could tax 100% of what they make, and it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket.

The "rich" from a tax perspective are a totally different demographic.

Generally, i try not to wade into these political things, but right now I am seriously pissed off. Why? because I'm sitting here RIGHT NOW trying to figure out how the &%^$ i'm going to pay my taxes. Small business gets it in the neck more and more every year. And each time I'm faced w/ higher taxes, more regulations, more paperwork, more employment taxes, (are you aware that self-employed pay TWICE the fica other people do?) and as i try to find cash not only for my taxes but for employment taxes and employee benefits, I'm forced to think about cutting back staff. And THAT, my friend, is how 10% unemployment happens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Flat Tax

15% Flat Tax - everyone pays, rich, poor, corporations, etc

No loopholes or deductions.

When 40% of the population has no skin in the game with respect to federal income taxes, its easy to demand more taxes for the other 60%...

Should make good fodder for discussion while we're hiking Sumney Cove during PMBAR

the other white meat
    "The wire is life, everything else is waiting"
    Karl Wallenda

mtbr member

Not trying to defend the Dems, but it looks like the Republicans (or just Tea Party members, perhaps) are just as guilty here. There don't appear to be any substantial cuts being debated. What IS being debated are all the riders that have been attached. Take a look for yourself at some of this stuff. It's about ideology, not budgets.

http://www.ombwatch.org/files/budget...icy_Riders.pdf

mtbr member
    "But here's where you have made your error:

Wall street fat cats and investment bankers are a teeny, tiny , infinitesimal portion of the federal tax base. You could tax 100% of what they make, and it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket.

Generally, i try not to wade into these political things, but right now I am seriously pissed off. Why? because I'm sitting here RIGHT NOW trying to figure out how the &%^$ i'm going to pay my taxes. Small business gets it in the neck more and more every year. And each time I'm faced w/ higher taxes, more regulations, more paperwork, more employment taxes, (are you aware that self-employed pay TWICE the fica other people do?) and as i try to find cash not only for my taxes but for employment taxes and employee benefits, I'm forced to think about cutting back staff. And THAT, my friend, is how 10% unemployment happens. "

As a business owner myself ----I say "Well Said, Litespeedchick"
    Now, its a beautiful day, Lets go riding!

And He was Not
    Its your fault, no, it's your fault, No you did this, but you did this first. On and On it goes.

Man, we could use a leader right now...
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    May 2009
    National forests and BLM lands will remain open but national parks close

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...#ixzz1Ix9X1FHs

banned
    It’s no use pretending that what has obviously happened has not in fact happened. The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation’s income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent. One response might be to celebrate the ingenuity and drive that brought good fortune to these people, and to contend that a rising tide lifts all boats. That response would be misguided. While the top 1 percent have seen their incomes rise 18 percent over the past decade, those in the middle have actually seen their incomes fall. For men with only high-school degrees, the decline has been precipitous—12 percent in the last quarter-century alone. All the growth in recent decades—and more—has gone to those at the top. In terms of income equality, America lags behind any country in the old, ossified Europe that President George W. Bush used to deride. Among our closest counterparts are Russia with its oligarchs and Iran. While many of the old centers of inequality in Latin America, such as Brazil, have been striving in recent years, rather successfully, to improve the plight of the poor and reduce gaps in income, America has allowed inequality to grow.
    Economists long ago tried to justify the vast inequalities that seemed so troubling in the mid-19th century—inequalities that are but a pale shadow of what we are seeing in America today. The justification they came up with was called “marginal-productivity theory.” In a nutshell, this theory associated higher incomes with higher productivity and a greater contribution to society. It is a theory that has always been cherished by the rich. Evidence for its validity, however, remains thin. The corporate executives who helped bring on the recession of the past three years—whose contribution to our society, and to their own companies, has been massively negative—went on to receive large bonuses. In some cases, companies were so embarrassed about calling such rewards “performance bonuses” that they felt compelled to change the name to “retention bonuses” (even if the only thing being retained was bad performance). Those who have contributed great positive innovations to our society, from the pioneers of genetic understanding to the pioneers of the Information Age, have received a pittance compared with those responsible for the financial innovations that brought our global economy to the brink of ruin.

pronounced may-duh
    But here's where you have made your error:

Generally, i try not to wade into these political things, but right now I am seriously pissed off. Why? because I'm sitting here RIGHT NOW trying to figure out how the &%^$ i'm going to pay my taxes. Small business gets it in the neck more and more every year. And each time I'm faced w/ higher taxes, more regulations, more paperwork, more employment taxes, (are you aware that self-employed pay TWICE the fica other people do?) and as i try to find cash not only for my taxes but for employment taxes and employee benefits, I'm forced to think about cutting back staff. And THAT, my friend, is how 10% unemployment happens.

Companies like investment banks and insurers had over 400 billion in profits in 2010. The financial sector now accounts for about 30 percent of the economy's overall operating profits. Meanwhile the republicans are working on a 40 billion dollar budget cut. Now maybe it does not all need to come from wall street BUT the money is there. And wall street is not "a teeny, tiny , infinitesimal portion of the federal tax base"

Not to mention the over 1.25 ****ing trillion in after taxes corporate profits from 2010. Somebody is not paying their share.

I'm sorry that your having trouble paying your taxes. Didn't the last tax cut reduce payroll tax? Didn't the last batch of cuts that Obama & the republicans rolled out include several breaks for small business owners? Your taxes should have gone down not up. Or perhaps all those breaks went to the richest of the rich.

banned
    If I knew we could discuss politics.....blame the republicans, blame the "tea party', but don't blame the democrats. President Obama has said the current budget debate was something that should have been resolved “six months ago.” That was when congressional Democrats opted to operate the government on stopgap measures rather than have a messy budget debate in advance of bruising midterm elections.

--
    Many congressional Democrats would argue that the reason no budget was produced in 2010 was that the White House agenda was so large and so time-consuming that it didn’t leave time or political will to begin a budget process.

A former Democratic member of the House who lost in 2010 amid sharp opposition to Obama’s health care law told Power Play that having already dealt with the unpopular climate and health bills, lawmakers spent the spring and half of the summer of 2010 wrangling the Dodd-Frank bank bill demanded by Obama. When that work was done, there was little hope for taking up a budget.

“There was a real sense of exhaustion,” the former member said.

Even with major majorities in both Houses, Democrats knew they would be unable to push through a budget. Obama, particularly with health care, had overloaded the circuits.

In casting himself as above the fiscal fray and bemoaning the lingering budget problems, Obama is casting implicit blame on his former congressional colleagues.
    (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...hill-dems-bus/)
    ---
    Let's put blame where blame lies, the members of Congress who are too afraid of pissing off their "constituents". The current Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security model is outdated and broken. As they are currently they are unsustainable. Those three "tenets" of our American society need to be changed. Just because your grandfather got "A", doesn't mean you are going to get "A" also, times change. I'm not advocating doing away with any of those 3 programs, but they need to be changed to be sustainable.
    Is Defense spending too high, yes. But cutting defense spending and raising taxes is not the solution to fixing unsustainable policies.

[edit] If the government does shutdown 800,000 gov't. employees will probably end oup on the unemployment line. The ms had a 2 House majority and yet they never got around to drafting much less passing a budget. Gee, I don't know but, the PRIME responsibility of Congress is budgetary. [/edit]

-eddie.
    i wonder if the other state's forums are talking about mountain biking?

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
    National forests and BLM lands will remain open but national parks close
    Yes -- it's oversimplifying, but beyond the actual presence of gates as noted in the article, it comes down to their mandate (how they're run), specifically re: staffing and control. National Forests like Pisgah have gates too, but are not staffed and controlled the same way as National Parks, including museums and the BRP. So although you can theoretically walk onto the Parkway grounds from different access points that aren't staffed (all those back entrances from neighborhoods in South Asheville), the BRP is a Park, and therefore a controlled-access resource. It will therefore be closed, along with the Smithsonian and other Park Service resources.

(On a personal note, I'm sad because I had planned to visit Charleston this weekend in remembrance of the 150th anniversary of the firing on Ft. Sumter. Sumter and Moultrie are both in the care of the NPS ...)

Closer to home, it's similar to why you can ride DuPont at night (as a "State Forest") but can't at Lake Norman (a "State Park") without special permission, in part because Lake Norman would require a ranger to be on duty so long as users are there, even into the night. (Something to note as the debate of DuPont's future continues ...)

So although the fine folks you know at the USFS will be furloughed as well, the Forests are a different level of staffing and control than the Parks service and will remain open. The upshot is we should all go ride Pisgah or DuPont tomorrow. Everything else will sort itself out.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Gee, I don't know but, the PRIME responsibility of Congress is budgetary.
    Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) made a great point at the recent National Bike Summit in Washington: the primary responsibility of Congress is debate. That's their mandate: to argue. It's the way they're set up, it's their DNA.

Sort of like our message board.

It's a wonder we get anything done around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) made a great point at the recent National Bike Summit in Washington: the primary responsibility of Congress is debate. That's their mandate: to argue. It's the way they're set up, it's their DNA.

Sort of like our message board.

It's a wonder we get anything done around here.
    What is amazing to me is that the debate in this thread is much more tame than most debates on mtbr. I couldn't even detect any trolling in Motos post!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC
    What is amazing to me is that the debate in this thread is much more tame than most debates on mtbr. I couldn't even detect any trolling in Motos post!
    I'm getting smooooooother

mtbr member

whoda thunkit?

Brain Structure Differs in Liberals, Conservatives

"Liberals have more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear, said the study on Thursday in Current Biology.

"We found that greater liberalism was associated with increased gray matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex, whereas greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala," the study said."
    many gears, some pies

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC

Thats because most of us here are hard working, middle class, who are constantly getting screwed by Uncle Sam.
    Last edited by Enoch; 04-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nevermind........

Politically Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Its your fault, no, it's your fault, No you did this, but you did this first. On and On it goes.

Man, we could use a leader right now...

You're fed up with the Tarheel Trailblazers forum too? Jeebus, it must be bad over there!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I think I'll head over to a political forum and tell everyone their bike sucks.

This is lame.

mtbr member
    I'm starting a pool for how long it takes this thread to get shut down- I take 9pm tonight.

That said, IMO, the possible shut down is not a budget problem. It's a short term clusterf... caused by the lack of common courtesy and the ability to compromise rampant in our culture.

We do , however, have a long-term budget problem. Regarding cuts proposed at the federal, state, and local levels, here's just a few points:

1) Isn't it kind of shooting ourselves in the foot to lay off hundreds of thousands of government workers who do fulfill productive functions (like teacher's assistants, sanitation workers, and park service employees- because the bottom is where the so-called fat gets trimmed)? Doesn't this take tax dollars being used at least semi-productively and divert them to completely unproductive unemployment benefits?

2) I'm a social worker who works for a private company that contracts with the government. You pay my middle class salary. Before that upsets you, know that by me doing my job correctly, I SAVE the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars every year by keeping the most disadvantaged in our population in the community and out of significantly more expensive alternatives like mental institutions, prisons, and hospitals.

Most government workers produce similar "goods" of immeasureable value- like quality of life, education, security, and the public lands we mountain bike on. Next time, try thanking one of us instead of regarding us as wasteful pariahs.

Thread Killer
    So, seriously: I started this thread just to let folks know to stay off the Parkway. Really.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    People in just about EVERY other part of the world would KILL or be KILLED for the standard of living we have, the opportunity to own their own business, the right to bitc# about taxes in a public forum, etc., etc. Politicians DO need to do a better job of representing the BEST interests of each and every citizen, but it takes a lot of audacity for people who can afford a computer and presumably a mountain bike to complain about owing taxes and OWNING their own business while 90% of the world literally eats where they shi^. Besides, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the only tax increases for people that pull down at least six figures? Oh, and it sucks that the parkway might be shut down.
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    This is lame.
    As posted by someone in the same thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule
    As posted by someone in the same thread...
    Very clever.

Official Cooler Inspector
    crossboy: This is MTBr, you never know what you're gonna get.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

banned
    While you guys are arguing over this silly political matter, you are missing the greatest video EVA!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CD2LRROpph0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    While you guys are arguing over this silly political matter, you are missing the greatest video EVA!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CD2LRROpph0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Second best video EVAR!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Chelwb6Ja4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pronounced may-duh
    That song is so DOPE!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eLAMhTorPCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HTFU!
    This is up there in the top 5 at least!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/24yUUHYlJEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

pronounced may-duh
    Hitler is one funny mother****er!

Thread Killer
    [spoiler alert!!!]

Hey everyone, the Parkway is open. But thanks for playing.

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    [spoiler alert!!!]

Hey everyone, the Parkway is open. But thanks for playing.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    I'll take Mountain Biking and Politics for 100 Alex.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by marc taylor
    STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID!!!! Obama Tax refund totaled was $12,334.

What A hypocrite, Obama raked in a lot more than the $400,000 salary from us tax payers to be President. In fact, the Obama's made nearly $2 million in 2010, yet paid the absolute minimum in taxes he could. The so called “millionaires” and “billionaires” that are calling on other “rich people” to pay more than their fair share of taxes obviously didn’t get through to Obama. This bull @#%$ leader of ours has the audacity to tells us to put skin in the game??????????
    I agree, all the rich folks (both dems and reps) should pay more in taxes. Obama should not be excluded. Everybody needs to pay their share.

HTFU!
    Obama raked in a lot more than the $400,000 salary from us tax payers to be President. In fact, the Obama's made nearly $2 million in 2010, yet paid the absolute minimum in taxes he could.
    Uh, aren't all americans supposed to pay the absolute minimum tax? I mean who pays more tax than the law calls for?

What A hypocrite
    Uh, he is a politician. No more of a hypocrite than Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan...

Politically Incorrect
    The size of his tax refund doesn't means he didn't pay his share of taxes........ only that he needs to find another accountant.

A refund is just that portion that you let the gubment use for a year, interest-free. They keep the rest.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For those who like the full story and just not selectively edited pieces:

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama reported an income of $1.78 million
    last year, most of that from the sale of the president’s books, and paid federal taxes of
    $466,104
    . That will entitle them to a refund of $12,334, reports said Monday.

That's right, they paid federal taxes of $466,104, with a $12,334 refund of over payment of
    taxes. So they paid $453,770 in taxes this year.

For those of us who have to send in quarterly "Estimated Taxes" each year, we know that
    some years you pay in to much and get a refund and some years you don't pay enough in
    estimated taxes and you have to pay more.

Politically Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    For those of us who have to send in quarterly "Estimated Taxes" each year, we know that
    some years you pay in to much and get a refund and some years you don't pay enough in
    estimated taxes and you have to pay more with penalties and interest
    Fixt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motoenth
    Fixt.
    If you pay enough in estimated taxes you are "safe harbored" and do not pay any penalties or interest, just the additional taxes you owe.
    I've done this for years and have never paid any penalties or interest when I have owed more and the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Okay! I fess up! I try to pay as little in taxes as possible. I've been doing it for years, too.

I'm so ashamed.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    The Huffington post spin game what a lame site to get your news. You can spin it any way you like but the fact is Obama paid the absolute minimum in taxes why'll preaching to us we need to put skin in the game and pay more taxes. Leaders set the example and lead from the front, not the Golf coarse!!!!!!!!

I agree with Maida7 everybody needs to pay their share

You're wrong. Check your "facts." Their tax return and refund have been reported as news all over the place. They paid $453,770 in taxes, and received a refund for over payment.
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

HTFU!
    The Huffington post spin game what a lame site to get your news. You can spin it any way you like but the fact is Obama paid the absolute minimum in taxes why'll preaching to us we need to put skin in the game and pay more taxes. Leaders set the example and lead from the front, not the Golf coarse!!!!!!!!

I think the only one trying to put a "spin" on this is you. You can find the same numbers at whithouse.gov, the associate press, yahoo news, reuters etc... They are cold hard numbers, not fuzzy math. This is what was earned...this is what was paid...this is what was refunded...
    You forgot to mention the ~2 million the Obamas gave to charity over the last couple years. A big chunk of it (1.4 million) being from the nobel peace prize (which I am sure you would argue he did not deserve...but who really cares). Nice that charities were blessed with all that money.

There are always plenty of things to find wrong with a president as they are constantly under a microscope and under constant scrutiny by ~half the country. I think you just picked the wrong thing to be upset with this president about. Most should not have a problem with someone scrutinizing the president, that is a freedom in this country; but seriously, argue about policy maybe, but not his personal taxes...it just makes you come off as a brainless Glen Beck, Limbaugh lemming.
    IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lule
    Okay! I fess up! I try to pay as little in taxes as possible. I've been doing it for years, too.

I'm so ashamed.
    Communist!

banned
    Notable Quote - Jay Leno. "Can you imagine how many wars we'd be in if President Obama hadn't gotten the Nobel Peace Prize?"

banned

Next time, check your facts before making a fool of yourself on the interwebz. Trust me, I'm a professional at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0