Good luck to you guys- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good luck to you guys

Good luck to all, hopefully everyone is ready for florence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amagad View Post
    Good luck to all, hopefully everyone is ready for florence.
    ...and the forecast just got worse for WNC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What forecast is everyone looking at?

because the ones I'm reading say we can expect relative dry between today and Sun AM, then the rain starts Sun PM but the amount/quantity is unknown at this point. With the storm 2 days from the coast and several days from us, I'm inclined to believe that what we actually will see is yet to be determined.

Maybe I'm just optimistic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    What forecast is everyone looking at?

because the ones I'm reading say we can expect relative dry between today and Sun AM, then the rain starts Sun PM but the amount/quantity is unknown at this point. With the storm 2 days from the coast and several days from us, I'm inclined to believe that what we actually will see is yet to be determined.

Maybe I'm just optimistic
    www.weather.gov -> Forecast, Hurricane, Florence, Rainfall potential.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check out app or web site "Windy". Open and select rain thunder on right bar menu.

Default weather model should be the European. Then select play on bottom bar menu.

The storm track looks bad for Carolinas and Georgia for rain. Select the other models and repeat, but still looks like a ton if rain.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Bout the only good thing about the adjusted forecast is that it pushed the arrival of the storm in WNC back a bit. But it appears to have bumped up the forecast rainfall totals for the area. I bought a rain gauge so I can keep track of the rainfall at my place, which is likely to be somewhat less than what most of the trails will wind up with. Which doesn't bode particularly well either way for folks in low-lying areas or on steep slopes. Thankfully I have neither, but for me to get anywhere notable, I do have to cross some low-lying areas that would be at risk for washing out. So getting stranded for awhile is a risk for me if the wrong road gets washed out.

I saw my first gas station in Asheville yesterday that had run out of gas. I didn't see any huge runs on gasoline, but that particular station (Ingles on Smokey Park Hwy in Candler) was probably scheduled to get a delivery sometime in the next couple days and even a small uptick in traffic would empty them. A few silly people filling up multiple gas cans. I suppose that might only be necessary if people will be running generators during power outages. Me, I'd rather have solar with a battery backup. Or a bigger standby generator that runs on propane. But solar/battery is my preferred setup. Maybe add a small wind turbine for diversity in power generation (the location/orientation of my house gets really good winds in wintertime).

My wife is DEF happy about the storm's arrival being pushed back. She works Thurs-Sun nights, and REALLY doesn't want to have to try to sleep at work if any roads get washed out. There are a couple of choke points on her commute that could be critical in that regard.

mtbr member
    Forest Service is shutting down campsite and closing gates:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc...d=FSEPRD595457

I'm up in the High Country. Some models show us getting up to 15" of rain... Drainage ditches are dug, dehumidifiers and shop vac ready, and plenty of milk and bread (for milk and bread sandwiches of course). I can't imagine the freak out that is going on in the Piedmont and coast right now. They aren't equipped to deal with a storm like this. Good luck everyone.

mtbr member
    10 TRILLIONS with a T gallons of water are expected to be dumped on the Carolinas alone with this hurricane. I thought that was a lot until I read Harvey dumped a total of 19 Trillion gallons on Texas.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    This could be Hugo 2. That one came all the way to Charlotte and tore things up in 89. On the bright side, I did get in an excellent run on the Nolichucky river at 4' a few days after the storm.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Raleigh
    Sittin' in Raleigh waiting; got my beer, buds, chips & salsa - watching the winds pick up and wave size increase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4...ature=youtu.be
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    Sittin' in Raleigh waiting; got my beer, buds, chips & salsa - watching the winds pick up and wave size increase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4...ature=youtu.be
    Waiting? Sheeeet. I'm going to ride tonight, probably tomorrow after work. Probably gonna be a while before trails are in good shape again. Get dirt now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Waiting? Sheeeet. I'm going to ride tonight, probably tomorrow after work. Probably gonna be a while before trails are in good shape again. Get dirt now.
    No doubt... I see the USFS is gating stuff and closing facilities. Looks like we're good through Saturday though so ride while you can...
    On your left!

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Yeah, I've been riding all week knowing this crap was coming, sprained my calf pretty good last night... guess the timing wasn't so bad.

Go get em'!!!!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Im at working watching the same video in case the link above didn't work

https://www.journalnow.com/news/stat...712c9c98f.html
    2019 Kona Honzo
    SOLD - 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

mtbr member
    twowheelmotion from NorCal thread checking in with you guy out there. I've never ridden or even been to NC, but I am dealing with a customer in WNC and he's been off work for about a week now. He doesn't ride or anything, so I can't imagine he is awol riding hero dirt. But being we way out here on the West Coast only see what's on the news, I figured I'd hit you all up and get the real story of how it going with Florence.

Bummed for you guys and gals from what I see on the news.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    twowheelmotion from NorCal thread checking in with you guy out there. I've never ridden or even been to NC, but I am dealing with a customer in WNC and he's been off work for about a week now. He doesn't ride or anything, so I can't imagine he is awol riding hero dirt. But being we way out here on the West Coast only see what's on the news, I figured I'd hit you all up and get the real story of how it going with Florence.

Bummed for you guys and gals from what I see on the news.
    WNC didn't get hit that hard. East NC did.

mtbr member
    Good to know! I have been working to get out that way (with my bike) and see my customer. Kind of have the odds working against me with the storm(s) and the fact that he doesn't ride. Not sure how he would take to me leaving to go hit a ride instead of spending every waking minute talking about work.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Good to know! I have been working to get out that way (with my bike) and see my customer. Kind of have the odds working against me with the storm(s) and the fact that he doesn't ride. Not sure how he would take to me leaving to go hit a ride instead of spending every waking minute talking about work.
    You can doo eeet! Super easy to squeeze in a ride if you're in the Asheville/Brevard/Hendersonville areas, with different trails being more accessible depending on exactly where you are. Make it clear your "work-talking hours" are to occur within a specific window because you have goals.

My house just west of Asheville ended up with 2.5" of rain for the whole weekend, which is nothing unusual at all. I rode today at DuPont and some areas were wet, but everything was perfectly rideable. Quite a bit of hero dirt, even.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully the fine folk of NC will a start buying produce again so I can get some business going (I'm in produce transportation) and I can get out there! Thanks for all the replies. Always been a dream to come ride dirt there. Shred til ya dead!! TWM

mtbr member
    At one point that thing was projected to come right through Spartanburg, but we barely got any rain. Maybe an inch.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller