Good freeride location?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Good freeride location?

I live in Atlanta and I'm looking for some new freeride areas a short drive away. Can anyone recommend a few good spots?

Heads up Flyboy!!

Hickory

Quote Originally Posted by lucas
    I live in Atlanta and I'm looking for some new freeride areas a short drive away. Can anyone recommend a few good spots?
    check out www.hickhucksters.com
    This is a local group of freeriders from the Hickory area. I know there is a freeride park there with sky bridges( super narrow, build em sick) and lots of stunts with big hucks. There are also several freeride trails north of the area on 181 but I have yet to check them out myself.

IJR
    I Just Ride

You might try Windrock in Tn

It might be closer to you than Hickory plus they run a shuttle for people that don't like to pedal.

The stuff at the spot in Hickory is great. The first section is kinda flexible ( it was built by a couple of young guys). But they are working to get it more sturdy.

The stuff on down the hill is really well built and will straight pucker you up. There's also a road gap, jumps of all sizes, a wall drop and a 50' double that only three people have done. There's lots of pics on the HH website. Bring your balls and your big bike if you want to do the drops.

The stuff off 181 is a blast. Not many built stunts except on one trail. Most of it is just using natural terrain for jumps and drops and downed trees for skinnies.

If you do come up and ride 181 be prepared to pedal.... A LOT. Most people that don't normally ride with the HH group don't come back because they don't like to pedal. You can shuttle a lot of it, but not if you're riding with them.

If you can get up here on a Friday that's the best time to ride this time of year. Right now the trails are packed on weekends hikers and horses. It will thin out some after it gets hot but right now the weekends are horrible, stopping for hikers ruins your flow.

IJR
    I Just Ride

You might try Windrock in Tn

It might be closer to you than Hickory plus they run a shuttle for people that don't like to pedal.

The stuff at the spot in Hickory is great. The first section is kinda flexible ( it was built by a couple of young guys). But they are working to get it more sturdy.

The stuff on down the hill is really well built and will straight pucker you up. There's also a road gap, jumps of all sizes, a wall drop and a 50' double that only three people have done. There's lots of pics on the HH website. Bring your balls and your big bike if you want to do the drops.

The stuff off 181 is a blast. Not many built stunts except on one trail. Most of it is just using natural terrain for jumps and drops and downed trees for skinnies.

If you do come up and ride 181 be prepared to pedal.... A LOT. Most people that don't normally ride with the HH group don't come back because they don't like to pedal. You can shuttle a lot of it, but not if you're riding with them.

If you can get up here on a Friday that's the best time to ride this time of year. Right now the trails are packed on weekends hikers and horses. It will thin out some after it gets hot but right now the weekends are horrible, stopping for hikers ruins your flow.

Mar 2004

hickory

Thanks for the info - where is Hickory at? I probably should check a map........Have you ridden down in ATL at all?

Quote Originally Posted by IJR

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Yeah I hear hick park is real good. There is also a freeride park going up in NC around Charlotte, there isnt much stuff there yet, but he has a few nice drops and stunts right now. Its called planet Zod, check out Smallbrowndog.com for some more info.

IJR
    I Just Ride

mileage

Lucas,

From ATL to Hickory is 260 miles

From ATL to Oliver Springs Tn (windrock) 209 miles.

I used to live in ATL unitl 3 years ago Mountaintown creek was my favorite ride in N GA

Mar 2004

mountain creek

Where is mountain creek at?

IJR
    I Just Ride

Start at bear creek

climb that, then climb 5 more miles on the gravel road, the entrance to mountaintown creek is on the right. It ends at the gated road about 1/4 mile down from the forest service road you climb to get to the bear creek trailhead. I think it's about a 25 mile loop

Being that it's right off the gravel road you can shuttle it if you want to. IMO its one of the best technical DH's in north GA.

Mar 2004

dh

is the town named bear creek?

IJR
    I Just Ride

Bear creek

Is just north of Ellijay. Go to Cartecay bicycles in Ellijay and ask them about some of the better downhill trails in the area. There are probably 7 or 8 trails within 10 miles of Ellijay that have good downhills, but you have to climb to get them.

Fort Mountain has a good downhill, So does Sumac creek which is almost on the GA / TN border.