globalbike?- Mtbr.com

Thread: globalbike?

Jamin, Applesause, No?

globalbike?

I just read a news article about a non profit company called globalbike. They have a pro team and local clubs, but seem to be roadies.

Anyone here part of their cycling club?

mtbr member
    Go see Eric at Bikeworx. He can tell you all about it. They raise money to buy bikes for people in developing countries. And a bunch of the roadies around here have the whold globalbike kit that they wear every time they ride so you are supposed to think they look cool.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    FYI: Here is another great one -

http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org/
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    And a bunch of the roadies around here have the whold globalbike kit that they wear every time they ride so you are supposed to think they look cool.
    This roadie who wears team kit (not globalbike) would be offended except he knows way too many other roadies who think they look . As if spandex shorts, obnoxiously colored jerseys, dorky bike helmets and walking around all knock-kneed in cleats could make anybody look

I wear mine only to promote the team and company I ride for, as well as the sponsors that contribute.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    FYI: Here is another great one -

http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org/
    M-U-M, you took the words right out of my mouth. Whereas Globalbike and a few others are using the local economies to supply the bikes, which is to be commended, World Bicycle Relief takes it a step further: they work with suppliers up the chain to design better bikes, train local mechanics to build and service them, and in that way build self-sustaining economies at an enormous scale -- more than 72,000 bikes since 2005.

They're also backed by SRAM, Trek and other bike companies, and have taken a leadership role in providing bikes to the "bottom of the pyramid."

Full disclosure: I used to work there. I only left because I needed to get out of Chicago, and I still continue to support WBR in any way I can. Yes, that even means wearing the kit just to look cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0