Fletcher Creek / Spence Branch - creek crossing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fletcher Creek / Spence Branch - creek crossing?

Hi all. I'm planning a ride in the N Mills river area. Been there before but it has been a long time. Ideally I'd like to avoid cold wet feet. Is there a mandatory creek crossing at the junction of Spencer and Fletcher or is there a bridge? If no bridge, how deep is the crossing usually?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There's a creek crossing at the junction. The creek crossing coming down Fletcher Creek can be a bit deep at times and if you don't hit it right can lead to dabbing a foot in the cold water; or worse. You only have to do that crossing if you want to continue on Fletcher Creek. If you turn right on Middle Fork trail and head about 50 yards up you can cross the creek at a much shallower point and continue down Spencer Branch, BUT you have to wade across the creek on down towards the reservoir. All bridges across Fletcher creek were washed out years ago.

The only way to guarantee that you'll stay dry is to ride down the upper part of Spencer Branch from the Neverending Rd. and take a left on Fletcher Creek at the junction. That only makes for an 8 mile ride however. If you choose this option you might want to consider the climb up Spencer Gap trail to add some miles; just be careful on the descent to the Neverending road. Its a bit hairy at the top off of Trace Ridge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I think I'll save this for warmer weather, as I was hoping to go up FS 5000 > down Trace > up Neverending > down Spencer > up Middle Fork > R on Neverending > down Fletcher to the parking lot. I believe that has at least two crossings if there are no bridges.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are multiple creek crossings on that route, but the only real deep one is at the Fletcher Creek, Spencer Branch, Middle Fork junction which you would have to cross twice on that route. All the other crossings aren't that difficult. Still wet feet make for a miserable ride in the cold.

Slow, Fat and Old
    Aug 2008
    I got me a pair of these for Christmas. I don't have to worry about creek crossings any more

Best $180 I ever got someone else to spend for me!

Members who have read this thread: 0