Fish'n for travel info...- Mtbr.com
    They say I have a problem

Fish'n for travel info...

Hi there,

Not sure if you remember or not, but I posted earlier on this year about coming down to the Pisgah area of North Carolina, in late August, for my honeymoon. Everyone here was a wealth of info and got me hooked up with links to trail maps and accomodations.

Well all the bosses are out at a golf tournament so now is good time to fish for some more info. I need to know what bike shops to hit and which to skip. I've found a nice site which lists all the shops, but no ratings of course. We'll be coming down from Ontario, Canada, so we will be looking for some deals.

Oh yea....How do you pronounce "Pisgah"?? Don't want to sound like a fool when I say it *laugh*...

I'll be looking for more detailed trail info when the time gets closer....

Our first step is to reserve the hotel and right now we're looking at 5 nights in the luxurious Super8 by Biltmore plaza...Hey we know it's all about the riding...

Then we will head up to Fontana and stay at the Lakeview Retreat for a weekend of riding at Tsali...That will make the new wife happy...

It's then off to Tennessee to ride the Tanasi and Chilhowee trails for a 3 days and then back home...

Yes sir!! Come on August...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For the Davidson River Area, there are two bike shops, one is a larger place and highly visible from the main intersection, they are "something" outfitters, the other is right accross the street, but not as easily spotted. They are Sycamore Cycles.

I've heard GREAT things about both, but my personal experience has been good at Sycamore, and not so great with the other one (mechanic did not know how to bleed hydro breaks, ended up having me do most of it, charged me half price for the labor, and full price for the brake pads that I had to replace because he did not know to take them out before bleeding oil all over them....).

Closer to Bent Creek is Carolina Fatz, and they are right on the road there, and have a great reputation. I don't know who rents what, but my experience is that maybe you should bring your bike.

You mention that you are staying way up by Biltmore? I think that is a bit out of the way, you might check something out down near Brevard, as that is where the trails are.... You'll be semi-close to Bent Creek, but could be closer, but will be a good 30+ minutes from Davidson River (the more Pisgah-esque) trails and DuPont. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Brevard that is decent, and not too expensive, I think they let you bring your bike in the room too.....

Another option, if you want to stay inside Asheville would be to stay closer to downtown, there is a lot of cool things to do there, I supsect MUM or Hollis can tell more about that.

BTW: Piss-Gahhhhhhhhhhh (the G is somehere between a G and a K, after you do the long downhills, the "ahhhhhhhh" becomes very drawn out and your face has a huge grin on it

Have fun.

I realize the trails are a bit of drive, but we wanted to be close to Asheville for the after-ride stuff. We're thinking that our location is kind of part way from everything. Not to mention we can't beat the price of the Super8. We're also use to driving for 30-40 minutes to ride trails when we do decide to drive. At home in Ontario we have the benifit of having some pretty good trails within a 10 minute bike ride. That makes for a good warm-up before the fun trail stuff begins.

Thanks,
    Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, sounds like you got a plan going.

PS: I like your autosignature. Since you are form Canada, I'll assume that is a Neil Peart Quote, not W. Shakespere

Yes sir...

Funny thing is Rush is finishing their 30th anniversary tour in Toronto, their hometown, and my stomping ground...The show date...August 22nd...Wedding date August 21st...Honeymoon starts on the 22nd...So I got the choice of postponing the honeymoon by a day, but that cuts into the ride time...So guess what wins out...The honeymoon...

Rich

I like Squishy Bikes

My 2 cents

I think the Super 8 is the way to go,
    if you aren't into camping.
    You'll be 45 minutes from Pisgah/DuPont & 1.5 hrs to Tsali,
    and downtown Asheville is only 15 minutes away.
    Bent Creek is a good warm up to prepare you for the epic rides at Pizz-Guh

Top 3 bike shops in the area

Jason @ Carolina Fatz (828. 665.7744)
    should be able to take care of you
    and its closest to your hotel.
    He sells Santa Cruz, Intense, Khs, & Giant.

Matt & Eric @ Bio-Wheels (828.232.0300).
    Downtown Asheville, they sell Ellsworths & Jamis bikes.

Mike & Claudia @ Liberty (828.274.2453)
    (10 miles further down the Blue Ridge Pkwy)
    they sell Specialized & Turners.

A dirty book is rarely dusty

The plan was to ride Bent Creek the first day to wet our appetites and to air out the legs after being in a car for 12 hours the day before. After that the real epic rides would start and we'll need the help of the locals and the bike shops to pick the best rides...

Rich

Slow Guy

Restaurants to try

Be sure when you are in town to try out some of the local flavor...

My favorites:

1) Tupelo Honey: Charleston-style takes on Southern cooking. Delicious.

2) Salsa's: California-style latin food. Light and delicious.

3) Barley's Tap Room: Lotsa beer and the best pizza I have had.

Element
    mmm.....dirt