Fish Hatchery Epic- Mtbr.com
    Heads up Flyboy!!

Fish Hatchery Epic

Although I don't have this one posted yet on the site I will be doing the Fish Hatchery Epic this weekend. This would be a great intro to Epic ridin as there are a few bail outs. Please keep in mind you still need at least 30 miles of Pisgah in you. This would include Caney Bottoms, Daniels Ridge, The Sumney Cove Loop( which is a climb up FS 229, to 140 A, to 5031, to 140, down Sumney Cove, 215 back to 140 to 140 A to 5003), then on to Butter Gap and the Lower Cat Gap loop to the Hatchery. Start at the Fish Hatchery at 9am on Saturday.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    The Sumney Cove Loop( which is a climb up FS 229, to 140 A, to 5031, to 140, down Sumney Cove, 215 back to 140 to 140 A to 5003),

Jeremy
    That's a new one on me. How does that parse out singletrack vs. gravel? I'm lost...after you climb 475A, which direction do you go at Glouster Gap? What is the road number of Kathy's Creek Road?

Thanks for the invite...I may see if I can drag my a$$ out of bed and make it from Greenville by 9.

white boy extraordinaire

I'll try my best to be there

Jeremy,

I know I let you down in the past. But I should be there. That is one of my favorite areas but it seems you are going on some stuff I haven't conquered ( or hasn't conquered me)just yet.

See ya,

Corey

Heads up Flyboy!!

This ride is canceled but have another

Guys,

sorry to let those of you down who were planning to do this with me but, I got a last minute email from some buds from Atlanta who want to do a big loop with Farlow at the end, trees or not. So if you want to do a big epic 35 + miles instead that includes Flat Creek, Invester Gap( both pushing 5,000 ft in elevation), the seldom ridden Sumney Cove and Kinensee Creek Road( 5031, I believe), Farlow Gap, Butter Gap and Lower Cat Gap back to the Hatchery then give me a email at [email protected] so I can let you know the plans. Keep in mind this ride has about 3/4 mile or so of hike a bike. Got to face it for a big ride in Pisgah. I will probably camp Friday night near Davidson River( not confirmed yet) and drink a few beers the night before.

Jeremy

Heads up Flyboy!!

Ride completed

Alright with a very late start of 11am my friends from Atlanta and myself completed my Flat Creek Epic. This ride is by no means what the title inplys as there is some serious elevation gain. Due to my buds late arrival we had to cut out Ivester Gap which is about 6 miles of this ride. We still ended up riding 35 miles and got back just before dark at 6:40 for 7 hrs and 40 mins which includes a few mechanicals and food breaks. A bit longer then I usually like to take but hey, it was a great time. We ended the ride on Farlow Gap and I'm wondering where all these trees are down. There was a few on the regular downed trees that you could hop over or duck under and maybe one new tree that you have to get off and walk over but that was it. I'm really gonna miss this trail in May!

mtbr member

pics from the advance party

Neither my camera nor my photography skills could suck much more, but here are a couple of shots from the abbreviated Fish Hathery Ride

The first is on Seinard Ridge, the second shows that good hygiene is important, and the third is the rock that marks the Farlow Gap trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where do you hook up Sienard Ridge? I hooked up Caney to Daniel Ridge and then on over to Butter Gap and was going to tack Sienard Ridge onto the Caney Bottom, but unsure where this is normally done. Oh ya, if cmweldon is checking this thread, it was cool to meet ya dude.

white boy extraordinaire
    Punker, thanks for hangin around for me. I would have gone straight home but that last bit was worth it. Take it easy.

Mar 2004
    Thanks to Jeremy, my friends and I from Atlanta road some incredible single track with some awesome downhills that included some great technical rock gardens and spectacular waterfalls. The hike a bike sections were definitely tough but worth the effort to get to those downhills. We appreciate Jeremy taking the time to show us the trails and look forward to meeting up again in April. Oh, yeah the 40+ mph downhill on the road ride section was a scream.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Normally, we add miles to a Caney bottom,etc. ride by continuing on 475b past 229 for several miles. Seinard Ridge comes into 475 from the left...I think there's some kind of large sign there, but I can't remember for what. There's also a way to hook into Seinard halfway along from 475. Anyhow, Seinard then runs down (past two waterfalls) almost to the intersection of 229 and Caney Bottom. But, as I discovered Sat., there's a grassy road off to your right going that direction that then hooks left onto UPHILL singletrack which is Seinard up to the Parkway. It is officially closed to bikes, but Jeremy says it's semi-OK-to-ride since you're carrying your bike most of the way anyhow. The other part of Seinard that hits 475 is legal. If this doesn't make sense, check your map, it's pretty clear.

Were you with the Biowheels group we talked to?

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Normally, we add miles to a Caney bottom,etc. ride by continuing on 475b past 229 for several miles. Seinard Ridge comes into 475 from the left...I think there's some kind of large sign there, but I can't remember for what. There's also a way to hook into Seinard halfway along from 475. Anyhow, Seinard then runs down (past two waterfalls) almost to the intersection of 229 and Caney Bottom. But, as I discovered Sat., there's a grassy road off to your right going that direction that then hooks left onto UPHILL singletrack which is Seinard up to the Parkway. It is officially closed to bikes, but Jeremy says it's semi-OK-to-ride since you're carrying your bike most of the way anyhow. The other part of Seinard that hits 475 is legal. If this doesn't make sense, check your map, it's pretty clear.

Were you with the Biowheels group we talked to?

No, there were 4 of us from Atlanta that drove up on Saturday to met Jeremy. I think we just missed that group. Coming back in April and possibly could try the trails you mentioned.

Heads up Flyboy!!

section closed

[QUOTE=litespeedchick]Anyhow, Seinard then runs down (past two waterfalls) almost to the intersection of 229 and Caney Bottom. But, as I discovered Sat., there's a grassy road off to your right going that direction that then hooks left onto UPHILL singletrack which is Seinard up to the Parkway. It is officially closed to bikes, but Jeremy says it's semi-OK-to-ride since you're carrying your bike most of the way anyhow.
    QUOTE]

The grassy road portion to my understanding is legal, all the singletrack to the parkway must be hike a biked on Senaird.

Jeremy