First time riding Tsali, what to expect- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

First time riding Tsali, what to expect

Hoping someone here can help me out. I am planning on riding tsali in a few days. I have never been there before, but am planning on hitting the right/left loops. What should I expect? Anyone know what the trail conditions are like now?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Fun trail. Very non-technical and the few climbs aren't too bad. I haven't been there in years since I have to pass Pisgah and Dupont to get there and never can seem to bring myself to do that. I don't know anything about the current conditions, but the rest of WNC has been pretty dry for the past couple of weeks. For some more fun, drive 30 minutes west to Fontana Village. They have about 10 miles of trail there. Get a map from the guy in the bike shop.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Two wheels are best
    Fun trails, for sure. Mostly rolling, side hill trails. Nothing like the climb, climb, climb...descend of places like Pisgah. Unless you're in above average condition, there's still enough climbing to make you breathe pretty heavy.

Remember, Tsali trails can be ridden in BOTH directions so, slow down and watch for riders coming from the other direction when coming through the many blind/semi-blind corners.

Perhaps you can report back after your ride and let us know the condition of the trails?
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the info.

I have heard that the correct direction is counter-clockwise on both loops?

Are there any sections of the trail that are really technical or is it all kind of two track`ish?

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    If you want to ride the right and left loops make sure you go there the day that they are open to bikes. They alternate days with Mouse and Thompson on the other side. They days are always the same but it's been so long since I've been there I really don't remember which days are which.

Not really technical but sweet skinny singletrack in some places! You'll have fun I love riding there I just haven't gotten out there this year yet. Bring water if you bike with your dog... I tried to kill mine on Thompson the first time I went there........
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Two wheels are best
    The official "suggested" direction is clockwise on Left and counter clockwise on Right. That is only the suggested direction, however. They can be ridden in either direction.

We like to ride Left CCW and then, when we get to the intersection of Right/Left/County Line Rd, we take Right and do it CW. It just seems to flow better. There is one evil little climb toward the end of Right loop going this way. It's short bit steep and very rutted.

Nothing that really technical. There are spots where you can bust your butt if you aren't paying attention, however. There's a section on Left where you ride over a couple of sections of rocks that can get the pucker factor up the first time you ride it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love Pisgah
    The forest service just cut out any and all the fallen trees last week. The trails are in great shape currently, fwiw. The best climb there to me is the main overlook loop(on the Left/Right loops) going CCW. The last section up top..and the left hand switchback down low are the best sections. My goal is always clean it all the way up in the middlering. Not much fun when its raining during the SERC race tho...

This was recently left with the lower branches cut away. Kinda of a tunnel effect now(Thompson).

The same spot the above pic( DM-SC) was taken at.

Miles and miles of contour line stuff like this.

Fontana ...jus down da road. Confusing tho if your not familiar with it.

Last edited by Duckman; 04-30-2009 at 07:39 AM.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    This Tasli video is one of the best XC videos I've seen;

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/entry.php?fid=126

He also posted a ton of pics too.
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    On a weekend.....a large crowd.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    On a weekend.....a large crowd.

You bet it is. Sometimes its amazing how crowded it can get. You see all type too. Comfort bikes. Racers. Countless loose dogs. Turkey hunters(you'll see hunters on the horse only side during hunting seasons). Whatever. So much that I don't ride there on Sat or Sun..unless its winter or super early(then yak the nanty that afternoon).

Edit:late afternoon is good too on the WE.
    Last edited by Duckman; 04-30-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    What should I expect?

thanks!

Head on collisions, angry equestrians, overflowing parking lot, crowded trails, pretty scenery, A rock garden...

Did I miss anything?

If you're bored go check out the trails at Fontana Village nearby. Much more betterness.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Head on collisions, angry equestrians, overflowing parking lot, crowded trails, pretty scenery, A rock garden...

Did I miss anything?

If you're bored go check out the trails at Fontana Village nearby. Much more betterness.
    That pretty much sums it up. Although I wouldn't so much call it a rock garden. More like a rock planter box. Maybe a window planter rock garden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Multiple mud bogs secondary to the trails not being maintained well. The first 3.5 miles of the Left loop are a disgrace considering Tsali is the grand daddy of WNC mountain biking. The right loops is just as bad towards the end of the trail at the junction of the overlook and left loops. Tsali needs some serious work in the sustainablility department as this is an IMBA Epic ride that sees tons of use. I'm willing to pitch in even if it means a 3 hr drive to get there. This is not the trail that I first rode back in 1994.

Mouse Branch and Thompson loops are better off but they could use some work as well.

Two wheels are best
    I've been riding at Tsali since 1997. Though I'm sure the "Head on collisions" and run in's with "angry equestrians" do happen now and then...they are rare. I've had neither (knocking on my wood desk!) happen to me so far. Plenty of "overflowing parking lot" on Sat. and Sun. starting around 9:00 - 10:10am through mid-afternoon. Do the trails need a lot of work? Yep. We went over this with Scott Hass last year. Woody contacted him and let him know we were all wondering exactly where all the fee money was going. They've done a better job of clearing trees since then but, still no real work on the trails.

mtbr member
    We were there for a few days last week. Hopefully, the multiple downed trees are now history as alluded to above. Several trail runners were out, so heads up. The usual mud pits (I consider them deeper than your usual holes) were full to the brim unlike late summer last year when they were almost diried up, which is rare. Had LOTS of people slipping down to use the campground showers to clean up. To those who go for the first time, don't forget your $2.00 rider fee! I've seen whole group say "gee whiz we didn't know we HAD to pay". Those fees pay for dividends for us. I failed to get a pic of the new people shower at the Bike Wash station, AKA our $2.00 fee at work. Otherwise, very nice conditions.

The longer the ride - the better the pain

banned

the fee is optional

Quote Originally Posted by Cycling_Chick
    We were there for a few days last week. Hopefully, the multiple downed trees are now history as alluded to above. Several trail runners were out, so heads up. The usual mud pits (I consider them deeper than your usual holes) were full to the brim unlike late summer last year when they were almost diried up, which is rare. Had LOTS of people slipping down to use the campground showers to clean up. To those who go for the first time, don't forget your $2.00 rider fee! I've seen whole group say "gee whiz we didn't know we HAD to pay". Those fees pay for dividends for us. I failed to get a pic of the new people shower at the Bike Wash station, AKA our $2.00 fee at work. Otherwise, very nice conditions.
    I recommend paying the fee but it isn't mandatory.

banned
    Duckman, you gotta stop posting pics of those ti bars, you know I wants'em.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I recommend paying the fee but it isn't mandatory.
    According to the official Tsali brochure, the fee is required.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...i_brochure.pdf

It doesn't state what the fine/punishment would be IF you were found to be riding the trails and have not paid the fee.

I love Pisgah
    Duckman, you gotta stop posting pics of those ti bars, you know I wants'em.

lol ..sorry man. I forgot.

Fwiw, its pouring here right now(I'm aprox 6-8 miles away from Tsali as the crow flies. ..about the same towards Fontana). Good thing I'm racing down in Winder Ga(Yargo 12hr) tomorrow . Looks alot drier, hopefully. Heading down that way currently.

mtbr member
    Not sure WHAT the fine is for not paying the 2.00 fee, but as stated above it is mandatory and has helped pay for several things over the years. Enjoy the trails
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

pronounced may-duh
    Two Dollars!!!

banned
    have them write you a ticket then.

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/use_fees.html

the fee was a 3 year pilot program that was never made permanent. I recommend paying it because it helps maintain things out there but it AINT mandatory.
    Last edited by cruso414; 05-01-2009 at 10:02 AM.

banned
    hey Maida, are you doing 12hrs of Tsali? Looks like me and moto are doing it with your president if I can handle 2 races in 2 weekends in a row.

pronounced may-duh
    No racing for me but I will be at Tsali that weekend with a bike gathering. Were camping at Tumbling Water. It's part of the Epic trips we are doing this year. Here is a link to TORC's info page about it. Tsali / Tanasi epic trip.

What's the weekend before? Sumter Metric? That should be a fun one. I've never ridden that area but from what I've heard it's a fast course. Like the Fletcher Flyer on dirt.

banned
    I am planning on doing the Tsali but I just realized that it's on memorial day. I better ask mommy what the plan is for that weekend.

Two wheels are best
    have them write you a ticket then.

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/use_fees.html

the fee was a 3 year pilot program that was never made permanent. I recommend paying it because it helps maintain things out there but it AINT mandatory.
    Not to belabor the issue but, your linked article is old information...as in over a decade old.

I suggest you give Scott Hass a call:

Scott Haas
    Operations Assistant Ranger
    Nantahala National Forest/Cheoah RD
    (828) 479-6431 ext. 4102 (Voice)
    (828) 479-6784 (Fax)

Edited to add:

Check the Tsali section of the 2009 Carolina Connections Trail Guide that is an official US Forest Service publication. It list both camping and trail use fees.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...ections_09.pdf

banned

my bad...

Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Not to belabor the issue but, your linked article is old information...as in over a decade old.

I suggest you give Scott Hass a call:

Scott Haas
    Operations Assistant Ranger
    Nantahala National Forest/Cheoah RD
    (828) 479-6431 ext. 4102 (Voice)
    (828) 479-6784 (Fax)

Edited to add:

Check the Tsali section of the 2009 Carolina Connections Trail Guide that is an official US Forest Service publication. It list both camping and trail use fees.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...ections_09.pdf
    as of 2004 the fees were made permanent. The $2.00 goes directly to the tsali facilities but the if you get the $100 fine, the money goes to the department of justice.

The riding at wilson's creek just gets better every day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all the responses. We didnt make it down there today. Woke up this morning and it was pouring rain. So we decided not to make the 1.5 hour drive. Heading back home tomorrow, so I guess Tsali will have to wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Tsali Tsucks

banned
    agreed. I used to love Tsali but it's kinda like bent creek now.dull.

Members who have read this thread: 0