Favorite lesser known Dupont trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Favorite lesser known Dupont trails

I think I have ridden the most popular ridden Dupont trails. What are some of your favorite more obscure trails in the forest? Which direction do you like to ride them?

mtbr member

Cannon Creek...

...see this route: Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive Burnt Mountain the Long Way (Revised)

And I need to update the route to include Cascade Trail...

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That looks like a fun route. I will check it out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    There are some really fun trails off of Joanna Rd. that don't see much use. Grassy Creek and Twin Oaks are 2 of them that come to mind. Twin Oaks has a really fun downhill.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if it's exactly obscure or not, but Rocky Ridge is worth the gravel road climb. Combine it with the push up/ride down (with nice views at the top) of Stone Mountain and those two are a good way to get the blood flowing before cutting over to Ridgeline, etc.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

the other white meat
    All of the above suggestions are great. I would like to add: Take Twin Oaks Trail to often overlooked Briery Fork Trail and make a right. Make another right at Joanna Rd., and bear left at Grassy Meadow Trail. Climb back to Joanna Rd. and make still another right back onto Joanna Rd. and down to Grassy Creek Trail. You get a couple of stream crossings, some great downhill, and since the Grassy Creek re-route, some of the more "techy" stuff in Dupont.
    "The wire is life, everything else is waiting"
    Karl Wallenda

mtbr member

Try this one...

...from the PAS site: Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive To Briery and Back It covers lots of favorites, but picks up some of the lesser-used stuff like Twin Oaks and Briery. I need to update it (story of my life) to include Hilltop--at milepoint 2.38 go straight across Lake Imaging to pick up Hilltop, which dumps you back on Imaging about a mile later (turn right onto Imaging)... That screws up your mileages for all the rest of the turns, but Hilltop is a 'don't miss' trail...

Or try this one, similar but opposite direction on most legs. Also omits Hilltop, which you would pick up just after the L onto Imaging at mile 10.73--look for the L into Grassy Falls, then immediately R onto Hilltop. At the end of Hilltop, straight across Imaging to pick up Locust and you're back on course.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    The top of Cannon Creek Trail. About the only narrow trail in DuPont. Unfortunately, it's not easy to work into a loop.

Members who have read this thread: 0