Fats trail system south carolina- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Fats trail system south carolina

New to the forum and new to mountain biking. Experienced roadie but only about 100 miles of trail riding the last month and all on hiking trails that I assume would be rated very easy.

I have no actual MTB trails near me but about 3 hours away is the Forks Area Trail System. I have read everything I can find on it and called the USFS Ranger and got some info but he was not a mountain bike rider and I have a few more questions.

Anyone out there familiar with the FATS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinsail View Post
    New to the forum and new to mountain biking. Experienced roadie but only about 100 miles of trail riding the last month and all on hiking trails that I assume would be rated very easy.

I have no actual MTB trails near me but about 3 hours away is the Forks Area Trail System. I have read everything I can find on it and called the USFS Ranger and got some info but he was not a mountain bike rider and I have a few more questions.

This is probably the perfect trail system for somebody with your riding background. Endless fun, perfect to put the hammer down, but nothing technically over-the-top. Totally worth a 3 hour road trip and there's lots of other riding nearby, if you like to camp there's lots of good nearby options.

SORBA-CSRA: Home

mtbr member

What Mike said.

You're in SC, and 3 hours away from FATS, but no other trails near you? Are you on the coast? That doesn't sound right.

Take a look on https://www.mtbproject.com. There's gotta be something close to you.

mtbr member
    Also, now is the perfect time of year to hit FATS because of the cooler temperatures. That area can be brutal in the summer. Hunting is permitting, and probably in effect currently, so be aware of that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you very much guys.

I am in Bluffton SC on the coast but that Website Timothy gave me already came up with a close singletrack in Savannah, GA, which is close. I need to spend some time on that site and see what is around.

I don't know any MTB riders and ride alone and I am an old guy with poor computer skills so I suspect there is a lot more available than I have found.

I am curious whether anyone knows of a MTB guide service that might be near FATS. I did not find one yet on my own and am thinking a guide might be a good idea for my first time on a purpose built MTB trail in the middle of a National Forest.

mtbr member
    It's a small system, but I also really enjoy riding the trails on Hunting Island. Rattlesnake behind the visitors center is actually challenging with steep ups/downs, some rocks/roots, etc. The rest is easy pedaling, but where else do you get to do easy pedaling through palmettos along a coastal lagoon? Plus, the surf at Hunting may not be great, but it's still surf.

mtbr member
    Two other options are Harbison in Columbia and Poinsette state park in Wedgefield. Those two are about 2 hours away from you. There are some small options in Myrtle beach and in North Charleston but nothing I would go out of my way to drive to. I personally would not drive 3 hours to hit FATS either.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I am curious whether anyone knows of a MTB guide service that might be near FATS. I did not find one yet on my own and am thinking a guide might be a good idea for my first time on a purpose built MTB trail in the middle of a National Forest.
    One other feature of MTBProject.com is that if you use the app on your phone it will let you see where you are on the map. When you are riding a new area that can really be help to keep you on track. Try it when you are on a trail you know first to make sure you're comfortable with that before you head to a new trail.

I've only ridden FATS a couple of times, but I didn't have trouble with navigation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Amazing, I used to go fishing at Hunting Island. I didn't know it had trails. Its only about 50 minutes from me. I will be checking that out soon. Thank you.

I also have to try that phone app. I would like to know how to use that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I live about 15 minutes from FATS. I'm sure I could answer any of your questions. Feel free to PM me or let me know what info you need. Heck, I would be happy to show you around FATS.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    That is very generous of you Eric. I sent you a PM.