FATS bike choice?

Printable View

• 04-18-2011
    jscusmcvet
    FATS bike choice?
    I am headed to FATS for the first time in mid May. Any recommendations on bike shoice? I have 3 hardtails: Short travel single speed with xc geo; 4in xc geo (3x10); long travel steel with slack HA.

From video trails look mostly smooth and flowy, which makes me lean towards singlespeed or the 4" XC 3x10.

Thoughts?

John
  • 04-19-2011
    nitrousjunky
    FATS is a blast on a single speed! :thumbsup:

So I guess it really depends on your fitness level, but I'd bring either the SS or the XC FS. Really no need for long travel there.
  • 04-19-2011
    mikeridesabike
    You could probably ride it on a cyclo cross bike.
  • 04-19-2011
    Maida7
    or a BMX bike
  • 04-19-2011
    runbuddha
    Plus one for the single speed.
  • 04-19-2011
    spankye
    More important than bike choice is bringing lots of water, bug spray, and sunscreen that time of year. i used to live in columbia, sc and it will be HOT that time of year down there. having said that, leave the LT hardtail at home.
  • 04-20-2011
    jscusmcvet
    Thanks guys,

As of this moment, I am planning on bringing the singlespeed. I am aware of the heat, bugs, etc... since I live just over the NC/SC border :-)

Is there any convenient camping near the trailhead?
  • 04-20-2011
    Maida7
    There is a primative camp at the trailhead. You need to contact the rangers for a use permit to camp at the trailhead.

OR

Camp at Petersburg campground. It's about 15 min drive from FATS. Hot showers and giant sized gravel campsites. Also, direct access to the Bartram Trail. Bartram is not quite as fun as FATS but it's worth a spin.
  • 05-08-2011
    jscusmcvet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maida7
    There is a primative camp at the trailhead. You need to contact the rangers for a use permit to camp at the trailhead.

OR

Camp at Petersburg campground. It's about 15 min drive from FATS. Hot showers and giant sized gravel campsites. Also, direct access to the Bartram Trail. Bartram is not quite as fun as FATS but it's worth a spin.

Primitive camping is perfect. Do you know the consct info for the ranger station?

Thanks,

John
  • 05-09-2011
    wooglin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    Primitive camping is perfect. Do you know the consct info for the ranger station?

Thanks,

John

Call the Long Cane District office for a permit: 803-637-5396. Give them a few days to get it to you in the mail. Tell them you want to primitive camp at the old Forks Campground. The Forks campground and the FATS south trailhead are the same place.
  • 05-09-2011
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    Thanks guys,

As of this moment, I am planning on bringing the singlespeed. I am aware of the heat, bugs, etc... since I live just over the NC/SC border :-)

Is there any convenient camping near the trailhead?

I rode there for the first time last week, took my 29er SS 32x20 which is what I ride in the RDU area for all trails including ORC area. I got 25 miles in nursing the end of a flu and it was good gearing for that state of affairs. Glad I didn't gear tougher. I did everything but Great Wall and Brown Wave (had saved them for last but legs had had it). Rode all trails CCW which I read was the most fun and I'd have a hard time I think going the other direction for some of the climbs.

If I compared FATS to anything I've ridden I'd say the 25 miles I rode had the climbing of Dark Mountain (in both style and total elevation) but the technicality of Harris Lake/Crabtree. I literally counted 5 log crossing in 25 miles, very few rocks, lots of flow, very few wet spots. .

What Warrior Creek is to berms, FATS is to whoodedoos. I felt like I climbed 30% of the time but descended for 70%, can only attribute it to the whoopdedoos which were great descending but annoying climbing SS mile after mile given the power spikes. Had I been fully healthy or rode in anything but the heat of the day I may have had an easier time of it.

Great trails, no bugs (although the cicadas were LOUD), interesting scenery in some parts (controlled burn covered in newly dropped pine needles for about 6 miles). Also very well marked with exception of road/gravel linkage from lower to upper section, but figured it out pretty quickly. You should have a blast making a full day or more if it.
  • 05-10-2011
    seenvic
    The cicadas are gone. Noticed it last night.
  • 05-10-2011
    wooglin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seenvic
    The cicadas are gone. Noticed it last night.

Bummer. Was out there Friday while passing through. That was the loudest I think I've ever heard them. The sound hit like a wall.

Good visibility after the burn.

• 05-13-2011
    seenvic
    I heard cicadas again this morning, so they aren't completely gone.
  • 05-16-2011
    Jwind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seenvic
    I heard cicadas again this morning, so they aren't completely gone.

Gone? They don't really really show up till July over here in Columbia?