FATS advice and questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FATS advice and questions

I'm thinking about riding FATS on Saturday and have a few questions.

I want to do around 20 miles so it seems like the three southeastern loops, Brown Wave, Skinny, and Great Wall are the right combination of distances. As this is my first time here, would that be a good choice? I'd hate to show up and miss the "one great trail you HAVE to ride" when coming to FATS.

Second, does the trail close in the rain? Looks like a 50% chance of rain Fri-Sun. My local trails (NE Atlanta) close when it rains but only after long periods of heavy rain. I'm hoping FATS is the same.

Finally, how is it for SS? I only ride my SS a few times a months but I heard this trail network was perfect for SS. I normally wouldn't ride my SS on my first time on a trail but if this is really SS heaven, I'd consider it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I did that combination of trails on Monday (Great Wall, Skinny and Brown Wave) and it totaled 19.9 miles on my setup. I think you'll like that combination and my favorite of those three is Great Wall. It just seems to have a bit of everything in a singletrack ride.

If you're on Twitter follow them at Fatsupdate. It it super dry and sandy right now. The forecast for the rest of this week and weekend is typical 40-50% chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon pretty much everyday. Even if it rains some the ground will soak it right up unless its a torrential downpour.

Can't help with the SS but I've seen tons of them and hardtails out there. FATS is perfect for just about any setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am a local and ride my rigid ss about 1/3 of the time (other bike is a HT). Great trail system IMO for ss. Great Wall, Skinny and Brown Wave are a fine choice, one that I do quite regularly. If you like climbing connecting Deep Step, Big Rock and Tower is fun. All 6 loops offer their own "flavor" so any combination will make a good ride. Great Wall is my personal favorite.

We have had some afternoon/evening hit or miss storms in the area. However it is really dry out there. If you do get here and the trails are to wet there you could check out Modoc, Turkey Creek, Wine Creek or keg Creek. All those are relatively decent when wet.

mtbr member

FATS advice and questions

Thanks. I do like climbing so should I focus on the northwestern trails instead of brown wave and Great Wall?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    just plan on riding all six unless you are coming back soon. it's been a couple of years since i was in the area, and i am itching bad. the climbing isn't bad, it's just a lot of spinning.

mtbr member
    And watch out for gay rednecks in camo.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    May be a little too warm for the gay rednecks in camo this week. Highs above 97 here in Anderson everyday so far. Did get a shower today that cooled things off. Have fun and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    First time out I would stick with Great Wall, Skinny, and Brown Wave (all ccw) If you decide to do all the loops hit the three northern loops first, stop at the main lot to refuel then continue. There is really nothing difficult/technical about the trails, they just flow really good and speed can catch up and bite you. Have a great ride.