Farlow Sunday- Mtbr.com

Thread: Farlow Sunday

banned

Farlow Sunday

I think its time for another crack at the dreaded Farlow and I really like the section of Daniel ridge that it drops you out on.What do you think Yetirider you up for it? Onepie can you get a pass for riding 2 days in a row? Maida shift your day to Sunday.

Asheville YetiRider

I hear Farlow calling the Yeti

Man, of all the trails in Pisgah. Farlow? It's an epic climb just getting to it. Even if I have any energy left once I get to the top All I get to look forward to is a good chance of a scratched frame and bloody skin. That's only after the first 10 feet down. Then I get to hold my bike back from rolling down while stepping on human skulls on this killer down hill.
    COUNT ME IN. I CAN'T WAIT. SOUNDS LIKE A TON OF FUN. MORE PAIN THE BETTER. Name the time and place. Do you think we will have time to do it twice?
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

Official Cooler Inspector
    "stepping on human skulls"

Thanks, I needed that....
    Your SO Lisa? After all the rain - I see a yard sale on the trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    I think its time for another crack at the dreaded Farlow and I really like the section of Daniel ridge that it drops you out on.What do you think Yetirider you up for it? Onepie can you get a pass for riding 2 days in a row? Maida shift your day to Sunday.
    You know you've got to go up some damn steep gravel road to get the top of Farlow don't you? I know a shortcut around the backside of Pilot

If you don't go early I can escape to woods, I'm stuck in church until at least 1PM.
    many gears, some pies

When did you get here?!?!
    What time at the Fish Hatchery? I'll go if we take that shortcut...
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

pronounced may-duh
    Sounds awesome but I can't make it. I'll be in DuPont tomorrow morning. 10:00AM at Buck Forest.

banned

New question here. Fish Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    What time at the Fish Hatchery? I'll go if we take that shortcut...
    Fish Hatchery??? We are gonna shuttle to the gate at the end of 229, I'm not to sure about this pedaling thing.

Eric I don't think you have ever ridden Farlow...........if you had you would not have sent us up it backwards at 1am

banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2nd time around

Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    You know you've got to go up some damn steep gravel road to get the top of Farlow don't you? I know a shortcut around the backside of Pilot

If you don't go early I can escape to woods, I'm stuck in church until at least 1PM.

1 pm thats about the time we will be riding summey cove just meet us at 215 and 140 and we will ride around behind pilot mtn until we find Farlow or flat out or run out of water

drunken pirate
    Sounds fun. What time at the Hatchery?

I like shortcuts.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Fish Hatchery??? We are gonna shuttle to the gate at the end of 229, I'm not to sure about this pedaling thing.

Eric I don't think you have ever ridden Farlow...........if you had you would not have sent us up it backwards at 1am
    Shuttle? I was up at Gloucester last week and 229 was still gated at the bottom. They did have the motor-grader on 471 so maybe they've opened it since, but I doubt it with the amount of rain we've had. I'll check it out on Saturday, but my guess is you got to pay to play on Farlow this weekend.
    many gears, some pies

banned
    ALLLLLrighty then 9 am is the official unofficial start time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Sounds awesome but I can't make it. I'll be in DuPont tomorrow morning. 10:00AM at Buck Forest.

How far are you planning on riding?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I'll be somewhere thinking about being in the woods @ 9AM. Make it 1PM and I'll see you there.
    many gears, some pies

Its got what plants crave
    Can somebody give me Cliff Notes on the shortcut from Pilot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Can somebody give me Cliff Notes on the shortcut from Pilot?
    The joke is it ain't so short..... you either love it (I do) or cuss it. It is some beautiful woods for sure.

From Gloucester Gap head out FR 475 towards Balsam Grove about 20 yards or so and there's a gated road to the right. That's 5003, keep on 5003 for about 3 miles and you will come to an T where 140A intersects. 5003 is lots of short ups with some shorter downs thrown in, but basically it's a climb. To the left is steep downhill to 140 (Courthouse Falls Rd), to the right you are on 140A. That goes on (UP!) for another 3 miles or so until it splits - to the left is 5031 (Kissee Creek) and to the right 140A continues up to Farlow. Again, this is mostly up with two rather steep hauls. Although it's all old double track it's not an easy ride. But there's some great old forest along 140A as from the roadbed up to the ridge (Pilot) it hasn't been logged in since way-back when... my guess would be 70-100 yrs. at least.

I'll take it over the grind up 229 to Farlow any day, your mileage may vary.
    many gears, some pies

Its got what plants crave
    That still sounds really hard, especially on my 40 pound bike. I don't think I've ever actually ridden all the way up to Farlow actually. I've ridden up to Butter Gap but Farlow is quite a bit further than that even right? I think by the time I made that climb I'd be out of energy for the downhill, ha.

Asheville YetiRider

No Excuses

This is what I hear from my buddies when I say stuff like that. "NO EXCUSES"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    That still sounds really hard, especially on my 40 pound bike. I don't think I've ever actually ridden all the way up to Farlow actually. I've ridden up to Butter Gap but Farlow is quite a bit further than that even right? I think by the time I made that climb I'd be out of energy for the downhill, ha.
    Butter Gap is about 3 miles and 900ft up from Gloucester, Farlow is almost 4 miles and 1800 ft up 229, but there are some really steep parts. And BTW - FR229 is STILL GATED at the bottom.
    many gears, some pies

banned

Smile Pull-me

Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Butter Gap is about 3 miles and 900ft up from Gloucester, Farlow is almost 4 miles and 1800 ft up 229, but there are some really steep parts. And BTW - FR229 is STILL GATED at the bottom.
    I'm gonna borrow that bungee thing from May-duh that he pulls his son with and get Yetirider to pull me up 229, it will help with his oramm training

Official Cooler Inspector
    Sunday late - no ride report? Slackers.

Still riding?
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

banned

Good job! Ride report

Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Sunday late - no ride report? Slackers.

Still riding?
    Well I rounded the corner and saw something shiny laying on the trail and I knew it was a Yeti.I won't quote Yetirider( All I get to look forward to is a good chance of a scratched frame and bloody skin- The more pain the better!) The rocks on Farlow are like the vines in that movie " The Ruins" they need human skin and blood to survive. I also found a sweet glass cleaning bag on Farlow, I think it belongs to 44Gnats. I posted it on E-bay for sale and as fast as he rides it will bring a premium. Gnats was with a "Marshall" character that looked very hungry. These single speeders all look like they need to eat more.They passed us in a blur, but as " Brado " has stated " Hanging towards the back is the best way to pick up swag " I'm gonna steal somebody's saying but.........
    Riding up FS road 229 is like the way they make aluminum.....
    They take steel and suck all the soul out of it.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna steal somebody's saying but.........
    Riding up FS road 229 is like the way they make aluminum.....
    They take steel and suck all the soul out of it.
    See, that's why I prefer 5003/140A. 229 is just mind numbing, like bad TV. 5003/140A is like work hardening steel, you beat it to make it stronger. Gives you more soul in the long run
    many gears, some pies

Asheville YetiRider
    After leaving some of my skin and blood on Farlows boulders they should be growing bigger and harder then ever before. FARLOW SUCKS!!!

Apr 2007
    On a Farlow side note...any maintanence issues that need looking at on it? (Big downed trees, trail falling off the mountain, etc)

PAS recently inherited it but we haven't had a chance to get on it to see if there's anything pressing.

eschewing obfuscation
    i plan on buying back my "glass cleaning bag" on ebay; hopefully i'm not outbid by a law enforcement type as he/she would find that the bag - and the odd seeds therein - would scratch his lenses if used for its intended purpose. whatever that means.
    good to see the yeti rider and motobutane out there shredding; marshall and i rode faster knowing that if we died, two good guys would be there to collect our bikes (and sell them on ebay) and, at the least, kick our listless bodies into the abyss where we belong.
    farlow was a bit wet but conditions were great nonetheless. i didn't note too many trail obstructions, felonious, and found the whole thing to be in reasonably good shape. if anything, some of the more technical/steep sections are harder these days due to erosion (can we chopper in more dirt?)
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Members who have read this thread: 0