Farlow stairs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Farlow stairs

Dig it!

Farlow stairs

Just an FYI that the stairs near the bottom are being rebuilt by volunteers. The paving will come later. JK
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thx for the work volunteers !

mtbr member

Looks great!!

Walked in a couple weeks ago while snow was still on much of Daniel--made side trip to look at stairs. Both sets appear to have been rebuilt in a fashion that should appeal both to hikers and to MTBers--steps on the outslope edge and a rideable line on the inslope. The design appears to drain to the outslope, and with stone and locust as materials of construction, these should stay on the ground for years--any rider comments yet?

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode Upper Daniel ridge a couple weeks ago and we ended up doing an out and back on Farlow for a couple miles. I think they redid 3 sections of stairs through that stretch and all the work looks great.

There is a hiker line and less obvious biker line. I would say the Gnar factor has increased a bit actually. Overall they seem to be a good addition to the style of trail that farlow offers and the work put in was a lot and of good quality. Nice job to whatever group did the work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I rode Upper Daniel ridge a couple weeks ago and we ended up doing an out and back on Farlow for a couple miles. I think they redid 3 sections of stairs through that stretch and all the work looks great.

There is a hiker line and less obvious biker line. I would say the Gnar factor has increased a bit actually. Overall they seem to be a good addition to the style of trail that farlow offers and the work put in was a lot and of good quality. Nice job to whatever group did the work.
    Thanks for the kind words, LaXCarp--I've forwarded your comments to the folks I know who were involved in the work. The effort included Pisgah District seasonal staff and Pisgah Area SORBA volunteers. A couple more District trails' problem spots have been suggested for similar treatment.

Regards,
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!