Farlow Gap in the Rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Farlow Gap in the Rain

I'm riding the Couch Potato and Swank 65 this weekend and the forecast calls for rain. I rode the 2 events last year and enjoyed Farlow Gap (despite being absolutely cooked by the time I got there)...but having only ridden Farlow that one time -in dry weather- I'm trying to piece together what I may be in for in the rain.

I'm looking for a little advice for preparedness on a trail that is otherwise within my technical abilities when dry *but* I may easily underestimate in adverse conditions since I'm not certain what to expect: should I replace the Nobby Nic with a Hans Dampf on the front and call it good (i.e. a little more traction won't hurt), or should I plan to get off and walk (i.e. the trail is slick as snot in the rain)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    I'm riding the Couch Potato and Swank 65 this weekend and the forecast calls for rain. I rode the 2 events last year and enjoyed Farlow Gap (despite being absolutely cooked by the time I got there)...but having only ridden Farlow that one time -in dry weather- I'm trying to piece together what I may be in for in the rain.

I'm looking for a little advice for preparedness on a trail that is otherwise within my technical abilities when dry *but* I may easily underestimate in adverse conditions since I'm not certain what to expect: should I replace the Nobby Nic with a Hans Dampf on the front and call it good (i.e. a little more traction won't hurt), or should I plan to get off and walk (i.e. the trail is slick as snot in the rain)?

Thanks!

Where you checking weather? What I am seeing is about a tenth an inch over Friday/Saturday. Of course, it could be nothing or it could be some more biblical rains by then given the weather round these parts.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day

At this point, I would not really be too concerned. To your tire question, a Hans will always outshine a NN in Pisgah IMO. So weather or not, I would mos def be swapping that out.

All that blabber said, Gnarlow in the rain....ya you have the rock garden at the top to be concerned about, but the rest of the trail is so steep that I doubt it'd be too bad, just keep your head up so you know when you stop early and avoid creek swimming

Then you hit Daniel which runs well even when it's a river.

Should be a good time, some friends and I are planning to ride up and watch at the Farlow rock garden. Have not heckled Swank but I hear it's always a good time. Good luck out there!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Where you checking weather? What I am seeing is about a tenth an inch over Friday/Saturday. Of course, it could be nothing or it could be some more biblical rains by then given the weather round these parts.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day
    I was checking weather.com...yesterday! Late last week, the weather was looking good, then this weekend the forecast was projecting scattered thunderstorms for Sunday. Now it's forecasting thunderstorms Saturday and partly cloudy Sunday. It's probably going to look even better on Wednesday?

At this point, I would not really be too concerned. To your tire question, a Hans will always outshine a NN in Pisgah IMO. So weather or not, I would mos def be swapping that out.

All that blabber said, Gnarlow in the rain....ya you have the rock garden at the top to be concerned about, but the rest of the trail is so steep that I doubt it'd be too bad, just keep your head up so you know when you stop early and avoid creek swimming

Then you hit Daniel which runs well even when it's a river.
    Cool. I'll keep the NN's on for the Couch Potato, and bring the HD on the spare front wheel for the Swank.

Should be a good time, some friends and I are planning to ride up and watch at the Farlow rock garden. Have not heckled Swank but I hear it's always a good time. Good luck out there!!!!
    Thank you, and thanks for that info...and if you see me (riding an old blue Maverick), be sure to be super obnoxious!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    Thank you, and thanks for that info...and if you see me (riding an old blue Maverick), be sure to be super obnoxious!
    Is it a Matic? I used to have one and I really miss that bike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Is it a Matic? I used to have one and I really miss that bike
    It's a Durance. Great bike, I only wish it were a 29'er...but buying 26" Nobby Nics and Hans Dampfs for $10/each by the case dissuades me from replacing it

Farlow Gap in the Rain-20024107_878199032337307_1032668028059138293_o.jpg
    You locals should recognize this area...