Exploring Winston-Salem's offerings: 1st go at a bike POV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Exploring Winston-Salem's offerings: 1st go at a bike POV

I just rolled into Winston-Salem on Thursday after a 2000+ mile drive from Salt Lake City. This weekend I wanted to get out and sample some of the goods.

First I headed up to Horizons Park since it's pretty close to where I'm temporarily staying. Unfortunately, it was still kinda wet, so I only hit a couple of the advanced side loops off the perimeter trail before backing off. Definitely needed a couple more days to dry out, and I didn't want to ruin the trail on my first ride in NC.

So then I headed down to Hobby Park. Trail was in much better condition, with only a few muddy areas that were easily avoided. 5 minutes in and SNAP - my chain went. Luckily in my backpack I had a few extra links from a chain from an old fixie I used to ride around town from time to time. A quick on-trail fix yielded this glorious chain:

Riding in UT usually consists on long ascents and long descents. So I've gotten used to settling in for a longish climb to some ridgeline, and then cruising down for a while. There are exceptions of course... So the windy, thickly forested, quick ups and downs were different. But so much fun. Reminded me a bit of the trails I used to ride growing up in NH. I'm psyched to continue exploring the trails out here.

I've been putting together videos from my skiing endeavors in UT for the last few years, so I figured I'd see how a bike POV turned out. Riding is different that skiing, so I'm sure there's room for improvement, but here are some clips from Hobby Park edited together:

[vimeo]14328924[/vimeo]

If the embedding doesn't work, the link is .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Come on over to Greensboro.....we have a network of fun stuff that you can easily link 40 or so miles together by way of a greenway.

Check out http://biketriad.com/ and/or pm me.

I head out of town to ride just about every Sat and you are more than welcome to come with me.....

Welcome to NC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Staying in the area a while or passing through?

Hobby is great unless its really dry, then some of the sandy corners get sketchy at speed

Tanglewood is a dependable for a quick easy ride

Salem Lake has some good stuff back in the woods off of the main trail around the lake. There is no map that i know off. The best entrance is when heading east on 40 business get off at the Linvelle Rd exit and go straight onto New Greensboro Rd at the light. The road dead ends at the unofficial trail head. Lots of roots here so a HT may not be the best choice.

Wilksboro is 45min away and well worth the trip.

Greensboro Trails about 45 min away. No match for wilksboro

As for bike shops:

Mock Orange: The trendy place that has nothing practical ever in stock so worthless for timely repairs and parts. But its pretty so who cares? Lots of Kona

Kens: Mostly road but has some mtb stuff. Trek dealer

Pauls Schwinn: The man/suit

Clemmons Bicycle: Not too familiar with. Used to be Giant still work on them. Raliegh, Rocky Mtn now

Cycletherapy: Only place i have found to attain Bro status. Good repairs and service but can get backed up because people are finding out and the following is growing. Pivot, Titus, Jamis dealer

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    gsomtb, warnette, thanks for all info.

warnette, I'm staying for a while. I just started a job at Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine. I should be here for a couple of years at least.

I've been busy finding a place to live and starting work so I've only gotten out for 1 ride in the last week and a half. Wild Turkey was fun. Definitely better manicured than the W-S trails. I'll be heading back over there to check out some of the other trails soon.

I was thinking about heading out to Kerr Scott for a day this weekend and hitting Dark Mountain in the morning and maybe something else after lunch. From what I hear, this is some of the best riding around here short of driving all the way to the Asheville area.

I encountered some bike shop annoyingness already. Not on the part of any employees, but just the shops themselves. First of all, why does every bike shop around here close at 5:30? I have to make a point to leave work by 5 if I hope to get there before they close. If I'm running late, forget about it. I tried to get to Ken's 3 times before I actually got there before closing. So since I busted my old chain the other day, I needed a new one. Clemmons Bicycle had nothing. Ken's did. I got their last one. Really? 2 bike stores and only 1 9-speed chain? Next time I'll for sure check out Cycletherapy. Sounds a bit more promising. Or drive out to REI on the weekend and buy a bunch of spare parts.

Rant over. So far, I'm digging the riding here. It's fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    And EVERYTHING is closed on sundays. Except The First Street Draught House which is your best place for microbrews on tap to go with a damn good brunch.

Cycletherapy is open until 7 everyday except for Thursday and Sunday.

I would only suggest Dark Mountain in the morning unless there is a race going on somewhere to cut down on people. There is also the OVT. Warrior Creek which is usually the best bet there on weekends since most people ride it in the same direction. Its very easy to burn a day up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can hit me up too if you want a friend on a ride. I live in Kernersville, so I am good for either Winston or Greensboro trails. I too am on biketriad.com (same screen name).

Also, we (a group from the website) are doing a camping trip up to Wilkesboro on the weekend of Oct. 15-17. We chose Wilkesboro so more people could make it (more skill levels as well as not too far from home, many doing a day trip). Anyway, you all should check it out and join us. I recognize you gsomtb, I couldn't remember if you posted up for it or not, I'll have to look.

mtbr member
    I just started back a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the Winston Salem area. I've been to Tanglewood and Horizons. I live pretty close to Horizons, so if anyone needs a riding buddy let me know.

mtbr member
    Also, welcome to the area Telethor, we're glad to have you.

Members who have read this thread: 0