Escape from the Flat World- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Escape from the Flat World

Well I got into so-called mountain biking a couple of years ago. I live in the flatlands of Louisiana and have never been out of the south...ever; have only seen Mountains and beautiful hills in movies. Needless to say I gave up riding bikes mainly because well no mountains to ride around I found it rather boring and absolutely hated really having to pedal my arse off to really keep any kind of pace up being the trails I have rode on were basically all out flat single track.

In approximately 2 weeks I will be moving to North Carolina....offered a job I could not refuse.... super excited to get away from Louisiana not knocking it really I've just never liked it here....it's hot and muggy and well...flat,lol. More than likely I will be moving to Boone but this is not certain.

To the point I have not rode in about a year and a half and being that I will be surrounded by mountains(or so from what I have seen from pictures) it looks like NC could possibly be an excellent place to get back on the mountain bike for some true mountain bike trail riding....also I could finally buy me a killer Santa Cruz Nomad and have a reason to ride on a full suspension bike rather than my stiff hardtail I have now.

Just wanting some opinions on how fun it is to mountain bike in NC.
    Thanks in advance.
    Explorer in the further regions of experience. Demons to some, angels to others.

Gabe.....
    As far as mountain biking goes you are making the best decision of your life! I moved here over 20 years ago for just that reason and still can't believe how much there is here in Western NC (Asheville).........when you first begin climbing our mountains it will be hard and you will suffer but if you continue you will change in ways you can't imagine..........you will become more fit and life will unfold as means to ride more and more. Good luck and give a shout when you begin your journey here...........oh yeah, get the Nomad but keep the hardtail.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

WNC Native
    Congrats, we are truly blessed with the miles of awesome trails we have here in NC. I'm a native to WNC and can't see myself ever living anywhere else. We have trails here to suit every level of rider. You can start off on the easier trail systems and move to harder as you improve.

Is mountain biking fun here, no it's more like an addiction. Just wait and see!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Thank you so much I'm literally getting goose bumps just thinking of getting into mountain biking and not trail riding like I was doing for a short while. I do workout occasionally but still have a belly. Lifting weights just does not cut it for losing the belly fat, lol, but I cannot wait to get on a real mountain bike on real mountains feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack the whole time,hehe. Heck yes this will be a new start to a brand new life, I have been so depressed these past few years but got back in college after a 10 year lay off and it's now paying off. Glad I got back in school. I'm ordering a Nomad as soon as I get settled in.....heck I'm buying the bike even before I get my new bed
    Explorer in the further regions of experience. Demons to some, angels to others.

Team Martin
    Good luck w/ the move & new job! WNC & MTBing go together like PB&J... you'll love the scene

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin57
    Good luck w/ the move & new job! WNC & MTBing go together like PB&J... you'll love the scene

Thanks man I appreciate it. What sucks is I hear that NC has been getting terrible weather these past few weeks. I was told to wait about a month before driving up to NC.
    Not the worst news in the world but I hope not too many places are getting flooded out.

Job should be fun. My first time working with a team of architects and I'm still in the process of finishing college.

mtbr member
    Not sure what part of NC has been getting bad weather but WNC is needing some rain which is weird coming off one of the wettest fall/winters in a long time. Trails have been super dry and wicked fast for the past month or so.

You'll love the mountains of NC. Best move we ever made.

Members who have read this thread: 0