Enamored with Dupont - need more trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Enamored with Dupont - need more trail suggestions

I've only ridden Dupont twice but I'm already in love with the area.

The trails I link together are Corn Mill, Shoals, Burnt Mt. (love it!), Laurel Ridge, Mine Mountain, Reasonover (!), Airstrip (!), Cedar Rock (rode it the wrong direction, ugh!) and Big Rock (!!!).

Looking at my massive trail map that I bought at The Hub, these trails are basically the southwest quadrant of the state forest. are there trails in the other three quadrants I should give a ride or am I hitting the best of the best?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Got to do a Jim Branch>Hickory Mountain>Ridgeline (lake imaging parking lot). There are some other turns between JB and Hickory Mtn/Ridgeline and a couple of different ways to do it. But JB>Buck Forest Rd>White Pine Rd>Hooker Creek>Ridgeline/HM is my favorite. Nice mini DH on Hooker Creek.

Adding a quick pine tree trail "loop" to corn mill shoals parking trailheads is fun. Take long side (first left after you cross the road onto CMS road) to pine tree trail and use cascade as the backend of the loop. There are some fun jumps and drops on pine tree.

Linking a bunch of the different areas together and getting some good mileage is fun too.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a more techy run, spin up Sky Valley Road (gravel - take a right out of the Guion Farm lot and head uphill - trailhead is on the left through a gate in a small parking area) and ride down Rocky Ridge. It's one of the trails that hasn't been groomed yet so I has some nice rocky, rutted sections, if you are into that sort of thing.
    Definitely link up to Ridgeline from there - it's one of the absolute must-do trails in Dupont. Take the chance at the top of Ridgeline to do the Hickory Mountain Loop - recently rerouted with some nice views. Either direction is fine, but I prefer clockwise.

One of the newer fun trails is the addition to Turkey Knob - connect from Reasonover Creek Trail and run it to the intersection with Grassy/Joanna - stay on Grassy for more downhill fun and don't miss the side trip to Wintergreen Falls.

Other than that, take your map, a few hours worth of snacks and water, and have fun exploring - lots to discover. It's also one place I don't feel uncomfortable riding alone because there are plenty of other people there (not too many, but you won't generally be totally isolated) so if something does happen I won't be lying around too long....
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    From Lake Imaging:

climb Jim Branch>Isaac Heath>Buck Forest/ or easier climb up Lake Imaging Rd>Buck Forest (Before BF, throw in Hilltop and/or Locust if you wish) Buck Forest> to Conservation, Conservation> Pitch Pine>Three Lakes> back to Conservation> all the way up Conservation to Reasonover> Turkey Knob>Poplar Hill Loop(clockwise) continue on Turkey Knob to Briery Fork (this isn't shown on some maps) Briery > Grassy Creek >Sandy> Tarkiln> Thomas Cemetery>White Pine>Hickory Mtn Rd>Ridgeline back to Lake Imaging.

That's a good size loop. As mentioned^, throw in Hooker Creek if you have time and/or add a quick loop down Airstrip or Mine Mtn on your way to Reasonover. It's all good!

mtbr member
    Pisgah Area SORBA DuPont Routes

Generally, these are straight from the zen master of Dupont...albeit a bit dated.

mtbr member
    IMHO you're hitting the best parts...

I'd add in some MicaJah > Wilke from Rock Quarry road... Some Longside > Pine Tree > Cascade as well. It's easy to loop those up to a nice half hour addition.

Big Mac

DuPont is a place to explore. Take your lunch, your map, and have at it. Create your own best loop and you will know your love.

mtbr member

Re: Enamored with Dupont - need more trail suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    If you are looking for a more techy run, spin up Sky Valley Road (gravel - take a right out of the Guion Farm lot and head uphill - trailhead is on the left through a gate in a small parking area) and ride down Rocky Ridge. It's one of the trails that hasn't been groomed yet so I has some nice rocky, rutted sections, if you are into that sort of thing.
    Definitely link up to Ridgeline from there - it's one of the absolute must-do trails in Dupont. Take the chance at the top of Ridgeline to do the Hickory Mountain Loop - recently rerouted with some nice views. Either direction is fine, but I prefer clockwise.

One of the newer fun trails is the addition to Turkey Knob - connect from Reasonover Creek Trail and run it to the intersection with Grassy/Joanna - stay on Grassy for more downhill fun and don't miss the side trip to Wintergreen Falls.

Other than that, take your map, a few hours worth of snacks and water, and have fun exploring - lots to discover. It's also one place I don't feel uncomfortable riding alone because there are plenty of other people there (not too many, but you won't generally be totally isolated) so if something does happen I won't be lying around too long....
    SHHHHH! Don't tell anyone that there are any non groomed trails left in DSF. Next thing you know, somebody will be up there with a trail building machine and will haul off all the rocks.

I love Dupont too, but at the rate they are going, you will be able to ride it on a road bike eventually.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    If you are looking for a more techy run, spin up Sky Valley Road (gravel - take a right out of the Guion Farm lot and head uphill - trailhead is on the left through a gate in a small parking area) and ride down Rocky Ridge. It's one of the trails that hasn't been groomed yet so I has some nice rocky, rutted sections, if you are into that sort of thing....
    If you are going to ride Rocky Ridge, you may as well hit Stone Mountain too.
    It is a there and back but I would say by far the most technical trail out there.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    SHHHHH! Don't tell anyone that there are any non groomed trails left in DSF. Next thing you know, somebody will be up there with a trail building machine and will haul off all the rocks.

I love Dupont too, but at the rate they are going, you will be able to ride it on a road bike eventually.
    You don't have to worry about that, they are having trouble maintaining what they need to. Those few trails on the outskirts are not even on the radar.

Big Mac

Pretty sure you already can.

Rogue Exterminator
    I suppose with enough skill you can take a road bike anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If you are going to ride Rocky Ridge, you may as well hit Stone Mountain too.
    It is a there and back but I would say by far the most technical trail out there.
    Absolutely! Also a nice overlook at the top.

mtbr member

What's there is still fun, albeit on a hardtail. I miss the old Grassy, though.

I love Pisgah
    Wow. That roadie vid was amazing. I won't be quite so paranoid about gravel, curbs, etc while on mine from now on.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is a road bike party 2. Ashton riding down the waterslide is crazy. Sucks about his accident. He will probably be doing some crazy stunts in a wheelchair in no time.

Rogue Exterminator
    Guy was air lifted out of DuPont Saturday.
    Some guys from Michigan apparently met a friend of mine out there. One of the guys crashed bad on Grassy Meadows. The bar hit his lower abdomen and ruptured his intestine. The removed 30cm of it. Doc said in one more hour he would have gone septic.

So even more "groomed" trails can be nasty especially for out of towners who aren't used to what we are used to.

Rogue Exterminator
    What's there is still fun, albeit on a hardtail. I miss the old Grassy, though.
    The trails are fun on any bike but I will admit, I usually take the single speed hard tail out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Guy was air lifted out of DuPont Saturday.
    Some guys from Michigan apparently met a friend of mine out there. One of the guys crashed bad on Grassy Meadows. The bar hit his lower abdomen and ruptured his intestine. The removed 30cm of it. Doc said in one more hour he would have gone septic.

So even more "groomed" trails can be nasty especially for out of towners who aren't used to what we are used to.
    Darn that stinks. I hate to hear anyone injured so severely. I was there Saturday with 3 others. Lots of people biking. It only takes one crash, one tree too fast...
    I've not yet got to Grassy Meadows. Grassy Creek is the closest.
    Prayers for a quick recovery.

Rogue Exterminator
    It is a fun little trail but most people don't make it out there.