Effective 5/29/19 No More Public Access Through Ridgecrest- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Effective 5/29/19 No More Public Access Through Ridgecrest

You read that right. Effective 5/28/19 Ridgecrest will no longer allow public access to their trails or, more importantly, Old Mitchell Toll Rd. We went in today and got handed this flyer.
    Last edited by Timothy G. Parrish; 05-27-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Corrected date.

since 4/10/2009
    ouch

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone know if this will this impact Stage 1 (Rattlesnake) of the Pisgah Enduro this Saturday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatthang View Post
    Does anyone know if this will this impact Stage 1 (Rattlesnake) of the Pisgah Enduro this Saturday?
    No, it will not. Direct word from Pisgah Productions.

mtbr member
    I have only ridden Heartbreak from this direction once many years ago. Does this completely cut off access to the Toll Rd.? Or is there a way that does not involve going through Ridgecrest?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I have only ridden Heartbreak from this direction once many years ago. Does this completely cut off access to the Toll Rd.? Or is there a way that does not involve going through Ridgecrest?
    No, it does not completely cut off access. However, now the only way to access Old Toll from below is through Montreat. I'm curious how they intend to prevent people coming down from the BRP from ending up in Ridgecrest.

mtbr member
    With big giant no trespassing signs, I'm sure. Sad to see this access go away...all, please, the Montreat access and almost all of Old Toll is also private property. Please respect the access we have by acting like responsible adults. Thanks!

As a side note, this represents the loss of a totally different ride to me, something I've done for years: Montreat>Rainbow road>Toll road> Rattlesnake>Kitsuma> ridgecrest paved road of death, adventure trail (the first climb in Enduro)>Old Toll>Rainbow.

Like I said, sad.

mtbr member
    Bummer... Yeah seems they have been getting more aggressive about this over the last few years.

That Toll Rd./Rattlesnake/Kitsuma and back up loop was one of my favorites in that area. I used to live over there and rode Ridgecrest area at least once a week. Even during conference season you never saw folks up on the trails.

I wish they would at least offer a "trail pass" or something you could purchase to access the grounds. At least then they could keep track and know who was out there. I get their reasons thoogh... safety first and that place can get really busy in the summer.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Perhaps the Baptists thought that all the mountain bikers were going to corrupt their youth by offering them a beer.

mtbr member
    Word from Pisgah Productions is that it wasn't cyclists. Ridgecrest was aware cyclists simply pass through. Apparently other user groups ruined this.

But to Mike's point, always play by the rules. It's going to suck big time if Montreat prohibits access for same reason(s).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Perhaps the Baptists thought that all the mountain bikers were going to corrupt their youth by offering them a beer.
    It probably has more to do with parents of the kids that stay there reporting there was alcohol on the property and the parents calling to complain about it incessantly. Unless you've worked with kids, especially with ideological parents, you have no idea how annoyingly vocal they can be about even minor things.

mtbr member
    It's an old joke, but a goodie -

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    No, it does not completely cut off access. However, now the only way to access Old Toll from below is through Montreat. I'm curious how they intend to prevent people coming down from the BRP from ending up in Ridgecrest.
    Outsider here who was really looking forward to riding heartbreak ridge in a few weeks.
    I looked at MTB project, and it's not obvious to me how one gets to the Toll road from Montreat. Is it simply go to the end of that road that shows as dead ending at Flat Creek near some switchbacks in the toll road and keep going?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Outsider here who was really looking forward to riding heartbreak ridge in a few weeks.
    I looked at MTB project, and it's not obvious to me how one gets to the Toll road from Montreat. Is it simply go to the end of that road that shows as dead ending at Flat Creek near some switchbacks in the toll road and keep going?

Thanks
    The way I access Toll Rd is up Lookout Rd from Flat Creek Rd (called Assembly Dr. in Montreat). Take a right off Assembly right before Lake Susan. There is a trail head for the Lookout Mtn trail and you should see a gated road leading out of the lower parking lot. It starts as dirt, turns to pavement which ends a road crossing. Continues as a rocky trail across that road... something like 10-12 miles to the top of Heartbreak.

Toll can be a bit tricky if you've never done it. Get the Avenza PDF Map app and download the Pisgah Map Co. West Grandfather Ranger District Map. Its the best one and is way better than any MTB app (MTB project, Trailforks, etc.). That will locate you on the map in real time using GPS so you can leave your phone on Airplane mode...

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/8077...rict-west-side
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've always accessed it through Rainbow Road.

https://www.hikewnc.info/trails/montreat/rainbow-road

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks Guys

mtbr member
    FWIW- I was riding Old Toll to Heartbreak Sunday and talked a while with a very friendly and knowledgeable hiker who had come in from a neighborhood adjacent to Ridgecrest. He stated that Old Toll between around/about where Lookout Trail comes in up to Adventure Trail is also on Ridgecrest property. I need to look at gis data or similar to confirm, but does make sense...I'm 100% going to keep riding it, but also putting it out there here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It's an old joke, but a goodie -

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.
    I understand that you are upset with Ridgecrest for exercising their right to keeping their property private, but insulting a group of people for having different religious ideologies than you is immature and unproductive. If Baptists don't want alcohol on their property, then visitors should respect that. Obviously, they didn't, and we lost access. Don't get mad at the Baptists for keeping their beliefs. Get mad at the irresponsible and disrespectful people that forced their hand.

mtbr member
    Itís a joke. Donít take yourself so seriously.