Easy-moderate MTB trails North of Asheville? (Northern Pisgah, Coleman Boundary)- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Easy-moderate MTB trails North of Asheville? (Northern Pisgah, Coleman Boundary)

Hey all - We've recently moved to Barnardsville, NC which is 30 minutes north of Asheville. We've found a ton of trails in the easy to medium skill range south of Asheville, but everything to the north seems to be out of our league - for now.
    Do any of you know of beginner to intermediate fireroads and/or single track north of Asheville?
    Thanks! Redliw

Big Mac
    Alexander Park is Northerly. What about Bent Creek? Just barely south of Asheville and nothing but beginner/intermediate stuff. Not really much north of Asheville besides Colemans Boundary, which is awesome, but not at all beginner friendly.

Apr 2009
    Thanks mbmb65 - We actually just got back from Bent Creek. It was the perfect speed for us as we are just getting back on our wheels after an injury and general laziness. But we know a closer trail would mean less couch temptation.
    Bent Creek isn't too far away for occasional rides, but we need a local trail for impromptu motivation.
    I hadn't heard of Alexander Trail but it looks like a great location for after-work beat-the-sunset rides! If anyone has other suggestions - keep'm coming.
    Thanks - Redliw

mtbr member
    Road bike. Lots of hills to climb in them there mountains.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Road bike. Lots of hills to climb in them there mountains.
    +1 .........
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Redliw,

There are some trails around the landfill on Riverside Drive. I have never ridden them, so I couldn't give a review, but it would be closer than BC.

Brian

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez
    Redliw,

There are some trails around the landfill on Riverside Drive. I have never ridden them, so I couldn't give a review, but it would be closer than BC.

Brian
    That would be the Alexander Park that I already mentioned. The trails are well marked and easy to navigate and are beginner friendly. Just not a lot of trail to be had.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Redliw
    Thanks mbmb65 - We actually just got back from Bent Creek. It was the perfect speed for us as we are just getting back on our wheels after an injury and general laziness. But we know a closer trail would mean less couch temptation.
    Bent Creek isn't too far away for occasional rides, but we need a local trail for impromptu motivation.
    I hadn't heard of Alexander Trail but it looks like a great location for after-work beat-the-sunset rides! If anyone has other suggestions - keep'm coming.
    Thanks - Redliw
    Eat your Wheaties and ride up the road at Colemans Boundary, have a look at the Waterfalls and turn around and ride back down the road. It's a tough climb, but it's pretty and it's actually a really cool road. Take your time and enjoy the scenery and you'll be fine. I mean you live right there! Might as well use what you got. FWIW, the road riding around there isn't really any easier than the Mountain Biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    corner rock is a great area to explore. while staire creek may be a little too hairball for some, upper corner rock trail (accessed about five miles past the bottom gate) linked with bear pen is pretty mellow, as is walker's creek.

there's also a lot of mellow trails off the left side of the road that aren't on the NG maps.

mtbr member
    I don't know how you get off saying upper corner rock is tame - it totally ate my lunch recently...so someone decided to put a trail right down the gut of the fall line, and the rocks... and the leaves, waah, waah...Next time I'll push up it (to revisit the trauma zone) and go down walker, out to the falls, then up rd to bear pen, etc..

A truly singular place to ride. Really makes you appreciate a good switchback to slow your descent (fall).

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    which map are these on ?

mtbr member
    Trails illustrated Linville Gorge/Mt Mitchell

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    How about Richmond Hill.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    +1 for Richmond Hill
    Fun 3+ miles (more if you meander) of mellowness...perfect for a quick after work spin or a town ride with dirt in it...

mtbr member
    Coleman is tough riding to be sure, however I might try an out and back on Bear Pen. Who's to say you couldn't simply park at the bottom there at the intersection of Staire Creek/Bear Pen. Out of all the trails I experienced at Coleman Bear Pen seemed the most intermediate. Still tough but nothing like Staire Creek or Perkins! Perkins is a creek bed w/ a trail sign. The gravel climb up wasn't too bad (from memory) but if you're trying to get in a traditional ride up there w/ out hitting some tough stuff it won't happen. I'm intrigued by the off the map trails - I didn't see any of those. I want to go back soon and explore.

Otherwise you're in the same boat many of us are in who live in Asheville proper, or north of town. Drive, drive, drive to the really sweet stuff. I'd echo the Richmond Hill comments, with the cutting of NEW trail, and perhaps more importantly the official opening of existing border trails I think there could be even more than 3 miles of real trail riding there now. It's an option for me only because I can ride from my house there w/ in 15 minutes. If I had to drive I might skip it for a road ride or taking the time for Bent Creek or even better Mills River.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    oh, this was a two year old question!
    My one says BRAP!

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    oh, this was a two year old question!
    Yea I fell for it too apparently.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Members who have read this thread: 0