Easiest Trails at DuPont?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Easiest Trails at DuPont?

Hi Folks,

I'll be in WNC over thanksgiving and would like to take my 11 year old to DuPont. I'd classify him as an advanced beginner/intermediate. He can certainly handle singletrack and has a bike suitable for the task. I've ridden there before, just can't remember the exact specifics. I'm looking for advice on a beginner/intermediate ride with these criteria:

as much singletrack as possible,
    no more than 10 miles or so.
    I'd also like to get to some of the waterfalls in the process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Charlottesville, VA

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    You may want to take a look at some of these routes.

Pisgah Area SORBA DuPont Routes
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Of those, which would you recommend? I've been there once, rode the IMBA Epic loop and had a blast. I know my son can't do all of that.., but I would like to take him on some of the swoopier trails (he likes those), and at least a couple of the waterfalls. Studying the map and I'm getting stuff mixed up..., even though it was just last spring! dang, I'm getting old and senile.

I thought of riding from buck forest trailhead, around to High Falls, down to Lake Julia/ Bridal Veil, then would love to head to Longside/Pine Tree (aren't those really nice and swoopy singletrack?) /Sheep Mt., but I can't remember if there is a reasonable way to get around that water crossing on the Corn Mill Shoals trail? That won't go over well if it is cold...

Advice on that? Can you connect from the bridal overlook trail to the little river trail? That would solve my problem I think...

Thanks!
    Sam

Official Cooler Inspector
    We "followed" a very excited 12 yr girl most of Reasonover (Fawn Lake side) to lake Julia, checked out the Horse Barn and rested with a Bridal Veil hike/hang out visit. Took Corn Mill out to Shelter Rock to Air Strip. Though it is a fairly easy climb, she started wearing down. The actual Air Strip pumped her back up - even took full dunk with bike clothes swim in Fawn lake. "Best ride of my life!".

This might be a short ride, but there are lots of things to stop in explore.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would hit MUMs suggestions in the summer...but right now, I would park at Guion Farm and hit the skills park and pump track for a warm up before heading out Hickory Mtn Rd. to Ridgeline to Lake Imaging Rd. and back up Buck Forest Rd...there are options to the right as you are climbing back up Buck Forest if the rugrat is still feeling spry...

Btw...I always take a bungee tow cord as well...it makes the climbs easier on both of you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Take reasonover out of Fawn lake parking. When u get to lake julia, if u are tired come back up the double track road. If u have energy, drop down airstrip and loop back around to dbl track back to parking. Super fun either way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Never been on the airstrip trail or reasonover. Could you describe the trail character of each?

Thanks a TON!!, this is all very helpful, we're going to have a great time no doubt!

Sam

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK, airstrip is definitely IN: found this youtube: GoPro Dupont Airstrip trail - YouTube

I showed to my son just now and he was freaking out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ReasonOver is more gradual and longer than airstrip. More even climBs and drops. But similar in terrain

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Ridgeline is a must! defiantly kid friendly

Also as a side note Sheep Mountain is closed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    RidgeLine is awesome too. Here is a quick loop that will include the fun downhill on ridgeline. I think it is less than six miles. Super fun, quick loop:from lake imaging parking:lake imaging rd.,left onjim branch trail,left on buck forest rd,left on white pine trail,left on hooker creek trail,left on ridgeline,rt on lake imaging. Easy to do in around an hour. Do this . U will not regret it!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Is all of airstrip depicted on the online map?

Quote Originally Posted by karma 33 View Post
    ReasonOver is more gradual and longer than airstrip. More even climBs and drops. But similar in terrain
    I'm having trouble finding airstrip (below the actual strip) on the map, this one: https://www.dupontforest.com/images/...DFMapFront.jpg

From the top/pavement, where does it go?

sorry for all the questions, i just need to have this all figured out...

-s

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by slindblom View Post
    I'm having trouble finding airstrip (below the actual strip) on the map, this one: https://www.dupontforest.com/images/...DFMapFront.jpg

From the top/pavement, where does it go?

sorry for all the questions, i just need to have this all figured out...

-s
    You would park at the resonover Road parking lot, at the bottom of the map.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    You would park at the resonover Road parking lot, at the bottom of the map.
    Sorry, I think I asked the wrong question: How do you get to the top of the airstrip trail (what trail/road leads to it), then where does it end, what intersection?

thanks again,
    Sam

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Before you commit to the south side of the park...show your boy this:

Ridgeline Trail-Dupont Forest Nc - YouTube

You can always head over to Bridal Veil Falls and or High Falls if you really need water in November...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good stuff, Ridgeline is going to be hard to beat. Maybe my problem isn't what to ride, it's that I can only get out one day!

Thanks everyone! this is going to make our trip!
    Sam

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How is riding DuPont this time of year, with all the leaves down? Might do this route on Weds:

Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive To Briery and Back

Airstrip looked pretty sick too.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arriflex View Post
    How is riding DuPont this time of year, with all the leaves down? Might do this route on Weds:

Airstrip looked pretty sick too.....
    This has become my favorite ride in DuPont. Lots of climbing early (Chestnut Oak thru Joanna), and I always have to walk the rock-strewn descent to the creek on Grassy Creek, but well worth the trouble. That would be a lot for the OP's son, though. I think my sons would have gotten pretty discouraged on that route at that age, but they would have LOVED Ridgeline!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bought a trail map today, but am still trying to figure out how to get the route straight. Directions in a ziplock bag on the bar maybe? Complex!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fastest? Go right at the bottom and hammer the road back around to Guion Farm...kinda boring though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone have a quick route from the base of ridgeline back to the top?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bought a trail map today, but am still trying to figure out how to get the route straight. Directions in a ziplock bag on the bar maybe? Complex!
    Dupont is riddled w/ trails...but, it is also pretty well marked...Trust the map but keep it handy...you will refer to it often.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a quick route from the base of ridgeline back to the top?
    from bottom of ridgeline, left on lake imaging, left after pond on jim branch (climb), at end of jim branch..left on buck forest....left on white pine, left on hooker creek, left back on ridgeline....keep doing it and the endless cycle will continue....fun fun fun
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any thoughts on how it might look over there after toight's rains?

Great help so far gang, thanks!

mtbr member
    Parked at Imaging Lake and took my 7yr old down Ridgeline trail. Easy climb and he had a blast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How'd you like that grassy creek descent? I rode that loop on Weds.....numb feet from the water crossings, and the grassy creek trail was in pretty rough shape. Exciting stuff!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks to all of you! We ended up doing the loop suggested by Karma 33: Lake Imaging... Jim Branch... Hooker Creek... Ridgeline loop. My son had an absolute blast! We were a little short on time, and this fit the bill perfectly. Best to knock out a challenging but not overly difficult loop to keep him having fun! Ridgeline was right up his alley, he loves the smooth corners and grade reversals..

Thanks Everyone! Back to the Virginia Blue Ridge...

Sam