Early Bear Get's the Photo Op- Mtbr.com
    Official Cooler Inspector

Early Bear Get's the Photo Op

My personal Chain Link Fence Designer visited the neighborhood today - at 6 pm. To truly judge size, he/she was about 25' from the deck. Hunter Hollis "shot" it with a flash.

Ya'll be careful riding around the area.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Bear Get's the Photo Op-beent_creek_bear_10.jpg  

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

29er zealot
    nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeah, he looks like a killer. heh.

mtbr member
    Saw one yesterday on Joanna Mountain in Dupont. She wasn't that close though.

mtbr member
    Did you offer the bear a beer?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Gabe.....
    Looks like it might be a good time for some local "authority" to post up some guidelines for riding and living with bears............I foresee the potential for disaster as it applies to folks and this bear..........not to mention it's future during this years hunting season. Seems like it may be looking for a meal in your yard MUM........
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I actually have a bear bell... I know I know it's probably a dorky thing to have (but if you look at my avatar you'll see that I'm a DORK member). I only use it when I get chills up my spine like something is watching me.

I strapped it to my stem for the HB Ridge downhill on Saturday because I was riding solo. It was deafening and would have scared away anything within a mile.

[BTW, I've already read that piece about bear poop having bear bells and bear spray cans in it]
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    I actually have a bear bell... I know I know it's probably a dorky thing to have (but if you look at my avatar you'll see that I'm a DORK member). I only use it when I get chills up my spine like something is watching me.

I strapped it to my stem for the HB Ridge downhill on Saturday because I was riding solo. It was deafening and would have scared away anything within a mile.

[BTW, I've already read that piece about bear poop having bear bells and bear spray cans in it]
    HB ridge is where I've had a few crash across the trail and down the hill in front of me in the past.. there was a ton of fresh bear chit and turned over logs and debris along the ridge last week..

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    I actually have a bear bell...
    I run a bear bell from the back of my camelbak at all times when riding solo ... damn the bears, it's the horses and hikers I'm worried about!

This bear showed up last year and caused quite a ruckus. It is much larger (fence crusher) than any of the others we've grown used to. I have not seen any cubs yet, and really didn't want to lift it's leg to see what sex it is, but it looks like an old fella.

I saw three next door one night about a month ago. They all seem to be roaming more on the upper end of the neighborhood woods. We haven't had a repeat of the Big Trash Spread of 2009 yet. Glad I don't do curbside!

I was told many years ago that a fenced in yard with no dog gave them sense of security. They're apparently snarfing around for invertebrates under the leaves and making a few holes.

They've been coming around for many years and there's really not much you can do about it. The paper has had several articles about bears. One was running around downtown.

Folks new to the area should be bear aware. As silent fast moving bikers,I think we've been really lucky - so far. Ding you bell, chat it up, sing every now and then. Be especially mindful at water sources and blind curves.

RIDE YOUR BIKE.

http://www.wildwnc.org/education/nat...-your-backyard
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ride one.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I lightened up the pic so we could really see this beauty!

Thanks!

I did the same thing last night. You still can't see the gray in it muzzle though.

On the way to work, 6:30/Brevard Road near the Bent Creek Lodge entrance, another big 'un crossed through traffic to get to the river. A lot of folks had a new tale to tell. I've never seen on down there before.

Members who have read this thread: 0