Dupont's Doughnut Hole- Mtbr.com
    Shortcutting Hikabiker

Dupont's Doughnut Hole

Has there been any recent news on the status of the hole? It's been a couple of years now.

I was there yesterday and checked out the forest road that leads to the top of Bridal Veil from the power lines, I think there are 10x more no trespassing signs now than when it was private! I miss the old days of crossing under the falls instead of the CMS slip n slide, access to the bridge would be even better...

since 4/10/2009
    This is the most recent article I could find on the subject in a quick search.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...oon/919000001/

The site is probably still being remediated, given the timeframes quoted in the article.

Here are some documents about the remediation itself:

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/w...ion-activities

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah I've seen those.

Maybe it's best to keep it difficult to access the west side of the forest. The visitor center and Hooker Falls area has gotten absolutely insane. I only saw 4 people on my quick Burt/Cedar/Big loop last Friday. The lots and roadsides on Staton were absolutley mobbed.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    Yeah I've seen those.

Maybe it's best to keep it difficult to access the west side of the forest. The visitor center and Hooker Falls area has gotten absolutely insane. I only saw 4 people on my quick Burt/Cedar/Big loop last Friday. The lots and roadsides on Staton were absolutley mobbed.
    It'll get done and I'm sure Dupont has plans for what they intend to do with the area after the remediation is finished. For a lot of the documented waste sites, those documents specify to an extent how an area can be used in the future, and what kinds of testing must be done prior to future development. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the worst sites become hard surfaces like parking lots.

I've got friends who have worked on Superfund sites (WAY more contaminated with far nastier things than the Dupont donut hole) like the Hanford nuclear site in WA and Fernald in OH (also a former nuclear site) and the cleanup just goes until it's done. They usually find more waste than they expected, and the cleanup usually costs more than anticipated. Looking at lists of Superfund cleanup sites, it looks like they can take anywhere from 1yr to decades to clean up and be "deleted" from the list.

And to be clear, I'm only using Superfund sites for comparison purposes because the documentation on their listing and cleanup process is pretty robust.

I've no doubt that whenever they finally open up the donut hole to the public that it'll change the dynamic of use within Dupont.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I've no doubt that whenever they finally open up the donut hole to the public that it'll change the dynamic of use within Dupont.
    Opening up that area to the public is not part of the plan, currently. There was talk of some sort of easement access to provide a connector to allow access to either side without having to cross the river, but that was somewhat doubtful.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Opening up that area to the public is not part of the plan, currently. There was talk of some sort of easement access to provide a connector to allow access to either side without having to cross the river, but that was somewhat doubtful.
    At best, it's probably just a long term idea (at least, it's a hope I have). I doubt any concrete plans will get made until after the remediation work is finished.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm a bit suprised that a connector from the end of Little River Trail to the Bridge wouldn't be some sort of priority. The CMS crossing is sketchy and seems like it would take some potential liability off of the state if they provided access to the bridge. As I'm sure you know, the old road on the other side of the river is already there, it's not like it would be a monumental effort to open it up. Just red tape.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit suprised that a connector from the end of Little River Trail to the Bridge wouldn't be some sort of priority. The CMS crossing is sketchy and seems like it would take some potential liability off of the state if they provided access to the bridge. As I'm sure you know, the old road on the other side of the river is already there, it's not like it would be a monumental effort to open it up. Just red tape.
    I can only share what DSRF staff have told me. DSRF does not own that property, so they cannot provide any access to, or across it.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I can only share what DSRF staff have told me. DSRF does not own that property, so they cannot provide any access to, or across it.
    The property was conveyed to the state a couple of years ago, it's public land that the public doesn't currently have access to.

mtbr member
    The property was conveyed to the state a couple of years ago, it's public land that the public doesn't currently have access to.
    Correct, the state owns it. But DSRF does not have permission to access it. I should have been more clear.

What does a bean mean?!
    I went on a tour of DuPont with the Transylvania Natural Resources Council and it included the donut hole. Staff clearly said that opening up some of the area is part of their long term plans, hopefully in ways that will reduce crowds in places that are being "loved to death." But for the foreseeable future it's just the employee parking lot.