DuPont and Tsali trail suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. DuPont and Tsali trail suggestions?

The wife and I are in the area for a couple of days. We're renting a couple of bikes (unfortunately lower end hardtails) and are planning on hitting DuPont and Tsali each for one day. We're experienced riders, but out of shape. Can anyone recommend some loops at DuPont and Tsali? We're looking mostly for good flow, a little technical is OK, but don't want killer climbs. Ideas?

Also, any reasonably priced places to stay in Asheville? Where is the best beer selection in town? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you're staying in Asheville, I'd skip Tsali and ride Dupont and Pisgah.

Burnt Mtn and Cedar Rock are two great Dupont loops that you can do from the Corn Mill Shoals lot, they're a good time and you can double em up for a good 2hr loop.

In Pisgah, park at the Davidson River campground and go across the street to climb up Thrift Cove to Sycamore Cove, it's a quick one with a climb but some of my favorite downhill in the area. Once Sycamore Cove dumps you back out onto the highway, make a right and ride it a half mile back to the lot you started from, then go back up and make a left at the fork to Grass Rd, which will take you up and around to the lower part of Black Mountain trail, which is a fantastic flowy downhill. That will dump you right back across the street from your car.

You'd miss out if you didn't hit Oskar Blues after the ride in Brevard, then head back to Asheville for beers and food at Wicked Weed.

Enjoy!!

Rogue Exterminator
    He just said he didn't want big climbs so you recommend the toughest climbs in DuPont and Pisgah. Brilliant.

Tsali might be an awesome choice for you and your wife.
    A little far from Asheville (a couple hours) so if you don't have the time for that drive then maybe skip it. The trail has a suggested way when you go there so just do that. Pretty easy to find your way around there. Very pretty trails wit good flow and nothing overly technical. If you can only go one day out there I suggest a day that the Right and Left loops are open. Much better loops than the other two.

DuPont stay on the Lake Imaging side of you only do one day. The climbs are not as bad and they are more flow. Nothing real technical over there where the Cedar Rock side is steep and a little more technical.

Pisgah is great but the climbs are going to steep and some of the trails are really technical. For what you say you want though, I would skip it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh come on... if those climbs are the two worst you can think of in Pisgah, you're either a first time mountain biker or you need to explore more here. Want to recommend some easy gravel exercise trails he can do anywhere? I'm sure that'd be worth the drive.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bitjockey View Post
    Oh come on... if those climbs are the two worst you can think of in Pisgah, you're either a first time mountain biker or you need to explore more here. Want to recommend some easy gravel exercise trails he can do anywhere? I'm sure that'd be worth the drive.

I see reading comprehension is not a strong point for you.

mtbr member
    If you go to Tsali, there aren't many choices. Depending on the day, you either ride Thompson and Mouse or Left Loop and Right Loop (very creative names, I think). Either is good fun. Mouse/Thompson is about 16 miles and Left/Right is about 22, if my memory serves me.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    Mike, you are right (or at least close enough to right).

if you do Mouse and Thompson don't skip the overlook on Mouse either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I see reading comprehension is not a strong point for you.
    You know, you don't have to insult someone to get your point across...

For the original poster, try Bent Creek instead of Pisgah proper or Tsali. Close to Asheville and plenty of good trails to be had without killer climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Or you could not be a prick and realize people can have different preferences.

I've lived here and ridden here since 1988 and if I wanted to recommend some horrible ****, it would be Clawhammer or Turkey Pen or Bennetts any of the other challenging terrain this amazing place has to offer. Hell, the climb and downhill combined doing Sycamore is barely 4 miles and 45 minutes? The grass road climb up to Lower Black mtn is an easy, wide fire road the whole way, with an awesome flowy downhill which is just what he asked to find.

But clicking back through your previous posts and profile clearly shows your same attitude everywhere, and some awesome racist photos. Forget it.

mtbr member

DuPont and Tsali trail suggestions?

+1 bitjockey. You're right on target. They'll love it.

I love Pisgah
    IMO, as much as I love Pisgah, since the OP clearly stated their out of shape, I'd skip it in this instance, and go to Bent Creek, Tsali, or Dupont. One can still find plenty of decent climbs here and there at all 3.

In comparison, Tsali would prolly be the easiest to navigate for a first time user there. Pretty simple. Theres a nice big arse map at the TH. Just one huge loop(Left/Right combined) with an old rolling roadbed(called County Line rd) straight up the center to give one some options(plus 2 shorter bail out trails that connect Right back to the roadbed). Otherwise theres 2 short 2-mile loops with great views spurring off the main loop. Traffic goes both ways, so beware.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bitjockey View Post
    Or you could not be a prick and realize people can have different preferences.

I've lived here and ridden here since 1988 and if I wanted to recommend some horrible ****, it would be Clawhammer or Turkey Pen or Bennetts any of the other challenging terrain this amazing place has to offer. Hell, the climb and downhill combined doing Sycamore is barely 4 miles and 45 minutes? The grass road climb up to Lower Black mtn is an easy, wide fire road the whole way, with an awesome flowy downhill which is just what he asked to find.

But clicking back through your previous posts and profile clearly shows your same attitude everywhere, and some awesome racist photos. Forget it.
    Oh geez sorry I hurt you or feelings.

Anyways, you could actually read and see I never even commented on your Pisgah route when I was talking about climbs and said you suggested the worst climbs in DuPont and told him to do it twice completely ignoring the fact that he said he didn't want big climbs and that a little technical was ok but he wanut looking for it. Sure, I don't consider DuPont technical but a little common sense would tell anyone that he would probably have a lot more fun on trails like Jim Branch, Locust, Isaac Heath, Hilltop, Hickory Mtn and of course Ridgeline.
    Also yes Tsali is a bit of drive but for what the OP is asking for in riding it is a great choice.

All this especially considering they will be on low end rentals.

Fyi, I love the trails you suggested along with the long climbs and the technical stuff like Bennett, Black etc. So I get out and explore just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    All this especially considering they will be on low end rentals.
    I bet those low end rentals will be nicer than my first 4 or 5 mountain bikes.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    Possibly
    Probably even a little better than my first which I did take all through Pisgah.
    However back then I was doing a lot more walking and I wouldn't want to do what I do now on one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    4 days at DuPont this summer and it kicked my butt….. and I ride year-around 5x /wk average…..there's plenty there to climb.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    4 days at DuPont this summer and it kicked my butt….. and I ride year-around 5x /wk average…..there's plenty there to climb.
    Wasn't just the climbs but the elevation difference.
    When I first moved here from 0ft (Savannah Ga) walking used to get me winded. Lol