Dupont trail route suggestions wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Dupont trail route suggestions wanted

Used to ride up there a lot 10+ years ago, but have not been in a long time, and really just getting back to riding again. planning on making some trips, but don't want to get into the uber technical stuff...just yet maybe. lol not in my 30's anymore.

Anyway, I have a map with all the trails listed with a number, so a good route with some cool views, etc, would be great. Can just list in order. Want to refamiliarize myself with the trails.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Trail Forks app has a lot of good route suggestions. For views try to link your ride with Big Rock/Cedar Rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would recommend Reasonover, Hilltop, Rocky Ridge, and Ridgeline for fun, flowy trails. They are on opposite ends if the forest, but there are plenty of good options to connect them if you choose. The views aren't as spectacular as Big Rock/Cedar Rock, but definitely good trails to start with!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cool app, but I don't see any suggestions in the app, unless there is something deeper, with login.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Hey gmoss, Goosedog here ....hit me up, I live 5miles from dupont I'll give you the reacquaintence tour.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I find it easier to pull a map out of my pocket than to keep having to access my phone, while riding. This is why I am looking for routes. Also, would like to include taking my boys, which are capable, but I don't want to get them too out of their element too quickly. Endurance is the biggest concern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Hey gmoss, Goosedog here ....hit me up, I live 5miles from dupont I'll give you
    the reacquaintence tour.
    Awesome! Long time bud. Would like to head that way soon, so I will definitely.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Anytime man. Been on the moto again too, rode Brushy the other week then Enoree last Sunday ...braaaap.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Haha, i am going the other way, at least for now. Not missing it too much.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoss View Post
    Haha, i am going the other way, at least for now. Not missing it too much.
    Yup I swing both ways haha, but after 5yrs off the moto it's good to roost a little again. Seriously tho I can set you up on a good loop or two in DSRF and when yer ready a little bit of Pisgah too.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    When using the app click on a trail then slide up for another menu that has pictures ride logs etc. Click on ride logs and you can see how other people are linking trails together. Gives you a good idea on what direction trails are ridden.

mtbr member
    I've said it before, but Trail Forks is the best riding app I've used. I'm a map guy too and on my last trip out west, the map was used at the house and Trail Forks in the woods. Give it a shot.
    Props to the staff at Flagstaff Bike Revolution for turning me on to it in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My personal favorite thing to do in DuPont is to ride up Jim Branch, navigate to Hooker Creek and do that, then go up Hickory Mountain, down Hickory and down Ridgeline. If you feel like doing a second loop, it's manageable and you can cut out the parts you don't want to do. Hilltop can be added in, also. You can also go down Jim Branch. There are a lot of options in that immediate area that are fun and you can do them several times over.

The Cedar/Burnt loop is fun, but there are some technical parts. The bottom part of Burnt has a long rock armored section with several drops. It's manageable but be on the lookout for it, it is steep and it can be slippery. Going down Big Rock has a few drops and rock features, but they aren't that difficult IMO, they are further spread out and it's a lot easier to modulate your speed than it is going down Burnt. There are some parts that are technical, but overall, I found going down Big Rock to be a lot easier than I expected.

I made my way further into the forest for the first time this week and did the mtbproject "Best of DuPont" loop that comes out to about 18 miles and 2200 feet. I wouldn't recommend it. It has fun parts, but it felt like they were fewer and further between, especially for the climbing required. I probably won't do it again unless I just want to put miles in, rather focusing on the trails in the Ridgeline area which were, IMO, the best of the entire loop and a lot easier to get to.

I haven't done Rocky Ridge yet, but I've heard it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Did a nice loop today starting @ lake imaging, about 25 miles.
    Jim Branch > Isaac Heath >Locust > Hilltop > Pitchpine > up to airstrip > down to Reasonover > Turkey Knob > back to Airstrip > down Airstrip > Pitchpine > Hooker Falls > Ridgeline > turn around and go up to Hooker Falls again to do Ridgeline again. Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Hey gmoss, Goosedog here ....hit me up, I live 5miles from dupont I'll give you the reacquaintence tour.
    Forgot you were that close, I should've hit you up.
    I hit up Enoree the previous 2 weekends...Braaap.
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 12-04-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoss View Post
    Used to ride up there a lot 10+ years ago, but have not been in a long time, and really just getting back to riding again. planning on making some trips, but don't want to get into the uber technical stuff...just yet maybe. lol not in my 30's anymore.

Anyway, I have a map with all the trails listed with a number, so a good route with some cool views, etc, would be great. Can just list in order. Want to refamiliarize myself with the trails.

Thanks!
    The trail numbers change every time the map is updated, so if I'm not referring to the same map, the numbers don't match! The 'new' (it was released about a year ago) Friends of DuPont Forest/National Geographic Trails Illustrated map (available here: Maps ? DuPont State Recreational Forest) has a series of suggested routes on the back. A personal favorite is to park at the Lake Imaging lot, ride Imaging/Jim Branch/Isaac Heath/Locust/Hilltop/Lake Imaging/Buck Forest/White Pine/Hooker Creek/Ridgeline (right)/Hickory Mountain Loop/Ridgeline and Lake Imaging back to the car. Now becoming a favorite is to stretch that ride (only 10 miles or so) by adding the recently rebuilt Rocky Ridge, like this:

Lake Imaging/Jim Branch/Isaac Heath/Locust/Hilltop/Lake Imaging/Buck Forest/Thomas Cemetery/Tarkiln/Sky Valley Rd/Frank Street/Switchback/Rocky Ridge/Guion/Rifle/Boundary/Hickory Mtn Rd/Hickory Mtn Loop/Ridgeline/Lake Imaging out to the car. 14 or so miles...

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cool guys. Thanks. How much climbing with some of these routes. I don't remember the routes I used to take, but I remember a long climb to get up to the nice slickrock trails, which some were quite technical.

mtbr member
    Meh. It's pretty easy compared to some proper Pisgah stuff. You can look at the trail profiles on the app for an idea of elevation gain/loss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Meh. It's pretty easy compared to some proper Pisgah stuff. You can look at the trail profiles on the app for an idea of elevation gain/loss.
    Agreed, my ~25 mile ride was less than 2800'.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ha! Only 2800' really? Seems like a lot of climbing to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It was 2800' in 25 miles that isn't bad. That 25 covers a good portion of dupont and is a lot of short/moderate ups and downs. Big rock and cedar (slickrock) are much less than that. I'm out of shape and big rock isn't too bad, same with burnt. But I don't think those are the best options for your kids, not yet anyway. I would park at guion farm. There is a kids trail there to get warmed up on. Then try the forest roads through the park. Ridgeline isn't a bad option either, but you'll be looking at around 1200' to get back to the car, but it is more up/down and not all at once. Fawn lake parking has some good beginner/intermediate trails as well. Mine Mountain, Laurel Mountain, Reasonover.