Dupont Trail Route Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Dupont Trail Route Question

I'm going to be making my second trip down to Dupont next week. Really enjoyed the 1st trip last year but I think we missed out on some of the more fun riding due to the shear size of the place. As we were leaving last year it was recommended that we ride the Airport trail but I was just to beat to make it on around there. So next week I want to make an effort to hit that trail. I'd like to know which trailhead to use and the route to take to get the best ride. We're only going to be there 2 days and probably only just ride a couple of hours each day so I've really got to get the best rides dialed in.

I'd also like to take my buddy up the slick rock. We went there last year but I think we took the hardest accent. There were some guys who also came up but came from a different direction but they talked like their ride was a little easier. Can I also get some info on the best route up to the rocks? We're looking to loops if at possible to get the most riding in but only one car.

If there are any other recommendations about must ride trails I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to be digging out my map soon so hopefully I can make sense of any directions you guys can give me. Hope I can find that thing.

Thanks
    Bryan

mtbr member
    I would do them both in one ride. Park at Corn Mill Shoals. Do Big Rock>cedar rock>burnt mtn then I'd do Micajah/wilkie, down cascade>pine tree>down the road to high falls lot>right on conservation rd>three lakes/pitch pine (counter clockwise)>airstrip>corn mill shoals back to car.

Dupont takes a lot of micro loops to get longer rides. Also try Ridgeline, its a biker favorite and arguably the best trail out there. Park at Lake imaging or Guion Farm for that. It could also be added to the above ride if you're feeling zesty. Be aware that airstrip, mine mtn, reasonover, and some others have been worked on recently so Woodman would be the one to ask about potential trail closures, especially in the fawn lake area.

Good luck. Dupont is kind of a maze when you're learning it but take your time and take a map and you'll have fun.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Please check the trail closures link below to see if all the trails are open.

Pisgah Area SORBA Forum Whiteboard - You must be logged into PAS web site to post. Trail Closure
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yea last time we were down there I learned how much of a maze DuPont can be. It seemed like every little section of trail has it's own name. I spent a lot of time looking at a map trying to make sure we didn't get too lost.

I really hope things will open up by next week. From the PAS site it looks like they're hoping Airport will be open by this weekend so I'm hoping by middle of next week we should be in good shape. Even if some of the places I want to ride are closed I'm guessing there's still plenty of good riding around. Anybody involved in the work at DuPont got any insight into which trail "might" be opening up next week. Looks like Corn Mill and Airport are both closed right now but in the route listed above.

Woodman's up here in Boone right now. Sent him a PM, so I'm hoping with the rain coming in the this week maybe I can meet up with him and get some help planning our ride but I know those guys are crazy busy up at Rocky Knob Park right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0