DuPont trail conditions - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Any post Florence updates? Will be stopping by next Tuesday morning if conditions allow it.
    Forest re-opened today, around 2 PM, I believe. Looking at the forecast, you should have perfect conditions, assuming no rain Monday or Tuesday next week.

since 4/10/2009
    Careful with downed sticks and branches out there for a bit. Lots of derailleur-eaters on the ground right now. Mine was safe, but got some crap tangled up in my brake rotor. Some arm to leg-sized branches down scattered about. Nothing completely blocking anything on what I rode today (Burnt Mtn, Cedar Mtn, Big Rock), but a number of them poking out into the corridor 1/4 to 1/2 across the trail.

Some of the roads are still pretty wet. Sections of Corn Mill Shoals, especially, are like riding through shallow creeks right now. Solid trail tread, but under a little bit of water.

Lots of practice bunny hopping isolated muddy spots, too.

mtbr member
    Dupont will be CLOSED on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Merry Christmas!

mtbr member
    Are the gravel roads in dsf open and/or rideable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

since 4/10/2009
    Just saw a post on FB from Friends of Dupont that the trails are open

mtbr member
    Yes. Confirmed.

WNC Native
    Just FYI
    Name:  DSF.JPG
Views: 803
Size:  44.4 KB
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for posting. Hoping to get up there next Sunday or Monday. Even if it doesn't rain after tomorrow one of my favorite trails (Turkey Knob) will still have areas of mud. Honestly, that trail is always damp in certain areas but goodness these past few months have brought incredible amounts of rain.

mtbr member
    Dupont now has a new website:

https://www.dupontstaterecreationalforest.com

Trail status will be updated on the main page, below the menu. It can't be overlooked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Clicked the link, there is no notice about trail closures below the menu tabs. So, are the trails open?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just called, trails are open!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Clicked the link, there is no notice about trail closures below the menu tabs. So, are the trails open?
    Hmmm. Apparently it only appears when they are closed. It was an orange bar saying trails are closed. I'll suggest they make it show status when open, which would make it clear.

mtbr member
    Just finished a night ride tonight. Lots of low hanging stuff on the trails on the Corn Mill side. Lower Burnt has a bunch on the non-gnar side, gnar side has one blocking the trail about middle of the descent in the chunk. A few downed tree messes on Pine Tree and Cascade we tried to clear best we could. At least a few soft spots on every trail. The water and snow melt definitely moved stuff around: lots of rocks moved about. Some sections were still quite loose and leafy since there has been little traffic on the trails.
    Last edited by Timothy G. Parrish; 01-09-2019 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Reasonover from Fawn Lake parking to Turkey Knob is in good shape. Poplar Hill loop has some tree debris. Turkey Knob extension has the usual soft spots, but not too bad. Briery to Twin Oaks is littered with tree debris. A cut pine tree is currently laying across the creek on the west side of Briery, making the crossing much easier. Parts of Joanna on the way to Oak Tree are still in rough shape. Oak Tree has two small trees blocking the trail; can be removed with pruning saw. Chestnut Oak road is getting worse. Hilltop is good. Lake Imaging from Hilltop to Jim Branch is in rough shape closer to Jim Branch. There's a gully in the road near Jim Branch. Pitch Pine is good. Three Lakes still had several soft spots. Corn Mill from Issac Heath to Shoals has some sloppy sections with standing water. Laurel Ridge is good. Mine Mountain has some REALLY soft tread from Laurel to Fawn Lake. Best to avoid this section.

mtbr member
    Dupont singletrack trails closed until further notice due to weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Dupont singletrack trails closed because holy crap this is so much rain I hope the trails are ride-able by March.
    FIFY. I've lived and ridden here for 22 years and these are the worse winter conditions I've seen. bleh and meh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    FIFY. I've lived and ridden here for 22 years and these are the worse winter conditions I've seen. bleh and meh.
    Yeah, 10-12 days from now might be realistic. This is the heaviest and most consistent rainfall I can remember.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Lol. For real! It's so miserable!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Funny thing is, I just returned from South Florida visiting family. I took a bike because I knew it was going to be more of a swamp in Dupont than where I was going.

since 4/10/2009
    Funny thing is, I just returned from South Florida visiting family. I took a bike because I knew it was going to be more of a swamp in Dupont than where I was going.
    Sure, rub it in. I bought some new tires for my rowdy hardtail build (WTB Vigilante/Trailboss 2.6).

mtbr member
    Gravel is your friend lately. I bought a Kona Jake the Snake CX bike and have enjoyed doing some exploring on it the last few weekends.

mtbr member
    Just a FYI, Buckhorn Creek is now about 20 feet wide. You can no longer ride across it without getting wet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Timothy, do you think DuPont will be in good shape by midweek?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw View Post
    Timothy, do you think DuPont will be in good shape by midweek?
    I would think so. Sunny and dry until Thursday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Headed to Hendersonville today to visit inlaws. Was hoping to possibly ride dupont in the morning. Anyone in the area think the rain will hold off until tomorrow afternoon? The weather reports I'm seeing isn't showing much on the future radar until later in the day, but the hourly forecasts show the rain starting at dawn.

mtbr member
    Dupont is closed until Monday.

mtbr member
    Dupont is closed until Monday.
    Thanks for the heads up. Think it will be open on Monday?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't remember DuPont closing so much in the not so distant past. Are the closures due to more rain or more trail users? Also seems like the closures often end on Mondays... Perhaps there is some way of designing the trails to handle water better, since it rains every day here. Sand and clay on slopes should drain quite well.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I don't remember DuPont closing so much in the not so distant past. Are the closures due to more rain or more trail users? Also seems like the closures often end on Mondays... Perhaps there is some way of designing the trails to handle water better, since it rains every day here. Sand and clay on slopes should drain quite well.
    Traffic I am sure is a major factor. Because the un-armored hike only stuff closes, too.

Neither sand nor clay are ideal with lots of moisture and lots of traffic. Sand displaces easily on slopes and clay holds moisture which will rut badly with lots of added traffic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    My understanding is that it's part of the forest's new management procedures, they are apparently going out and evaluating trail conditions to make decisions after major rainfall or snow events to determine if the trails are in good enough conditions for use. I assume they end on a Monday because the decision makers aren't working over the weekends, but I could be mistaken and that's an assumption. I remember the way it was before, as well, and prior to the last 14 months or so, only recall a handful of closings, typically after a lot of snow melted.

This weekend seems like an odd one, the release I saw said they were closing "in expectation" of rainfall, which tells me they read the forecast, thought it was enough to justify closing, and closed thinking it might be merited.

Personally, I think it's a bit aggressive and this weekend's closure seems a bit ridiculous. Prior to when they started regular closings a year or so ago, I'd ride after rain and the majority of the trails were fine particularly around the Lake Imaging area, even after major rainfall. In fact, these days, I try to avoid it when it's dry because the sandy areas are much sketchier when it's dry than when it's wet. I expect the problem has more to do with the areas that are more sensitive, like out near Corn Mill Shoals and Fawn Lake. I don't mind closures when the ground is saturated or after major events (last May's rain, the snow melting in Dec, etc), but it seems a bit aggressive to me for them to close trails when the rain hasn't even hit yet and the weather in this area is notoriously unpredictable.

All that being said, I know it's a small force trying to manage a huge forest and I appreciate that they recognize closures are needed for ALL user groups and not just bikes. In a lot of other areas, bikes are seen as the only threat, at least in this case everyone is lumped into the same bucket, which keeps it a bit more fair and consistent. I also know it's a new process and so they are probably still learning how it should work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    My understanding is that it's part of the forest's new management procedures, they are apparently going out and evaluating trail conditions to make decisions after major rainfall or snow events to determine if the trails are in good enough conditions for use. I assume they end on a Monday because the decision makers aren't working over the weekends, but I could be mistaken and that's an assumption. I remember the way it was before, as well, and prior to the last 14 months or so, only recall a handful of closings, typically after a lot of snow.
    I remember that as well. I bet it has a lot to do with the amount of trail users in Dupont these days. Any day of the week it is packed with people.

mtbr member
    I remember doing one of those TFL rides on a Saturday Yearís ago when some of the double track had water a foot deep and the creek crossing at Corn Mill had a to have a rope across it so you didnít float away. Things change. I actually enjoy riding gravel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    I remember that as well. I bet it has a lot to do with the amount of trail users in Dupont these days. Any day of the week it is packed with people.
    I was in a meeting with DSRF last fall. It boils down to this: increased user traffic and limited resources to maintain and protect the forest. The policy is relatively new because the position of Recreation Director is new. That position was created and filled just under two years ago. There is one additional staff position that supports the RD position. So, there are two people assigned to manage recreation activities on all of DSRF and the 80+ miles of trails within. They understand some of the trails hold up well under wet conditions. However, some do not, and selectively restricting access to certain areas is a management challenge and it is easier to simply close everything. Trail maintenance is also the responsibility of these two individuals. So, two people plus volunteers is all they have to repair and maintain the trails. It's easier to prevent damage than it is to fix it.

mtbr member
    Trails were in great shape Monday. Fast and dry.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234