Dupont State Forest First Visit- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Dupont State Forest First Visit

Hey getting ready to go to DuPont with a buddy of mine the last weekend this month (May 2009) just wondering what all to expect? Is it a pretty rooty trail? How clear are the trails? Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and happy riding,
    Derrick

mtbr member
    Go ride it! It all good. Expect sweat and pain and fun and a map is very helpful. The phone doesn't work there, which is a good thing. Be nice to the locals, it will get you far. Swim at Fawn Lake. Don't tell anybody else though.

mtbr member
    My advice... keep making left hand turns. After an hour, or when you first hit a paved road, then break out the map. If you look at the map at every intersection you'll never make any forward progress. Keep it exciting. Do it my way!
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member

It Ain't "A Trail"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotonabike
    Hey getting ready to go to DuPont with a buddy of mine the last weekend this month (May 2009) just wondering what all to expect? Is it a pretty rooty trail? How clear are the trails? Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and happy riding,
    Derrick
    ...It's more like about 90 trail segments in a 'stacked loop' system comprising 90 miles or so. Some segments are rooty. Some segments are rocky. Some segments are smooth, straight, and boring gravel stretches, while other segments are great flowing descents with beautiful stream crossings followed by clean climbs and more descents. Check out the DSF rides on the Pisgah Area SORBA site:

https://www.pisgahareasorba.org/inde...est&Itemid=112

Also check out the map and other info at:

https://www.dupontforest.com/images/...DFMapFront.jpg

and

https://www.dupontforest.com/trails.asp

Do your homework BEFORE you hit the trail (as you're trying to do) and you can have several super rides for your first visit. Don't do so much homework, and spend your time looking at a map at every intersection wondering WTF... Hope you enjoy the visit!

Regards,
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    I was just there for my first time the other weekend. Lots of intersections. It was good to have a guide that knew his way around.
    Trails are not as rooty or rocky as Pisgah. The rocky sections were more like Moab.

Very fun place!! I loved airstrip and burnt mountain.

pronounced may-duh
    It's one of the most confusing places if you don't know where your going. Get a map. Have a plan of attack. Be prepared to alter your plan as you miss the turns. There are so many turns that you will undoubtable miss a few.

Or you could do like Chief and wander aimlessly. If your having a good day you may stumble on the good single track. If you have bad mojo, you will find yourself on the same 3 dirt roads. There is fantastic trails in there but they are hidden between many dirt roads.

May 2009
    Thanks everyone for the replies....I'm just a little afraid that DuPont won't be a big enough challenge? Am I right in assuming that? I enjoy rides like the single track at Salem Lake in Winston Salem and Owl's Roost in Greensboro. Just hoping I won't be disappointed!

pronounced may-duh
    I don't know those trails so I can't compare but DuPont is a ton of fun and very much worth riding.

I'd recomend starting at Corn Mills Shoals parking

Corn Mills Shoals
    Cross the river careful cause it's very slippery
    Laurel Mtn
    Mine Mtn
    Reasonover Creek
    Camp Summit
    Airstrip
    Barn Trail
    Bridal Veil Falls
    Corn Mill Shoals
    cross back over the river
    Burnt mtn clockwise
    Little river
    Second left onto Cedar mtn trail at the powerlines
    Big rock
    Back to the parking lot

That's 20 miles almost all single track and hits some of the most technical stuff in DuPont.

Have Fun!
    Make sure you bring a map.

banned

if you don't find dupont challenging enough...

Quote Originally Posted by pilotonabike
    Thanks everyone for the replies....I'm just a little afraid that DuPont won't be a big enough challenge? Am I right in assuming that? I enjoy rides like the single track at Salem Lake in Winston Salem and Owl's Roost in Greensboro. Just hoping I won't be disappointed!
    roll down the road about 15 minutes to pisgah. I am sure you won't have any trouble finding a big enough challenge. Maybe do a search for the checkpoints from TMHTE or PMBAR and see how many of them you can reach.

Just ride!
    This is a great route. Definitely get a map. There will be times you will make a wrong turn, which will not get you lost but you may miss a good trail.

After riding the route below, Look at where you are parked and drive to the parking lot trailhead named Lake Imaging.
    Lake Imaging
    Left onto Jim Branch # 41 (Slightly steep and technical at the beginning, but fun)
    Left onto Buck Forest Rd # 8 (Fire Road)
    Left onto White Pine Trail # 89

You have two options here:

1. Left onto Hooker Creek Trail # 37, a nice winding rolling single track. This trail ends at the ultimate destination trail for this ride: Ridgeline Trail # 65. You can turn left here and enjoy a wide, sweeping descent. This is my favorite descent at Dupont, similar to the Thompson downhill at Tsali in difficulty but with faster speed and longer length.
    However, I recommend option #2

2. Left onto Hooker Creek Trail # 37. At the end of Hooker Creek Trail, turn RIGHT up
    Ridgeline Trail #65. Ride back to the split entry at the Ridgeline trail and veer right onto
    Hickory Mountain Loop # 32. This loop trail is short, with a moderate climb at the beginning and great downhill with switchbacks. This trail loops back to the Ridgeline Trail # 65.

Right onto Ridgeline Trail. Shift into big Ring, little gear in the rear, smile and attack.

From here, you can end the ride, or add the following for another decent downhill.

At the End of Ridgeline:

Right onto Lake Imaging Road # 45
    Left onto Locust Trail # 52
    Left (more like a veer) onto Isaac Heath Trail #40
    Left to the destination trail on this small loop Jim Branch Trail # 41
    Jim Branch was the nasty little climb at the beginning of the above loop. That climb makes a fun descent to end at Dupont.

https://www.dupontforest.com/images/...DFMapFront.jpg

That is a ink to the map. You can save yourself some cash using that one. However, the map can be purchased at Sycamore Cycles for $10, the proceeds supporting the bike shop and trail maintenance. The map is worth the money. The map is sturdy, waterproof, and is a larger and easier to read version of the map above. Plus the guys at Sycamore are very good with alternate route recommendations.

The recommendation about the water crossing is accurate. That is a swift wet water crossing I have seen most people bust their behinds trying to ride. In fact, the only successful crossing I have witnessed was two newbies that had no fear or clue about the slippery crossing.

All of the water crossings are deeper than they look.

Lastly, Dupont blows away the trails in Greensboro. Owls Roost is fun, but is closer to riding in Pisgah. DuPont has slickrock riding, and great flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I don't know those trails so I can't compare but DuPont is a ton of fun and very much worth riding.

I'd recomend starting at Corn Mills Shoals parking

Corn Mills Shoals
    Cross the river careful cause it's very slippery
    Laurel Mtn
    Mine Mtn
    Reasonover Creek
    Camp Summit
    Airstrip
    Barn Trail
    Bridal Veil Falls
    Corn Mill Shoals
    cross back over the river
    Burnt mtn clockwise
    Little river
    Second left onto Cedar mtn trail at the powerlines
    Big rock
    Back to the parking lot

That's 20 miles almost all single track and hits some of the most technical stuff in DuPont.

Have Fun!
    Make sure you bring a map.

May 2009
    Thanks!...I'm busting at the seams to go....one week from Friday!.....

mtbr member
    I don't like any of the routes any of you have posted, can you please post more routes until I am satisfied?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Gabe.....
    Cross the stream in your socks..................it was bright green at the bottom when I saw it. If you fall and slide, your fuct.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Official Cooler Inspector
    ^ ^ ^ Best advise ^ ^ ^

Stick an extra pair of socks in a baggie for change over. Also, tie/velcro your shoes to your body and carry the bike out of the water.

Depend on weather - you could end up ankle deep or thigh deep.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    ^ ^ ^ Best advise ^ ^ ^

Stick an extra pair of socks in a baggie for change over. Also, tie/velcro your shoes to your body and carry the bike out of the water.

Depend on weather - you could end up ankle deep or thigh deep.
    I'll second or third that advice. The socks will give you traction on the slick rocks. I've also heard too many stories of shoes floating down the river to not attach my shoes to myself. My method is to use the ratchet on my shoes to connect one to the other and put it through a loop on my hydration pack.
    i ride bikes

yeah, uh............bikes
    never tried the extra socks thing, sounds like a good idea. I just tie my laces together and throw the shoes around my neck, the just pick up the bike and walk thru the DEEPEST part of the stream possible, deeper water = less current = more balance.

last time i walked thru that crossing, i slipped, almost dropped my bike, and ended up doing a 360 while trying not to go face first into the water. came out dry on the other side and was quite amused with myself.

mtbr member
    Why can't something be built at the crossing?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    Because it's a mountain bike trail.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    Like a kicker?

The crossing is saahhhweeeetttt. Sure sometimes it may be unsettling to walk across in January but that just means that the pansies can't get across and you get to laugh at them. Now that is funny!!!!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Its got what plants crave
    You can ride across if you know what you're doing.

I however do not, and crashed in the drink on my last attempt. That said, IMO DuPont is one of the most beautiful places around, and even if the trails sucked I'd still walk/pedal around just to peep the scenery. I cannot believe it was once on the chopping block of urban sprawl. Such a beautiful place.

drunken pirate
    I really think they need to put an elevated sidewalk with guard rails over the Little River crossing. Or maybe they could just reroute the river away from the trail... Or a kicker would be sweet as well!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Or maybe they could just reroute the river away from the trail...
    You Sir, are brilliant. I believe up and over would be the preferred re-route.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Dig it!
    I think that Woody has been working on a plan and trying to get some grant money or some thing along those lines. I think that a smaller bridge would be perfect but it seems that DSF wants the bridge to be suitable for horses. Granted all of this info is all through the grapevine, so take it for what you will....
    Should you do more trail work?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    You can ride across if you know what you're doing.

I however do not, and crashed in the drink on my last attempt. That said, IMO DuPont is one of the most beautiful places around, and even if the trails sucked I'd still walk/pedal around just to peep the scenery. I cannot believe it was once on the chopping block of urban sprawl. Such a beautiful place.
    I've ridden it when the water was low and walked it when it was knee deep. It's a mountain bike trail, not a greenbelt, no need to change it.
    i ride bikes

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid
    I think that Woody has been working on a plan and trying to get some grant money or some thing along those lines. I think that a smaller bridge would be perfect but it seems that DSF wants the bridge to be suitable for horses. Granted all of this info is all through the grapevine, so take it for what you will....
    disappointing

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    disappointing
    Yes. But not surprising.

Carbon8er
    Be very careful crossing the river at cornmill. I have been riding Dupont for many years and have crossed the river there many times without incident.

A month ago I tried crossing and went down into the water.
    The bottom is like ice and the current knocked me off my feet.
    I struggled to hold on, but I had to let go of the bike because it was dragging me over the small falls.
    The bike floated down stream a 100ft or so and then stopped on the side of the river.

The slick rock river bottom was way more slimy and slick than I have ever seen it.
    It makes it a real challenge to stand up, let alone carry your bike.
    I have only been able to ride across the river one time many years ago, but that was on 2.7" tires at about 10 pounds of pressure.

Advice is to keep your tires out of the river, carry the bike.
    Go just a little bit upstream (a few feet) because the river bottom dips down a bit and it gives you a better foot hold.

If you try and ride it, be carefull. The bottom is slick rock with green slime growing on it. Be preparred to fall and get wet.

Just some advice from a local rider.

May 2009
    hey thanks!

Carbon8er
    Ride safe.

see ya

Members who have read this thread: 0