Dupont State Forest - Describe what your ideal trail would be for this trail system.- Mtbr.com
    Support Pisgah Area Soba

Listen! Dupont State Forest - Describe what your ideal trail would be for this trail system.

Include a short description of what your ideal trail would be in the Dupont State Recreational Forest. Of course this is each persons opinion and no ridicule for ones idea is needed. But all opinions are welcome. If your opinion is the same as someone else's opinion please copy it into your post. (An opinion is an opinion there is no right or wrong everyone is entitled to their own so there is no need to say why it is a bad or good idea.)

For Example:

I would enjoy all the trails connecting to each other with the least minimal fire road usage.
    Please include more technical trails, for example more rocks in the trail, etc. Don't cut out trees to accommodate the trail. The trail should go around the trees.
    Last edited by Logover; 01-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

ohhman
    One way jump lines, legit DH. Flow flow flow. A perfect counterpart to Pisgah. So just a few new trails...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hand built bench cut trail that contours around Lake Julia.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    A comment from Facebook.

Not on mtbr but here's my take on DuPont. Machine built, moderately technical, makes use of terrain unique to that area (ie slab rock), bike specific options, offers alternatives to long gravel connectors such as conservation rd, sheep mtn, etc. I like the trend of restoring fall line trails like cedar rock with armoring and re-routes. Things I would like to see added to Dupont: One-way, bike specific trails. More resurfaced, machine built technical sections (think rocky knob park in Boone). Longer trails

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    One way jump lines, legit DH. Flow flow flow. A perfect counterpart to Pisgah. So just a few new trails...
    all that and some drops, gaps, tables, etc. maybe even with some parallel alternates. eg beginner, intermediate, advanced...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

muscogeemasher
    Apr 2011
    I agree on trail to link up allmthe good stuff that is already there. Hand built trail that flows and is sustainable is pretty rare and pretty awesome, but I realize it is very time intensive. Any trail that is off limits to horsesmwould be highly welcome. Maybe we could trade and stay off some trail that is not great for biking.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Another Post from Facebook

I have been saying this for years, but a connector trail between Poplar Hill Loop & Briery Fork Trail would open up some new routes that would be very cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post

I have been saying this for years, but a connector trail between Poplar Hill Loop & Briery Fork Trail would open up some new routes that would be very cool.
    There is one there already...long in disuse and overgrown. I have walked it. There is a bog there that has some wire mesh laid down to go around it. Only saw one piece of trash.
    mike

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by Logover

+1 on this connector

drunken pirate
    I'd say I'd like it to be more like Pisgah but the truth is I don't care. As it is now it is the perfect counterpart to Pisgah as salmansp said.

Something that really needs to be considered in these threads is the great diversity of riding we have in this area. There is no reason why Pisgah should be more like Dupont or why Dupont should be more like Pisgah. We are fortunate enough to be able to ride the type of trail that we prefer. If you like the flowy and smooth non technical riding with hills instead of mountains, go to Dupont. If you like the rugged stuff, go to Pisgah.

I rode Pisgah 96 times last year and Dupont 9 times. I'm sure there are people whose numbers are the opposite of that. We are very lucky that we can pick the experience that fits our personal definition of quality.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    As pointed out by Mike047, there's a faint connector between Poplar & Briery; as also pointed out by Mike047, that route isn't sustainable--we shouldn't make it any more inviting to the casual user by trampling it in. A sustainable connector has been proposed, flagged, and GPS'd between Turkey Knob (closer to Pinnacle Mtn Rd than Poplar Loop) and Briery. Because such a connector would allow trail users to avoid Pinnacle Mtn Rd, it's high on the 'wish list' (and the funding list) of the Friends of Dupont Forest Trail Committee

FoDF is doing a great job of funding the trail system at DSRF, but ran into a couple snags during 2011--at the urging of the Trails Committee, the FoDF Board approved some $80K for trails in 2011, but was only able to get ~$30K on the ground (Micajah reroute, Cascade Trail, Pine Tree extension, Hilltop reroute, Pitch Pine reroute, Three Lakes Trail) because of state funding guidelines--the state would only spend what the NC budget had approved for DSRF work, even though FoDF was providing additional funds for such work. FoDF should soon be able to directly fund trail projects, so the state's budget limits won't restrict FoDF spending in 2012. The FoDF Trail Committee has proposed (and flagged and GPS'd) a connector between Sheep Mountain Trail and the old 'horse ford' area near Hooker Falls; this proposed connector has seen major support on the FoDF Trails Committee since the closure of Galax Trail. If you'd like to help with DSRF projects, send a note to [email protected] to get on the distribution list for trail days, or you can join Friends of Dupont Forest--your membership money will go toward Forest projects...

TZ
    Last edited by TrailZen; 01-04-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: ...keeping things positive!
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    I rode Pisgah 96 times last year and Dupont 9 times. I'm sure there are people whose numbers are the opposite of that. We are very lucky that we can pick the experience that fits our personal definition of quality.
    I'm not the opposite; in fact, I'm similar -- I think I rode DuPont 4 times total. The main reason for that doesn't have to do with the riding style, however.

First, let me say I appreciate DuPont for what it is. Same with Pisgah. Different rides, different experiences. I enjoy DuPont with my wife and kid(s), or on my own. Pisgah is more me or buddies cajoling ourselves down Farlow.

That said, in an ideal world, my DuPont would utilize some of the more remote areas to reduce user conflicts. One of my favorite areas is over by Sheep Mountain, connecting to the Corn Mill Shoals area, primarily because I see so little horse traffic there. Ridgleline is super fun -- at 5 a.m. ... but at 5 p.m. it's just not all that, as I check my speed around every blind corner lest there be a hiker or horseman on the way up.

While most of my encounters with equestrians and hikers at DuPont are fairly cordial, they are not always, and it's unpleasant to deal with the bias and ignorance that's out there -- on all sides.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Last edited by Logover; 01-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member

Pardon Me...

...I've edited my post to keep things more positive!!

TZ
    Last edited by TrailZen; 01-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd like to see more planning that would lead to easy-to-follow loops. There are a few areas that could use new trail to connect existing trail, but what less experienced visitors would benefit greatly from is a system of color-coded routes that could be added to existing trail signage. Rather than stop every 3 minutes to pull out their map and directions, newer and visiting riders could choose a loop and simply turn left or right according to the colored arrows. We all know how often people come on this forum looking for directions or a guide.

And a trail from the quarry to Staton road would encourage more use of Micajah. A replacement for Galax trail and a better way to get from Hooker Falls to the Lake Imaging lot. I'd like some reason to go into the section below Stone Mtn, and if a trail utilized the ridge along Wintergreen... There's a lot of lumpy rock out there that would make for great walking-pace technical riding. I'd like to see some tight, hand-built trail, but I know that's not likely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    all that and some drops, gaps, tables, etc. maybe even with some parallel alternates. eg beginner, intermediate, advanced...
    These 2 guys got it right!

Dig it!
    I would love to see some single direction flow trails with professionally built jumps. The jumps don't have to be huge. I would be happy to help build a horse/hike alternate route for a said trails.

I would also like to see a connector trail around the base of Stone Mountain over to the Dismal Creek area. The area would be great for so many small alternate routes. The area could also provide a small parking lot off of CCC road near Crab Creek.
    Should you do more trail work?

WNC Native
    QUOTE=D.F.L.;8879226] I'd like some reason to go into the section below Stone Mtn, and if a trail utilized the ridge along Wintergreen... There's a lot of lumpy rock out there that would make for great walking-pace technical riding. I'd like to see some tight, hand-built trail, but I know that's not likely.[/QUOTE]

I also would really like to see something like this trail come to be. It would be nice to have and to add to the diversity of Dupont's trails.

I agree with those above that some single direction flow trails would be nice too. They could be built beside existing trails that could be used for all users and climbing back up to hit the flow trail again. I'll be surprised if such ever really happens there though.

The trail connector off of Turkey Knob is high up on my list, connectors that keep you off gravel and on more trails are always good in my book.

Continued sweet trail reworks and reroutes comparable to what has been done in the last couple of years. Trail Dynamics is doing a sweet job. I would be game for maybe some Sorba evening trail work sessions on week days.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    These 2 guys got it right!
    +1000!!! And berms please!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    I would love to see some single direction flow trails with professionally built jumps. The jumps don't have to be huge. I would be happy to help build a horse/hike alternate route for a said trails.

I would also like to see a connector trail around the base of Stone Mountain over to the Dismal Creek area. The area would be great for so many small alternate routes. The area could also provide a small parking lot off of CCC road near Crab Creek.
    If there was word of a trail like this being built, I would make the 2:45 drive to help build it and I bet I could get several friends to help as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    This...although I don't really care where. Bent Creek, Pisgah, Dupont...wherever.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I would like to see a piece of singletrack that would provide a way of getting from the Pine Tree/Buck Forest/Sheep Mtn area over to the Guion Farm area. The roads aren't very fun and crowded with tourists.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank View Post
    I would like to see a piece of singletrack that would provide a way of getting from the Pine Tree/Buck Forest/Sheep Mtn area over to the Guion Farm area. The roads aren't very fun and crowded with tourists.

Hmmm, are you not from VA? Does that not make you a tourist

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Ha! I suppose so.
    i ride bikes

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    up ridgeline?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7 View Post
    up ridgeline?
    That would get you from Lake Imaging. How would you recommend getting from the Pine Tree and Sheep Mtn area to Lake Imaging without much paved or gravel road?
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank View Post
    That would get you from Lake Imaging. How would you recommend getting from the Pine Tree and Sheep Mtn area to Lake Imaging without much paved or gravel road?
    A trail has been proposed and flagged connecting Hooker Falls area to Sheep Mtn. NC Wildlife Commision oppsed the concept noting that was prime hunting area. David Brown took that into consideration and the flagline was revisted and tweeked (Chuck Ramsey didmost of the flagging work and I help out one day). David decided to move forward with the proposal, but his boss derailed the project for now asking to only focus on trails that are having serious water quality issues (which there are plenty of those in DSF). I would guess the trail will get built, but not in the next year or three (maybe in the next 5 when other problems are dealt with).

pronounced may-duh
    The new hilltop trail (I think that's the name) cuts out a section of lake imaging road. It's also a super fun trail. Whoever built it certainly knows what they are doing

Then take locust to Issac heath to Jim branch then up ridgeline. the only road section is on buck forest and it's fairly short (time wise) compared to the single track.

mtbr member
    The new hilltop trail (I think that's the name) cuts out a section of lake imaging road. It's also a super fun trail. Whoever built it certainly knows what they are doing
    But it's so smooth and flowy and well-drained--super-sano!! And horses love it, too, so it's got horse poo on the tread!! Wah, wah!!!!

The same folks who generated the flagline for Hilltop Trail are responsible for the flagline for the proposed connector between Sheep and Hooker--should be fun when it's finally on the ground...

Then take locust to Issac heath to Jim branch then up ridgeline. the only road section is on buck forest and it's fairly short (time wise) compared to the single track.
    Coming back by way of Hooker Creek to hit Buck Forest? Try this instead: Stay on Ridgeline to Hickory Mtn, then left on Boundary, right on Guion, left on Rifle, cross Sky Valley Rd and pick up Shoals Creek trail. Back to Guion parking via Farmhouse, Flatwoods, or the end of Shoals Creek and right on Sky Valley Rd for ~1/4 mile...

TZ

Dig it!

A FATS style trail

I would love to see a long sinewy contour based trail designed similarly to Brown wave or Deep Step in the Forks Area Trail System. This single trail could be designed for all ability levels, but needs to be ridable for kids. A big pumpy trail the teaches balance, timing, momentum, and confidence.

The area directly across Sky Valley road from the Kids Loop at Guion Farm parking area would be perfect for this trail. Its all white pines on a wide gradual slope and if you were to utilize the whole area you could provide a tremendous resource to the beginner rider/kids who could hit it right from the parking lot. In the area it should be able to be pumped in both directions. It also has a natural border of a creek and a perimeter trail (Shoal creek/ Farm House/Flatwoods) already exists. It would also provide something that doesn't exist in WNC and would surely have a high number of user days per year .
    Should you do more trail work?